A Week On Pacific Star

tim

Saturday 2nd July

Firstly, I must apologise for the lateness of this holiday tale, I hope there isn’t a sell by date on the blogs?   :default_wink:

I’ve been a bit busy at work plus I turned 65 this week, after months of being an ‘ostrich’ and ignoring all the letters on a couple of final salary pensions that I had from a few years ago, I’ve finally got round to sorting them out

They don’t make it easy with some of the jargon, do they?

Anyway, all sorted, I was never going to retire just yet, but I am going to cut my days down to three in the new tax year, I actually enjoy my work and like people I work with

I made a promise some months ago to Helen to write one, I like to keep promises I make!

I apologise if I ramble a bit  :default_sad:

We booked again with Pacific Cruisers, this time with Star, a Moores 40, with electric canopy, microwave and hydraulic bow thrusters, 30 years old but well cared for. In fact, we had this boat last September when we went away with Mandy’s sister and hubby.

This time the crew were Mandy, daughter Susie and Lottie the dog, two years ago after the first lock down was lifted, we went away with both Susie and son Nick as there wasn’t much else going on. Nick hated it but Susie loved it and has been back every time since especially as dad is paying!

I loaded the car up on Friday evening, it’s a good job the boat has a kitchen sink, because I think we packed everything else! The car was rammed and considering it’s a big Volvo Estate, it took some doing!  :default_wink:

We left home at 9.30am from Maidstone and arrived in Loddon at about 12.15pm, 2 & 3/4hrs for 135miles

Our hand over time was between 2pm and 2.30pm, normally I ask for an earlier time (and get it) but this time as we were only going to Reedham, I was quite happy with this slot

We took Lottie for a little walk, but sill had time to kill before going to the boatyard, now what could we do?

Yup, It was The White Horse Chedgrave, well it was always going to be a pub wasn’t it?  :default_beerchug:

I do like the White Horse, lovely garden good food and…………. Oh yes great beer!

The bad man, who is the landlord wasn’t there this lunchtime, so I only had a couple, he’s a bad man because he preys on me being a weak man when offered another pint

We’ve been using this pub for lunch before picking up the boat for the past 5 or 6 years, this was the first time I’ve seen the bowls green being used

Mandy took the car the half mile to the boatyard, whilst me Susie and Lottie walked down the road and along the footpath

Once at the boatyard, we were greeted like old friends, its probably why we keep going back, they are so friendly, nothing is too much trouble and for a big cruiser and level of equipment like Star we only paid £1300 which included pet charge and dinghy, which in my book is good value

We soon loaded up the boat, and it wasn’t long before Richard had completed the paperwork and explained a few things we were unsure about. Life jackets for the three of us were brought out, Lottie was taken to the ‘doggie life jacket store’ and fitted with hers (free)

Now at this point I hold my head in shame, apparently you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but you can frighten them to change their practice! I’ve been boating on the broads for the past 10 years plus, until that day myself or any of the crew (except Lottie) had never worn a life jacket!  :default_dunce:

As I say, not proud, we just never used them. However, the events of last August at Yarmouth had changed my view, we all wore them when mooring or moving around outside the boat

So off we went, very slowly as the Chet is very tight with boats moored up on the left then the right at Pyes Mill (ok port and starboard)

Going past Pyes mill mooring, I spotted Norfolk Lady but couldn’t see anyone on board, sorry I missed you

Now at this point I’ll mention the weather. I am writing this a bit of time after the event, but I remember the weather being very nice, we sat outside in the garden of the White Horse in shorts and T shirts, the parasols weren’t blowing, I couldn’t remember there being any issues with the wind

So, I was shocked to read Malcom’s (Mouldy) blog of the same day stating the weather being very windy and that Breydon had been closed to hire craft, maybe we were lucky and sheltered from the winds

I’m glad I didn’t know about Breydon, we were crossing the next day and that would have made me more paranoid than I usually am

Anyway, first cruise since September last year and it felt good, it does amaze me how people who have never handled a boat before cope with their first attempt on that river, boy does that river twist!

We were away by 2.30pm and after a relatively quite cruise we were on the Yare by 3.15pm, I had pre-booked a mooring at the Ferry with a table for three at 7pm (I think) so we had plenty of time

The tide was falling, high water at Reedham was 1.15pm, we were 2 hrs after that and were getting a gentle push down the Yare, the chain ferry was soon in view, making sure it was docked I crossed over the chains!

In an idea world, I would need to turn and moor against the tide, however I really wanted to be moored facing the other way, it would be easier to leave the mooring in the morning. As I passed the chain ferry I noticed the reserved board for Star, it was outside the pub near where the ferry docks, there was no way I was getting in there without turning!

A quick discussion with the girls, I decided I was mooring with the tide but further down the moorings by the grass, there wasn’t many boats moored so plenty of space, life jackets on, we’re going in!

It went very well, coming in with tide very slowly, when I was about a couple of feet from the bank, full right-hand lock on, gave the throttle a burst and kicked the stern gently against the bank allowing Mandy to step off and wrap a rope round a post. Susie sat the helm I’d disconnected the gearbox and upped the revs a bit, I picked up the rope I’d left on the freeboard, Susie used the bow thruster to bring the bow in

I secured the bow rope, then walked back and sorted the stern rope, with the boat secure Susie turned the engine off

All in all, a good team effort, I then moved our reserved board down to our boat, so I didn’t stop someone else mooring there!

Time to take Lottie for a walk, we had a mooring and table booked at The Lord Nelson for the following Friday when we return from the north, as we were nearby, I thought I’d check that everything was ok with the booking

It’s a nice little walk along the river before turning left before Brit House (?) along the footpath and along the road into the village

The girls found a table outside and I went into the pub to check the booking and get some drinks, well it would have been rude not too!   :default_drinks:

All was fine with the booking (well that changed later in the week) we had a couple of drinks and returned to the boat

Mandy and Susie went back to the boat, I used the excuse of checking what time our booking was for to get another beer, yup table booked for 7pm, quick beer and back to the boat. Well, the dog was pleased to see me, pretty much indifference from wife and daughter!

Soon it was time to eat, so the four of us made the short walk to the pub, got to say it wasn’t the best meal we had all week, it wasn’t bad, just not great for the price!

We were back on the boat by 9pm, and soon to bed as it had been a long day and one of us will need to be up earl tomorrow to cross Breydon

QJLR3951.JPG

TZSY6580.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

RUTW7366.JPG

PVNQ7624.JPG

WUAX9769.JPG

IMG_2193 - Copy.JPG

5.JPG

IMG_2194 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2195 - Copy.JPG

PSNV1298.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We were probably walking to the village when you passed, Tim.  Until recently, Pyes Mill was one of our ‘go to’ overnight stops for weekends away on Norfolk Lady.  Sadly, there’s been a few issues there and at the Staithe itself, where ‘deals on wheels’ of illegal substances and rowdy behaviour have spoiled both locations for visiting boaters.

Whilst moored there, we often see trial runs being carried out from Pacific.  They do appear to give very comprehensive tuition to their visiting crews, especially to the first timers, who get shown how to moor and cast off along the Pyes Mill moorings.

We haven’t visited The Ferry at Reedham for years.  It used to be one of our favourites and the moorings, including the wooden ones along the reeds that have now fallen into disrepair, were always packed.  I believe it’s still run by The Archers, so it’s strange that it’s not what it used to be.  I guess the reduction in the number of hire yards on the southern rivers has something to do with it, but given the location, I’d have thought that local trade would help through the quieter months.

Looking forward to the rest of your tale - keep it coming!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Malcom, I’ve got to say I’d forgotten how much time it takes to write these tales, maybe I should ramble less! 😉

Hats off to those who write these tales several times a year, I always enjoy reading them

Pacific are an excellent yard so I’m not surprised they they take great care on the trial runs, it can’t be easy turning a boat on The Chet!

I will definitely finish the tale, I had success and some abject failures, but never out of control, bear with me while I find the time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the news of the sad death of our beloved queen, I've decided it wouldn't be appropriate to continue a story of fun and enjoyment at this time

So I will take a short break while the country mourns the only monarch I've ever known  :default_sad:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Sunday 3rd July

I must be mad, the alarm on my phone set for 6.15am went off, I lay in bed for a couple of minutes thinking, not only is this a Sunday but I’m also on holiday and listening to an alarm sounding!

To be honest, I’m not one for lay ins, and I always enjoy the early morning cruise to Breydon, Mandy on the other hand is a nurse that used to do shifts on the wards, she could sleep on a clothesline! There also was very little chance of getting Susie out of bed at that time.

T Shirt shorts and deck shoes were put on, as was he kettle, I asked Mandy if she wanted a tea, which she accepted. I pulled the canopy back, from memory it was a very pleasant morning

Tea made, it was time to quickly take Lottie out to do the necessary, we were probably not stopping until Stracey Arms which was a fair cruise away. Lottie obliged and did her business quite quickly, she’d be fine now until we stopped, so I quickly went back to the boat to drink my tea

Whilst drinking my tea I studied the ropes on the boat, I had put springs on yesterday, so I had a good look at to get the right plan to leave by myself, to be fair Mandy did offer to help, but I’d done this before and felt quite confident with the helm being on the side near the bank that I’d be fine!

I did joke that if she heard a big splash I might need a bit of assistance, she just fixed me with a glare only women can do well!   :default_icon_e_surprised:

The boat was being pushed forward by the tide, so released the rear spring and looped over a post and tied to the rear cleat, the other stern rope was taken off completely and stowed, the forward spring was removed, and the other bow rope tied to the nearest post to the helm, ok I was ready, lifejacket was on!

All was good, started the engine at 7am, yes, I did remember to engage the gearbox that I’d disengaged the afternoon before. Bow rope released, lifted the stern rope of the post, we drifted forwards slightly but there was plenty of room in front, so managed to get to the helm and give a little kick to reverse, between tide and bow thruster we were soon out of the mooring and on our way!

Lottie had been watching me from the lounge, but once on our way, she decided to join ‘mum’ in bed, so just me, the boat and beautiful quietness, its moments like this which makes getting up early really worth it

I had a look a ‘project troll’ on my phone, I was horrified to see the bridge height, according to that site the level under Vauxhall Bridge was 7’6’’ and I was a good 90mins away. I decided to ignore it carry on and see what the board at Berney was showing

As it turned out it was fine, with canopy and screen lowered I needed 7’1’’ I went under with a good 18’’ to 2’ to spare

Halfway across Breydon I was joined at the helm by Mandy, this was timely as the tea and orange juice I had consumed on the journey had worked its way down, so Mandy took the helm for 10mins whilst I had a comfort break and made another cuppa

Just as we rounded the yellow post with me back at the helm, Susie joined us, her first words were ‘are we stopping for breakfast’ ‘yes Stracey Arms and about 10ish’ I replied

This was the first morning of the holiday, so it just had to be the full English breakfast, I was also feeling quite hungry as we arrived at the mooring, turning the boat into the tide, LJ’s back on we moored near the end with plenty of space

I took Lottie for another walk, she wasn’t keen on the company of ponies and goats, she is a coward and a bit of a drama queen! She is a rescue and although we had her early on, there is stuff in her early months we know nothing about

We stopped for about 30mins before making the short cruise to Stokesby

We moored at the BA moorings, this is the first time we have moored there, normally getting a spot outside the pub (which we always use) Usually we walk down the footpath towards Yarmouth, but recently it has become quite overgrown after about a mile, so checking my footpath app we found a nice walk going the other way, photo below.

Once back at the boat, me and Susie took Lottie on to the green, she had a bit of a game chasing her frisbee, hoping this will wear her out a bit so we could have a drink at the pub.

I seem to remember it being a bit blowy there, although it was pretty warm as still in t shirts, I like the Ferry at Stokesby, we would normally have a sandwich there but as breakfast was only a couple of hours previous, we decided it was drinks only

The only problem was trying to find a table with less duck and goose poo around, not that I was bothered but our disgusting spaniel wanted to eat it!

We had a couple of drinks and decided to move on.

We had a mooring and table booked at The New Inn at Horning, we like Horning and also like the New Inn, in he past you could book a mooring, but you had to eat there, now it’s £15 to book you have to pay when you book and no refund against food and drink.

We considered the alternatives, but really if you want to go to Horning and guarantee a mooring, there aren’t many options, I think it’s £20 not refundable at the Swan? So, as we wanted to visit we paid the mooring fee, and in terms of what we spent on food and drink over the holiday it probably didn’t break me!

We were a bit too early to go to Horning, so we decided a cruise down Chalet Alley to Potter Heigham, the girls wanted to visit The Temple of Tat, I certainly didn’t, moored up in Herbert Woods I filled up with water while the girls went shopping, I also rewarded myself with a beer while me and Lottie waited for them to return

Returning with cakes pastries etc, no tat fortunately, we headed off for Horning

Before we left Stokesby, Mandy had rung The New Inn, to check our booking and ask if there was a time we had to be there by, we were told to be there by 5.30pm, but if we were going to be later to call and let them know, but it was our mooring and it was booked

We probably arrived about 5pm, and whilst everything on the trip so far had gone very well, it was about to unravel a bit!

As we approached The New Inn I slowed down, the quay attendant was a different person from last year, he called out to me, the conversation went something like this:

‘Sorry we’re fully booked’

‘I booked in March, and rang earlier to confirm’

‘What’s the boat name’

‘Pacific Star’

‘Oh, yes you are on the list, don’t worry I can get you on the end by Southgates’

‘Last year, I was asked to moor in dinghy dyke’

‘Well, if you think you can get in there that would be fine’

‘Well, I did last year’

Me and my big gob, sometimes I never learn, so no pressure then!

LJ’s on, Mandy moved the dinghy to the bow, so I could reverse in, Susie waited by me to get instructions when closer!

Then it all went wrong!

We’ve hired a dinghy for more than 8 visits, the number of times Mandy has moved the dinghy so I can moor must be 30 plus, but this time she had a panic attack and couldn’t get back round the screen and back into the boat, about 30 seconds later Lottie jumped off the seat and hurt her leg, this in turn set daughter off in a panic about getting the dog to a vet (to be fair the dog has a history of this and is often ok a few mins later!)

So there I was, lined up across the Bure and carnage going on in the boat!

Somehow, I don’t know how, but despite the ‘noise’ going on around me, I went straight in, well after liberal use of forward reverse and bow thruster!

This prompted a man on the next boat telling Mandy how well I moored the boat, and the quay attendant’s 13-year-old daughter Nancy telling me that was the best bit of mooring she’d seen all day!

They should’ve been down at Salhouse a couple of days later to see me have 3 attempts to stern moor in a gap 10 times wider!  :default_dunce:

The quay attendant and Nancy were very kind, they went and got us some numbers for a local vet, but Lottie had improved, wasn’t limping anymore, (as I said earlier, she can be a drama queen) calmness was beginning to return to the crew of Star

Anyway, there was only on thing to do now, and that was drinks from the bar!  :default_beerchug:

We then had a little walk into Horning, we didn’t want to risk Lottie’s leg too much, had a drink at the Swan then walked back to the boat

Our table was booked for 7.30pm, the meal was pretty good, and the service was first rate and do like the beer there, so all in all we enjoyed the visit if not the dramas while mooring!

Back on the boat about 9pm again, nice glass of Red while I reflected on the day!

IMG_2206 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2207 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2208 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2210 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2211 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2212 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2213 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2213 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2214 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2215 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2216 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2526.PNG

IMG_2217 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2218 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2219 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2220 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2221 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2222 - Copy.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Tim.

May I ask a question?

How does a hydraulic bow thruster work from the point of view of the operator?

Do you have a lever that you simply operate or do you have to disengage the drive?

From an engineering point of view if the boat is hydraulic drive then a diverter valve would divert some of the hydraulic oil to the thruster so does this reduce the amount of propulsion (fwd and aft thrust) available?

Or do you have to disengage fwd & aft propulsion to allow the thruster to operate?

Genuine question as my boat has an electric bow thruster .

8 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Tim.

May I ask a question?

Do you have a lever that you simply operate or do you have to disengage the drive?

From an engineering point of view if the boat is hydraulic drive then a diverter valve would divert some of the hydraulic oil to the thruster so does this reduce the amount of propulsion (fwd and aft thrust) available?

Or do you have to disengage fwd & aft propulsion to allow the thruster to operate?

Broadsman has hydraulic thrusters, they are operated from set of simple switches on the dash. The propulsion is affected Whilst thrusters are in use. Hope that helps. 

Hi,

Yes the hydraulic thrusters do take power from the drive to the extent that I have stalled twice in neutral. Some are better than others although electric maybe more likely to burn out I prefer electric. Then you can concentrate on throttle use for maneuvers rather than worrying about putting some throttle on in neutral to ensure the thrusters are fully powered, having to come out of neutral to complete the mooring is an extra hassle although this maybe just me and boat I was on at the time had slow tickover

Neil 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Captain said:

Then you can concentrate on throttle use for maneuvers rather than worrying about putting some throttle on in neutral to ensure the thrusters are fully powered, having to come out of neutral to complete the mooring is an extra hassle

Not sure I like the sound of that. I can just imagine in that moment when you get caught out by a sudden cross wind and the mooring has the potential to go wrong, that in the panic to engage extra revs in neutral to provide extra power for the thruster, that you forget to disengage drive and are suddenly providing extra power to the prop as well as the thruster.

19 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Not sure I like the sound of that. I can just imagine in that moment when you get caught out by a sudden cross wind and the mooring has the potential to go wrong, that in the panic to engage extra revs in neutral to provide extra power for the thruster, that you forget to disengage drive and are suddenly providing extra power to the prop as well as the 

It takes some getting use to. Caught us out a couple of times. Luckily we never bumped into anything. 1st time it happened I thought the engine had died. That said much more powerful than an electric powered thruster. We played about with it on Ranworth broad till we got the hang of it. 

19 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Not sure I like the sound of that.

It is a simple matter to set the tick-over a bit higher to avoid stalling.  About 950 revs will do it.  It also depends on the size and pitch of the propellor.

On the principle that a thruster is only fully effective when the boat is stationary, I find it most convenient to be able to dis- engage the gears and rev up in neutral, to increase the power of the thruster.  With practice, a 180 turn can be effected by going astern and thrusting at the same time and the boat really will turn in its own length.   Electric thrusters only have one power setting, are a big drain on batteries and will overheat after a very few seconds running.

There is a rocker switch on the dashboard which operates two solenoid valves on the power take-off, between the hydraulic pump and the two way valves for the main drive to the prop.  Hence use of the thruster will diminish the flow to the hydraulic drive motor.  Peachments have also developed soft opening valves, so that the thruster doesn't engage with a crash.  This is why there is a second's delay after you push the button.

• Like 1

Not being an experienced "boaty" person, I found the hydraulic bow/stern thrusters on Sovereign Light (HW) easy to use last year when on our holiday.  On the initial handover I was informed to keep the revs at about 1000 rpm when in neutral which worked well.  The bow thruster also worked well when navigating a few tight corners at slow speed.  I knew that the higher the speed is, the less effective the thrusters are!  We're on Supreme Light next month and I believe that the bow/stern thrusters on that boat are also hydraulic (but I could be wrong :default_unsure:).

Chris

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Tim.

May I ask a question?

You've probably had far better answers above than I can give, but when we hired this boat last year, Richard (the owner) said when I asked about the thrusters, you're lucky Star's got hydraulic thrusters, you've got far more power than electric, just keep the revs up if you need more power.

As it happened, I only dis-engaged the gearbox once, that was precautionary as we were mooring with the tide at Reedham, and that was to ensure I could get the bow in quick after securing the stern

The rest of the time I cant say helming was any different than it was with the electric ones I was more used to

Hope that helps?

6 hours ago, Vaughan said: Electric thrusters only have one power setting, are a big drain on batteries and will overheat after a very few seconds running.

The cheap ones used on most broads boats are single speed.  Proportional thrusters are quite common on sea going craft, some with run times of 10 minutes.  I was actually playing with one in the Solent today!

12 minutes ago, NeilB said:

The cheap ones used on most broads boats are single speed.  Proportional thrusters are quite common on sea going craft, some with run times of 10 minutes.  I was actually playing with one in the Solent today!

Powerful thrusting for up to ten minutes!  Best not take that out of context then!! :default_eusa_naughty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Powerful thrusting for up to ten minutes!  Best not take that out of context then!! :default_eusa_naughty:

I must admit feeling a little tired while having a few drinks at the local brewery! Especially as I’ve heard one manufacturer is introducing brushless motors with unlimited thrusting !!!  :default_eusa_naughty:

3 hours ago, NeilB said:

Sometimes it takes, I would not say 10 minutes but certainly 5 minutes or more for a thruster to have any effect on a large ship particularly when going ahead. Bow thusters are most effective when going astern. This applies to small vessels as well. it's just that the power of thrusters on small vessels, like Broads Boats is disproportionately higher than large vessels . Likewise a Stern Thruster is more effective when the vessel had slow ahead speed. It's all to do with where the pivot point is on the vessel. It varies due to the vessel having forward or astern movement. 

I can explain this to anyone who is interested 

It takes 30 seconds or more for them to wind up to full power on a large ship even when they are some 3000 Kw  or more.

In a port such as Felixstowe that has little traffic and little tide it's ok for a ship to take forever to turn around with one tug and a great big bow thruster. In my port with heavy traffic and strong tides ,equate Ludham Bridge to Reedham, it's why we put 3 or 4 tugs on the same ship. 

2 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

The boat I was testing and calibrating the assisted docking system on was one of these, we don’t have any involvement in anything much over 120ft on the leisure side.  Only problem was it wasn’t very windy for a good test but I have access to the boat for another week or so.

image.thumb.jpeg.69015cf2c7ce97b688b6912b12d40f85.jpeg