News On Pozzick and Seren

YnysMon

45 minutes ago, kpnut said:

You are doing a sterling job trying to support him. Don’t even give guilt any chance of taking hold. 

Helen. No one, will ever understand.  My wife and I have had to experience the love and attention being rejected by a person who we have loved and respected.  

It is tricky. Social Workers had arranged for a temporary Care Home place for Dad, so that his home could be thoroughly cleaned. However, Dad categorically refused to go. He thinks we are just trying to shuffle him into a care home permanently, which isn’t the case.

The Social Workers came up with suggestions for a couple of companies who will clean the place whilst he’s ‘in situ’, and we have a quote from one of them. Now, of course, Dad is starting to complain it’s going to be too much of an upheaval. The trouble is, Age Cymru (Welsh version of Age Concern) won’t allocate us a regular cleaner until a ‘deep clean’ has been done. Graham spent the weekend doing diy jobs and I’ve been doing urgent cleaning jobs and sorting out his food cupboards/fridge and freezer. He had quite a lot of food in the house this time, but most of it out of date.

It feels like painting the Forth Bridge though. Never ending! 
:default_wacko:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Love 2

The best thing we did was get the modern equivalent of meals on wheels in. They used to bring meals in daily and, just as important, collect the previous day's crockery etc. No build up of waste food.

There are many local companies offering that sort of service so, if it's of use, chances are you'll find one or two local to Dad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keep plugging away Helen and Graham, I have a good idea of what you are going through as I went through similar with my mum over a 4 year period including  2 x hip operations and 1 x hip replacement.  Mostly on my own with a 100 mile gap between our houses.

You may already have them but I would recommend getting powers of attorney for both finance and health.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JanetAnne said:

The best thing we did was get the modern equivalent of meals on wheels in. They used to bring meals in daily and, just as important, collect the previous day's crockery etc. No build up of waste food.

There are many local companies offering that sort of service so, if it's of use, chances are you'll find one or two local to Dad.

Haven’t heard of that. We’ll look into it. 

3 minutes ago, NeilB said:

You may already have them but I would recommend getting powers of attorney for both finance and health.  

Yes, fortunately Graham has arranged all that. Just as well, as his Dad was hopeless with finance even before his memory became an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On a lighter note,  my Mum who passed at 96 , she was in Care at this time , as had Alzheimers, when she was at home prior to all this and she was ok up to a point,  she would repeatedly turn off the freezer for some reason defrosting it.   Well she decided one day to take out some pork chops  unbeknown to us and they defrosted and my sister asked her if she was having them that evening, she replied yes, well what we did not know that said pork chops were put back in the freezer (I can hear the gasps now) and then she promptly took them out again, defrosted them and cooked them, and survived.     Makes you wonder.       She also got to the stage where she would ask - who are you, which is so upsetting and would not even have my husband in the room, breaks your heart.

Under the bed in the spare room when we cleared the house we found 38 jars of jam from the 70s.    It was solid.

You have my sympathy it is all thankless task and really takes it out of you because for some reason , why I dont know , we all feel so guilty about it but we do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The one saving grace over losing my mum was not having to deal with any of this stuff, she was still sharp (a bit forgetful but sharp) and independent, sure the house was dirtier than at first obvious but not a complete disaster.

But even clearing the house after she'd gone still felt like looting.

You have my sympathy for the task at hand and admiration for carrying on, I'm so glad I didn't have to battle with social services or care homes, we were in the process of trying to find a cleaner. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

On a lighter note,  my Mum who passed at 96 , she was in Care at this time , as had Alzheimers, when she was at home prior to all this and she was ok up to a point,  she would repeatedly turn off the freezer for some reason defrosting it.   Well she decided one day to take out some pork chops  unbeknown to us and they defrosted and my sister asked her if she was having them that evening, she replied yes, well what we did not know that said pork chops were put back in the freezer (I can hear the gasps now) and then she promptly took them out again, defrosted them and cooked them, and survived.     Makes you wonder.       She also got to the stage where she would ask - who are you, which is so upsetting and would not even have my husband in the room, breaks your heart.

Under the bed in the spare room when we cleared the house we found 38 jars of jam from the 70s.    It was solid.

You have my sympathy it is all thankless task and really takes it out of you because for some reason , why I dont know , we all feel so guilty about it but we do.

The pork thing…I was taught that you had to cook pork thoroughly, so I was horrified to be served slightly pink pork a few years back. When I got home I did a bit of online research and found out that the ‘rules’ that govern what pigs can be fed have effectively removed the risk over eating ‘pink’ pork. The problem occurred when pigs were able to eat all sorts, including meat. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Latest Pozzick escapade…we were woken by a lot of whining this morning. Pozzie had got himself stuck under our bed (we have one with an oak frame).

:default_rofl:
It took us a while to get him out too. We tried lifting the bed a bit, but that didn’t work. It’s so heavy it takes two of us to lift it. In the end Graham managed to drag him out on his side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

I hope it wasn't too early Helen. I would think that it would be hard to settle back down after that. 

No, thankfully it was a reasonable time for getting up anyway.

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

One of those episodes that is a bit funnier after the event than during.
An upset dog while trying to sort it out concentrates the mind somewhat. 

Yes, it was slightly concerning, especially after the bed lifting didn’t go to plan. We could have called on extra manpower though, as both ‘boys’ are still at home. 

• Like 2

Hi Helen have found out what made Pozzic went under the Bed. O blimey trying to lift the Bed that must have given you both a backache still at least you got Pozzic out in the end with out Pozzic needed to go the vet.

54 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi Helen have found out what made Pozzic went under the Bed. O blimey trying to lift the Bed that must have given you both a backache still at least you got Pozzic out in the end with out Pozzic needed to go the vet.

He quite often sleeps with his head under the bed after it has dawned. He obviously got a bit carried away and his body followed!

• Haha 4

No.2  granddaughter has become very aware that the dawn is getting earlier. She recently changed her job and her new job was too far away from home for her to commute. So she has moved out  of her   parents'  into a house local to her new job and is sharing with her old room mates from her days at uni.  She is loving both the new job and the digs.The only problem is  that her room is at the rear of the house and in a garden backing on to hers is a resident rooster! So her nights are anything but relaxed as he is up and crowing in the very early hours. Poor  Phoebe!

Carole

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, addicted said:

No.2  granddaughter has become very aware that the dawn is getting earlier. She recently changed her job and her new job was too far away from home for her to commute. So she has moved out  of her   parents'  into a house local to her new job and is sharing with her old room mates from her days at uni.  She is loving both the new job and the digs.The only problem is  that her room is at the rear of the house and in a garden backing on to hers is a resident rooster! So her nights are anything but relaxed as he is up and crowing in the very early hours. Poor  Phoebe!

Carole

That reminds me of the farm cottage I shared with fellow students when I was at Bangor Uni. My bedroom overlooked the milking shed, and the cows got milked at some unearthly time in the morning. It only bothered me for the first week or so though, after that I somehow managed to get used to it and slept through all the mooing. 

• Like 1