Which Ex Hire Boat For Single Handed Use

Dave Beard

My wife has recently had more illness problems and now she cant help with mooring any more 

so I've been thinking about changing the boat to something more suitable for me to moor and dock

on my own, the current boat is a Alpha 32 one level and although I can do it all on my own there may 

be something else even easier for a 67 year old your opinions will be greatly accepted.

Hi Dave, I've hired single-handed many times. I don't think there's a stand out best option and having hired different designs they all have their pros and cons. My preference would be something with good rest visibility (so maybe not forward steer) and no larger than what you have now.

• Like 1

I'd add centre cleats to your current boat, a reversing camera and keep it!  I've single handed many boats for work and pleasure and the easiest were the ones with quick access to the side decks and both bow / stern ropes.  Forward steer boats were usually one of the easiest for me.

On your boat ensure the stern rope reaches the bow close to where you are steering from and have good access, ensure it has one turn around the centre cleat.  Step off with both ropes but secure the one on the centre cleat first, once tight the boats not going far and you can then sort the others.

They are not so good at reversing but this is where the camera comes into use and maybe your wife can still call out directions and guidance. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

I've single handed many boats for work and pleasure and the easiest were the ones with quick access to the side decks and both bow / stern ropes.  Forward steer boats were usually one of the easiest for me.

Exactly what I was going to say!

The main thing is the ability to get out from the helm to the deck, before the boat blows away from the bank in the wind!  In this respect a bow thruster is no use to you, once you have left the helm position.

I do not agree that a small boat is easier, in fact it is most often more difficult.  A long, heavy boat will not blow around so much in the wind and will also have a nice long keel to keep it straight in the water.

Centre cockpit boats are not easy, especially if the canopy is closed, so you have to go out through the back door. They are also difficult as you get older, and cannot clamber out over the seats, onto the deck!

My choice would be the good old Bounty 37.  All round level side decks, access fore and aft, a long hull with a deep keel and a balanced rudder for steering when in neutral.  I can honestly say that they are the easiest hire boats I have ever handled.  If you don't like mooring stern on, then moor bow on and step off the front, where there are mooring cleats on either side.  In this case, they are very adaptable for people in wheelchairs.

Above all, prepare your mooring lines in advance and take your time.  Do everything gently.  There is an old saying on boatyards  :  Let the boat do the work!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Exactly what I was going to say!

The main thing is the ability to get out from the helm to the deck, before the boat blows away from the bank in the wind!  In this respect a bow thruster is no use to you, once you have left the helm position.

Thrusters can be remotely operated, ideal for solo helms.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

For me I'm afraid that would "over egg the pudding" .

Keep it simple. Do it gently is very good advice, Do not put too much energy into the boat  approaching or leaving your mooring. If you can plan well ahead.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wussername said:

For me I'm afraid that would "over egg the pudding" .

Keep it simple. Do it gently is very good advice, Do not put too much energy into the boat  approaching or leaving your mooring. If you can plan well ahead.

I am a great believer in KIS and doing it all nice and gently however having a remote thruster or even two in your pocket for when things go pearshaped when solo mooring is no bad thing. Just wish they didnt make such a darn racket.

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Somehow, I had a feeling someone was going to say that.

It depends if you want the pleasure and hands-on skill of boat handling, or would rather stand on the bank and operate the whole thing with a little joy-stick. 

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

How does a remote thruster work? Genuine question. 

Andrew.

The one we had on Lightning was like a car key fob you could hang around your neck, it also operated the anchor winch.  Handy for when your stuck on the bank watching then boat drift away.......:default_biggrin:

• Like 2

Vaughan, sorry but does your car have power steering?

Thrusters are a handy tool not BUT vital, having just driven a car without power steering and UNserveod brakes and no syncro gearbox, I have nothing but admiration for the pioneers of driving.

paul

• Like 1

I’d only ever used bounty 37s and 42s when hiring and loved them so much I bought a horizon 35. I now use her on my own much of the time and as others have said, forward planning with ropes etc is the way to go. It’s so easy to access the bank from the front well and with the stern rope brought up to the bow, simple to take hold of both at once. I’ve bought a couple of centre cleats to fit. I also keep the rhond hooks handy rather than storing them away, so any time I see an enticing wild mooring I can use it without any faffing about. 
My top criteria for buying was definitely easy access from front and back with the ability to see out of the back door. The horizon 35 has a central door, whereas the bounty 37’s door is offset and not so easy to see down the boat and through it. 
Bonuses that came with my boat purchase were bow thruster, (very handy when on my own but I think I could manage without with practice), reversing camera which takes some getting used to and good for when going very slowly stern on. I find without it I tend to leave a bit of a gap, try to get off and have to go back to the helm and reverse some more! (With other people on board I don’t mind leaving her in reverse gear to hold her to the quay, but don’t like leaving her in gear if leaving the helm seat when on my own). The reversing camera doesn’t show the sides of the boat though. And a port side wing mirror which is just BRILLIANT. So good I’m thinking of putting one on the starboard side too. 
The other thing I have fitted is a safety ladder, pull down type. I don’t intend using it! And don’t think it’d be much use if I were to fall in when going along, but then how would I do that if I were driving! But if I were to fall in on a mooring I’d at least have a chance of getting back on board. Maybe it’s over the top, but for less than £40, potentially worth every penny. Oh, and I wear my life jacket all the time when on my own. 

Whatever you do, don’t get a boat with no side decks. I have seen some hire boat designs without them.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Centre cockpit boats are not easy, especially if the canopy is closed, so you have to go out through the back door. They are also difficult as you get older, and cannot clamber out over the seats, onto the deck!

I agree, to a point, Vaughan but it depends on the boat. If it's a centre cockpit with a side hatchback or two then that helps a lot. Also, if it's not raining, there's the option if dropping the roof back a bit to enable a side exit. I don't normally have a problem exiting the side but I appreciate this depends on physical abilities.

• Like 2

Just a little tip about preparation, that I forgot to mention earlier.

Before you come in to moor, make sure that all access doors are open and clipped back, which includes any corridor doors inside the boat. This also gives you a good view out through the back door from the helm.

It is a bit embarrassing if you are faffing about trying to open a door at the last minute, especially in that little Bounty aft door well, where the door often gets jammed half open by a mooring line. Then you are in a muddle!

• Like 3

also when cruising solo, I find it important to lay your mooring lines out ready for mooring when you are untying them and departing from the previous mooring, its either that or stopping somewhere half way to get the m prepared for the next mooring (fine up north where you can just heave to on a broad, but not so much fun on the rivers down south.

I always bring my mooring lines front and back to the helm position, and loop the front around the centre cleat, that way I can step off and get that line tied, once the boat is tied, I can then go round and tie any other lines and adjust the front line back onto the bow.

• Like 3

The mention of using rhond anchors on a solo cruise reminded me how difficult this is. I knew I would need them if I was to moor on the top end of the dyke at Thurne where there are limited posts, so had them handy. Stepping ashore with two ropes and the anchors was easy enough. It was holding everything in place while trying to dig the rhond anchors into the hard turf that was difficult. Casting off is also not easy as you have to untie the anchored ropes then prise the rhonds out of the ground. Anybody have any tips?

• Like 4

Wow I didn't expect this amount of replies, so maybe I've touched on an interesting subject, firstly thank you for all the 

suggestion's, my Alpha already has a Bow thruster and a reversing camera, so I've decided we will keep the boat

and take on the ideas about centre cleats Port and Starboard with the Stern ropes pre-tied to them and led forward

My wife Helms the boat regularly but says she can't do the docking I will work on that one, and also now I am 

very interested in finding out what a Stern thruster would cost to have fitted?  P.S. I found a winch remote kit that should

also be good for operating the Bow thruster for very little money on Flea Bay  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234644673510

Kind Regards

Dave Beard

• Like 1