The White Heron

Mouldy

47 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

Broom's have been running this day boat fleet for a couple of seasons now I have no knowledge of their range but like Ian I have not seen them South of Brundall..

I am not sure if Broom' stipulate they can only go to Norwich

I’m fairly certain I’ve seen a Broom dayboat moored outside The Reedham Ferry Inn.  That said, the view from a dayboat between Brundall and Reedham would surely be fairly uninspiring, sitting so low.  Much more to see heading towards Norwich, with a detour into Thorpe and the pubs a better destination.

One can only assume that whoever is responsible for customer safety at Broom has done their homework and set navigation limits that their craft can reach and return from, especially in the light of the recently introduced QAB scheme that Broads hire operators are now required to belong to.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

One can only assume that whoever is responsible for customer safety at Broom has done their homework and set navigation limits that their craft can reach and return from, especially in the light of the recently introduced QAB scheme that Broads hire operators are now required to belong to.

My thoughts exactly! Any company willing to invest in the southern waters should be applauded not stabbed in the back before they have even started. After all it would be a pretty dumb move if it failed and whoever signed off the project could expect their P45 soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Any company willing to invest in the southern waters should be applauded not stabbed in the back before they have even started.

If you are accusing me of stabbing a boatyard in the back, most especially on the southern rivers, I shall not report your post as was done to me yesterday but I will take the opportunity to reply:

The boat hire agencies have been making very serious attempts to encourage a "levelling up" to the south rivers ever since the late 50s and Martin Broom was one of the strongest exponents of it.  My father (as chairman of Blakes)  was one of those who strongly supported the Jenners development on Thorpe island which, especially with its connections to Herbert Woods and Southgates, was designed to do exactly that.  Desmond Truman of Oulton Broad (as chairman of the River Commissioners) was also totally in favour.  If it were not for initial problems of finance and cash flow, that operation could well be still there and still successful today.  Imagine a week's one-way cruise between Potter Heigham and Thorpe, both of which had railway stations in those days. 

Excuse me but I do not need to be lectured in this fashion about the need to promote the south rivers.

We are not talking just about day boats but electric day boats.  In other words, the maritime equivalent of a golf course caddy cart. 

If you seriously think it is a good idea to let electric boats out on the tidal Yare with what we all know (by definition of a day boat) are totally ignorant and amateur crews, then your experience of the subject, whatever that may be, is telling you something very different from mine.

• Like 7

I too try my best to encourage  people  to go south .It saddens me that boat yards on the south have reduced,leaving very few left. I worry that investment in the south  will also reduce. However  as I said I've never seen many if any day boats from Brundall  in Reedham.Of course I don't know what route  Brooms will advice  customers on there day boats. 

• Like 1

I have seen many electric day boats up and down the Yare for a few years.

The red Bishy boats regularly come down from Thorpe and Brooms and Buccaneers from Brundall to Norwich.

This isn't the first year Brooms have run them, they know  their boats and customers.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Of course I don't know what route  Brooms will advise  customers on their day boats. 

On their website, Broom’s actually suggest going as far as Reedham on their electric day boats. Norwich one direction and Reedham the other. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

If you are accusing me of stabbing a boatyard in the back, most especially on the southern rivers, I shall not report your post as was done to me yesterday but I will take the opportunity to reply:

The boat hire agencies have been making very serious attempts to encourage a "levelling up" to the south rivers ever since the late 50s and Martin Broom was one of the strongest exponents of it.  My father (as chairman of Blakes)  was one of those who strongly supported the Jenners development on Thorpe island which, especially with its connections to Herbert Woods and Southgates, was designed to do exactly that.  Desmond Truman of Oulton Broad (as chairman of the River Commissioners) was also totally in favour.  If it were not for initial problems of finance and cash flow, that operation could well be still there and still successful today.  Imagine a week's one-way cruise between Potter Heigham and Thorpe, both of which had railway stations in those days. 

Excuse me but I do not need to be lectured in this fashion about the need to promote the south rivers.

We are not talking just about day boats but electric day boats.  In other words, the maritime equivalent of a golf course caddy cart. 

If you seriously think it is a good idea to let electric boats out on the tidal Yare with what we all know (by definition of a day boat) are totally ignorant and amateur crews, then your experience of the subject, whatever that may be, is telling you something very different from mine.

Gentlemen,

Please remember the ToS,

This is a friendly forum, you have different opinions, both valid.

Opinions can be expressed without vitriol, that way members will read posts rather than skipping them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vanessan said:

On their website, Broom’s actually suggest going as far as Reedham on their electric day boats. Norwich one direction and Reedham the other. 

I've seen on there website site.Must be interesting  heading up to Reedham.Not for me though ,it can be challenging in much latlrger boats,let alone  electric  day boat.But good luck to them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

totally ignorant and amateur crews

That’s a sweeping generalisation. I’ve taken day boats out myself. I would also point to the almost nonexistent handover I’ve seen folk receive on taking out a day boat. No wonder they sometimes don’t look as if they know what they’re doing. 

On 03/07/2023 at 21:31, OldBerkshireBoy said:
On 03/07/2023 at 21:21, Vaughan said:

Who's going to stop them?  

Well nobody if they dont follow instructions I guess. 

In reply to SwanR's defence of day boat hirers, I accept and applaud her pleasure in the responsible hire of a boat for a day's cruise.  Many others do the same and I have done myself.

All the same I think OldBerkshireBoys's comment above is a lot nearer to the ""norm".

Day trip hirers of day launches are not famous for doing what they are told.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I'd want to take a day boat from Brundall to Reedham even though it may be technically possible. Dave Whitworth hired an electric Brooms dayboat on one of his recent videos (filmed in February this year) and I was reminded just how low in the water you have to sit in one of those boats. He took one down to Rockland Staithe and then up to the Ferry House. Swimmers have as good a view.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have now been in the pub to eat three times in the last few weeks and have to say I like it, the food is acceptable and the service friendly and efficient.

The place was booked out and also plenty of people in the garden area.

The pub moorings are right outside but were empty. The fact it was so busy without relying on boaters mooring is encouraging.

The decor is as far as you can get from the smokey rundown image of it's past. It is light and comfortable now.

Well worth a visit.

• Like 6

I can only agree with the above having made a couple of visits there recently. The first visit I was cruising solo and not being sure where the moorings were exactly and not wanting to enter a potentially tight space single handed I decided to moor at the BA public mooring at Cantley. I moored at the end the furthest away from The Reedcutters. If you take a short walk along the riverbank and then turn inland alongside the sewage works there is a path and lane that lead to the far end of Cantley station. I took the train to Brundall knowing that The White Heron is right next to the Brundall station. It was a 7 min walk from the boat to Cantley station and a return ticket was £4.40. Which made me realise given the ease of the journey it was probably better than paying £20 for the overnight mooring.

The first visit was just for a few beers and more of a reccy in reality. Beer was good and being a warm day I sat outside along with quite a few others. My only criticism is that they have spread a shedload of pebbles amongst the outside tables which makes it tricky for walking amongst the tables. It's just like walking on a stony beach. I struggled not to spill my pint. I saw quite a few others struggling with more pints.

The second visit was with friends and we moored at the moorings. The food was good, service was good and the beer good. The place was nearly full by 20:30, although I didn't check in the sports bar side of the pub. Once dinner was done it quietened down a little and we decided to move to a slightly quieter table further away from the bar as we wanted to play a new card game one of my friends had brought along. Engrossed in the game we realised at just gone 22:30 that we were the last ones in the pub. So we drank up and went to settle our not inconsiderable tab. We joked with the barmaid that we thought we'd better go as we were the last ones in. She said it wasn't a problem and we could have had another as she had another hour or so of cleaning glasses and clearing up to do. Was quite a refreshing change to my experience of Broads pubs of late.

One of my gripes with the Broads pubs these days is that they have become restaurants and have a tendency to make you feel unwelcome beyond 21:30 - 22:00 and are looking for you to leave so they can close. 

Thursday week ago we were in the Wherry Oulton Broad and went to the bar to get a drink at 22:35 and they had already called last orders.

• Like 7

Just eaten supper at The White Heron, the chicken burger & loaded fries were both excellent, service was great. We were lucky to get a table without a reservation. 

The sports bar was busy, we had a drink on the way out.

The moorings we’re empty so punters were either local (like us) or had travelled there (the table of 12 near ours had journeyed by train)

The White Heron has become our regular haunt when we fancy supper, the new menu makes a change from pub grub norm.

• Like 2

The gravel is a pain but between our last visits there was a plastic lattice laid in it for the main routes to the tables, follow the lines and it's a lot easier walking for most of the way.

The Nog is good but we still prefer the blackshore at coldham Hall.

Now if the Heron were to have Woodfordes Albion it would be another matter..... come on broom you know you want to!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have also found the White Heron refreshing and excellent, although I agree that the gravel outside is a silly choice.

£20 for a mooring seems very expensive, especially if Broom want people to use their pub. We moor at Swancraft when we want to visit Brundall and the White Heron, it's very close by and £10, (it's also our boats spiritual home as she was built there). You need to book in advance though.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have just seen an advert on another site for a different B & B experience. Overnight accommodation on board a luxury Broom cruiser moored outside the White Heron, followed by breakfast served in The White Heron. 
Call 01603 712334 or email enquiries@broomboats.com to enquire about prices and availability!!

• Like 4

There are loads of boats both power and sail availabe as accommodation only along the South Coast, Lymington and Brighton are very popular.

I love this recycled use available in Norfolk on AirBnB.

Screenshot_20231017_071346_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5801e946128d07ebd66294440f64598d.jpg

I know of a narrowboat, afloat on a large garden pond/small lake in Oxfordshire.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Graham47 said:

I have just seen an advert on another site for a different B & B experience. Overnight accommodation on board a luxury Broom cruiser moored outside the White Heron, followed by breakfast served in The White Heron. 
Call 01603 712334 or email enquiries@broomboats.com to enquire about prices and availability!!

Thank you for this Graham, I am going to show my mum as it might be good for my parents for a short stay. Even if they don't cruise they would still be on the water x

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

Thank you for this Graham, I am going to show my mum as it might be good for my parents for a short stay. Even if they don't cruise they would still be on the water x

Hi Gracie. I am pleased this is of interest to you. I am looking to have another break in Norfolk and will be making enquiries myself. We had 4 nights at Wayford Bridge Inn 3 weeks ago. That was very nice. We had one of the garden rooms which was excellent.

• Love 1