The White Heron

Mouldy

20 hours ago, Mouldy said:

76D723D9-A8D2-4028-B05F-BE188056D52E.jpeg

Interesting that the yellow line is exactly where the public moorings used to be, at the end of a separate dyke, in the 50s and 60s before Brooms' expansion swallowed it up as part of their marina.  I think it is pretty obviously where the public staithe was as well, right beside the road over the railway.

I don't know of any other public staithe in Brundall?  I believe there is a photo of this old dyke in the Brundall archive.

• Like 3

My father used to moor our first boat there - he converted a 16' ex lifeboat with a transom stern in the front garden and we moored in the Yare dyke from about 1952/53. My enduring memory of that place is seeing my father bent over a British Anzani twin winding the rope round the top time and time again , trying to start the damn thing!!!!!

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

How was the breakfast?

I havent tried it but their main meals are very good and they have recently added new choices to the menu. Most dishes are still well priced with a couple overpriced in my opinon. Always very busy for Sunday roast meals so you should book ahead.

6 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I havent tried it but their main meals are very good and they have recently added new choices to the menu. Most dishes are still well priced with a couple overpriced in my opinon. Always very busy for Sunday roast meals so you should book ahead.

It’s become our “go to”place for supper if we get back to Cove and are in need of supper. The food is usually fine (apart from the vegetable lasagne, this was pretty dire, cheese sauce had split and there was a distinct lack of vegetables). 

3 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Noticed 6 or 8 small electric day boats are now moored up besides the pub ready for hire according to Brooms web pages.

Time will tell if they can make it back from Cantley or Reedham against the ebb tide.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

Those pub moorings what sort if boat length will they accommodate?

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

They moved some quite large private boats out of the way to create them, so they’re definitely long enough for most, if not all hire craft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/07/2023 at 15:17, Vaughan said:

Time will tell if they can make it back from Cantley or Reedham against the ebb tide.

It is an awfully long, lonely struggle home, up Train Reach from Strumshaw Pump.  The tide getting stronger and the battery getting lower, with every minute that passes.  In the end you are not going forwards any more and just have to hang on to a tree on the bank, in what seems like the middle of nowhere.

Anyone who has been in the Yare Navigation Race knows what it is like but they are all experienced yachtsmen, not innocent day trippers just off a train from Gt Yarmouth.

5 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

So is there space for visitors  and day boats, close to the pub?

Ian, yes there is.  The satellite picture on Google hasn’t been updated to reflect the changes to the ‘beer garden,’ however the general layout hasn’t changed.  I’ve highlighted where the visitor moorings are.

IMG_1662.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am told that a remark I made about these electric day boats has perhaps been mis-understood.

I have spent my entire career in the management of hire fleets with the responsibility for the safety of our customers hanging over me like the Sword of Damocles. 

If these boats are indeed equipped to safely navigate from Brundall to Reedham and back against adverse conditions of tide and wind - all very well.  In which case they will be at least twice as powerful as anything I have seen on hire so far, both on the Broads and many other waterways.  I have seen them being towed home, with their disconsolate clients sitting in them, on very many occasions.  They are all very well in the quiet waters of Wroxham or Potter but the Yare is a different matter.

• Like 3