Next Week Snow Coming

Andrewcook

1 hour ago, Ray said:

I unashamedly love snow... there, I've said it 😁

I’m afraid I can’t share your enthusiasm for the stuff.  It’s alright on a Christmas card and if you’re on holiday, but 3mm of it on our roads and the country grinds to a halt.

Not only that, but I was driving a truck and involved in a serious head on accident with another HGV in January 1979 on the A432 near Old Sodbury in a snowstorm.  I was extremely lucky to escape with minor injuries, but it was over an hour and a half before the fire brigade were able to cut me from my vehicle.

That experience did somewhat curtail my affection for snow.

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Well we've all been warned of Snow coming if any is on the Broads next week beware and take care. As for the Snow the Broads would be looking pretty good if any is taking photos on there? As for me Brrrrr keeping my feet on dryland

The Met Office have issued a yellow warning for snow in Northern Scotland, Orkney and Shetland for Wednesday.  I realise that they have a reputation for getting it wrong, but here in Norfolk, I’m not panicking! :facepalm:

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I’m afraid I can’t share your enthusiasm for the stuff.  It’s alright on a Christmas card and if you’re on holiday, but 3mm of it on our roads and the country grinds to a halt.

Not only that, but I was driving a truck and involved in a serious head on accident with another HGV in January 1979 on the A432 near Old Sodbury in a snowstorm.  I was extremely lucky to escape with minor injuries, but it was over an hour and a half before the fire brigade were able to cut me from my vehicle.

That experience did somewhat curtail my affection for snow.

I can well understand how you feel Malc, that was a terrible thing to go through... I'm glad you're OK 👍

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grendel said:

typical, as this week I will probably double the travelling i have done the rest of the year, training course monday, thursday I need to go to the office, and friday we have our works Christmas do in Birmingham.

What is it about the expression 'works Christmas' that leaves me feeling cold.    I always hated them and could not wait to get away.    Yes I am the Christmas grinch when it comes to office Christmas get togethers.

• Like 4

Actually ours is usually quite good, its sort of a big meal out, with the annual awards presented for things like rising star, most helpful individual, team of the year etc etc, plus then there is usually live music and entertainment, its usually themed as well, and above all its a chance to get to see your colleagues from other offices and get together and have a chat etc. we do seem to make it a good experience for everyone (a lot better than a lot of other companies I have worked for anyway, its also good that the directors mingle and chat with staff - last year i was there when the MD bought the first round (there were just 4 of us at the bar at that point).

Having lived in Norfolk for "several" years, it would be quite unusual to have severe weather before Christmas - we have had a mild autumn and after a hot summer sea temperatures will still be relatively warmish. The Broads have sea on three sides and that often stops the hard frosts in this area at this time.

Equally although other parts of Norfolk and indeed the rest of the country may have snow, I doubt if it would be more than a smattering here - by the end of the week winds should have worked back to a more south westerly direction direction which may help too!!

Probably wrong but on balance I wouldn't expect this bit to be too badly affected!!!! Famous last words!!!

Mine is not winterised just the big engine bay vents blocked with pipe lagging and the deck shower drained down, I will be up next weekend and will leave it with a splash of non toxic anti-freeze through the raw water system and the taps left open and de-pressurised and a splash of anti-freeze down the bog but that is as far as I'll go, it's sat in a river that rarely gets below freezing and daytime temps are still showing as plus figures so it'll be fine, I did minimal during the beast from the east and it was fine then too.

A lot of folk panic too much about the slightest whiff of a frost, a boat out of the water is at far more risk of frost damage.

I like it to be quickly useable during winter for weekends when the fancy takes me, usually just a quick prime up of the weed filters and turn the key and job done, taps splutter a bit as the air comes out but that's it.

Todays jobs,

drain down hw and cw tanks,

engine coolant checked, topped up.

flushed antifreeze through raw water system.

Fingers crossed as I can’t do much more.

forecast is for freezing temps next week,but I’m down at the boat most weekends and have the heater running full blast.