"the Database"

JanetAnne

Im curious to know how many visits to the site occur. I’m always looking up boats, especially the woodies. I only discovered from the sitethe other day our boat used to be called Wren 2 and has changed registration number. Id like to change her back to her original number. Im assuming it changed it went to the Ouse for a while. 

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

if you had been in your back garden at the time the photograph had been taken, then maybe, but as these photos were taken in public on the water, then they do not fall under privacy laws (at least that is my belief)

There is no right to privacy in a public place and even private land is subject to the test of how the photo was obtained. So if I pass your house and think your front garden looks nice and take a picture of it, that is fine. However if I use a pair of step ladders to look over your back garden fence and take a picture that is not fine. Drones have added a whole new dimension to that debate because they can easily access areas that one would normally consider as private.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Im curious to know how many visits to the site occur. I’m always looking up boats, especially the woodies. I only discovered from the sitethe other day our boat used to be called Wren 2 and has changed registration number. Id like to change her back to her original number. Im assuming it changed it went to the Ouse for a while. 

My understanding is that when a boat leaves the Broads the reg number becomes available, but is not immediately reused. If the boat returns to the Broads and it is identified as being previously on the Broads and the number is still available, it will get the same number, so that would indicate that either the original number has been used elsewhere, or it wasn't known when the boat was re-registered on the Broads. Worth contacting the BA though if you think it is available and really want to change it back.

• Like 1

According to my missus who’s job it was to police images, Craig should have got model release forms signed by all he photographed, but in the real world this is not going to happen, people have the right to ask for images to be removed should they be such offended 

1 minute ago, Meantime said:

My understanding is that when a boat leaves the Broads the reg number becomes available, but is not immediately reused. If the boat returns to the Broads and it is identified as being previously on the Broads and the number is still available, it will get the same number, so that would indicate that either the original number has been used elsewhere, or it wasn't known when the boat was re-registered on the Broads. Worth contacting the BA though if you think it is available and really want to change it back.

When my folks bought their current boat(a Broom ex-hire)it had been on the Ouse for about 20 years. Using the Database and bits and pieces on board we were able to corrrectly identify her original Broads reg number and use it again once re-tolled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I think before we get carried away with how the database will be updated, we need to give Dave some time to assimilate what he has and how it works at the moment, and to get a team of database gurus on side to assist him, only then we he be able to consider how updates will happen.

the important thing is that the database is safe and its future secure. everything else comes later.

Absolutely, but in fairness Dave has asked for ideas and suggestions: see post 6.

7 minutes ago, Victoryv said:

As regards photos of your front garden, strictly speaking they cannot publish without the owners permission, again real world applies

Correct

I used to photograph our local councils Garden competition. Permission forms had to be collected from every entrant.

No signature. Not published

This was the case every year since it started in the 80's. We even had to then get their permission for the prize winners photo's to be used.

7 minutes ago, Victoryv said:

As regards photos of your front garden, strictly speaking they cannot publish without the owners permission, again real world applies

In the United Kingdom there are no laws forbidding photography of private property from a public place. However the test of reasonable right to privacy exists which would determine whether the photographer was trespassing or taking extra measures such as using steps to look over a high fence. 

Since a photographer generally has full rights of the images they also have the right to publish them without permission from the people in the images unless there has been a breach of privacy, were taken whilst trespassing or a breach of duty such as sharing confidential information.

11 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Correct

I used to photograph our local councils Garden competition. Permission forms had to be collected from every entrant.

No signature. Not published

This was the case every year since it started in the 80's. We even had to then get their permission for the prize winners photo's to be used.

I think the big differentiator here is whether it is taken for Commercial, or non - Commercial reasons. Since the database was not published commercially then model or property release forms would not apply. Something that Dave would need to consider should he decide to make the database pay by introducing a subscription, which I'm in no way suggesting should be the case.

I think a lot of it is to do with how an image is used. If someone in the pic can clearly be identified and it is to be used for publication, that person may want a slice of the cake. A picture of a house used as a generic picture of a house may not draw attention unless the owner is aware, but identified by an address or as a person's address then permission would certainly be needed. Besides, it's courteous.

The problem with boats on the Broads is that they all have idividual names/numbers and therefore are easily identified but as the database is clearly not for profit, I doubt whether anyone would be more bothered than to kindly ask that an image be removed.

• Like 1

If you think about it, the likes of Google Streetmap go round taking pictures of literally the whole country, if not most of the world, including our homes and cars. That is for commercial gain, and they do not get everyone on the planet to sign release forms.

• Like 1

Some very interesting points already. That's why I started this thread, to get some useful feedback.

It is my intention to keep the site free to use and retain its non commercial status.

I also plan to bring other people in so that it can be updated faster.  Craig did it all himself and sometimes it took him months to update a listing, much to his frustration. 

I also need to establish some sort of protocol for its future. When Craig left us the site had absolutely nothing in place for that eventuality. I would like something set up so that, should I suddenly leave this planet, the database is both protected and more easily passed on next time.

It was only because Craigs wife realised the importance of the database that it's still here now.

Again, I value your thoughts.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

If you think about it, the likes of Google Streetmap go round taking pictures of literally the whole country, if not most of the world, including our homes and cars. That is for commercial gain, and they do not get everyone on the planet to sign release forms.

They will however blur your house out if you contact them and say you do not want the image used. Most of the pictures on this forum including the holiday tales section would fall foul of the law if property and or model release forms were needed.

The big distinctions are a reasonable expectation to privacy. A 6 foot fence around your front garden would give you this, whereas no fence or a 2 foot fence wouldn't, followed by whether you intend to publish for commercial or non commercial gain. I would suggest in the case of non commercial gain, if someone asked politely to remove their picture most people would. 

Firstly we would like to say thank you for taking this data base on as it is an asset to anyone that loves The boats and The Broads. 

With regards to privacy there are many U Tube videos about with condescending flippant comments, showing boat names and crews around the Ludham Bridge area amongst other places so you should be fine.

This database has always been a part of our Broads,  another thankyou to Craig and his family and a thankyou to you and a wonderful tribute to Craig, for looking after it and taking on its future. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 25/07/2022 at 20:43, JanetAnne said:

Craig will be a hard act to follow 

I am sure you do yourself a diservice and will do a sterling job to maintain the high standards set before you.

The very best of luck to you :default_smile:

So glad the database is now safe and will continue, something that valuable just couldn't be lost, Craig Photographed my first boat a couple of times, and the one I own now when previous owners had it, I look forward to our new Custodian running and updating the site, regards Ted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddybear said:

So glad the database is now safe and will continue, something that valuable just couldn't be lost, Craig Photographed my first boat a couple of times, and the one I own now when previous owners had it, I look forward to our new Custodian running and updating the site, regards Ted

This has solved what was for me a mystery. I didn't know what database was being referred to or who Craig was. However,  in 2007 we had a narrow boat built and returned to it one day to find a chap taking photos of it. I'm presuming this was Craig. How does one access this database?

Carole

34 minutes ago, addicted said:

This has solved what was for me a mystery. I didn't know what database was being referred to or who Craig was. However,  in 2007 we had a narrow boat built and returned to it one day to find a chap taking photos of it. I'm presuming this was Craig. How does one access this database?

Carole

It can be found here

• Thanks 1

This is fantastic news, I've put a few posts in the past asking if Craigs legacy will be preserved. I met Craig in Horning shortly before his tragic demise, what a lovely unassuming Guy.

There are no personal details on this database, so please stop all this nonsense about data protection and let's give Dave our full support. I await to hear what we can do by way of photos etc.

I think Craig got the balance absolutely right in non disclosure of personal details, yet information about the actual boats being so accessible.

As the Americans say 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Well done Dave, I look forward to your database developments, I'm sure you didn't undertake this onerous task without your eyes wide open. 

• Like 9