Odd One

Bernard

Friday night before Christmas Eve. Cut in half "while moored", I don't think so. Looks like a nice accurate cut from the photo. I would say someone dragged it onto the bank first? Probably done by some drunken idiot. No good doing it if you can't brag about it; someone will know sooner or later.

50 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Friday night before Christmas Eve. Cut in half "while moored", I don't think so. Looks like a nice accurate cut from the photo. I would say someone dragged it onto the bank first? Probably done by some drunken idiot. No good doing it if you can't brag about it; someone will know sooner or later.

Drunken idiot with a chain saw? What an alarming thought!

Doesn't look drunken to me.  That is a very clean cut, apparently done by someone with heavy equipment.

I had no idea that the NT owned Horsey Mill and it seems they also own an area of marsh and wetland known as Heigham Holmes.

It is interesting to read the comments which appear with the EDP article as it seems there has been some bad feeling between the locals and NT, over their wish to close public access to their land.

Sounds a bit like the RSBP who also don't want the public on their land, in case they might frighten the birds.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Agree Grace. There are some strange people around!

I hope you're not suggesting there are strange people around on this forum :default_norty:

Even if the boat was cut in half because someone has a grudge vandalism is not the way to go about it. I understand bad feeling and wanting to punch someone on the nose but actually doing it is a different thing entirely :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

That has not been done by some drunken idiot or some mindless thugs. It looks to be an aluminium boat and the cut is very straight and tidy, possibly done with an angle grinder.

Someone is making a statement about something or some trust they are not happy with. It certainly wasn't cut in the water or done as a spur of the moment thing, but must have been pre planned and come armed with the tools needed as well as possibly two people to lift it out of the water first.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LizG said:

I've seen it commented elsewhere that it might be a welded seam that might have failed or a manufacturing defect maybe possibly caused by sitting in the ice?

Apart from the fact that the wood around the top has also "failed cleanly" in exactly the same place!!!!

• Like 3

So we're looking for someone who was out on the town Friday before Christmas and needs to be drunk before they can saw in a straight line..... I have an alibi, honest. :default_hiding: 

I don't know the area but if it's fairly remote then as Meantime says, they would have to carry whatever gear they needed a distance. If it's not then locals could have heard power tools? I know Swiss Army knives are good but I don't think they would cope with this. :default_smiley-char054:

If the idea was to convey a message then it's missing somewhere so far. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vaughan - it has only ever been open one a year. I don't think it is a deliberate policy to exclude people - after all there is only grazing marshes to see and oh, Blackfleet Broad. And FR, it boat being cut in half was done ,allegedly, at Somerton, which is immediately adjacent to the Horsey Road - hardly remote at all. 

Having said that there are people who "guard" the access to some of the local marshes which they use for reed with a degree of hostility to outsiders - odd lot in that neck of the woods - allegedly!

Access to Heigham Holmes though is not especially easy as it across the floating bridge at Martham Ferry, which is now electrically operated - at least they restored that! I don't think the general public have access to the opening/closing mechanism for perhaps obvious reasons - leaving the "bridge" closed effectively closes the navigation and I know you wouldn't want that

Incidentally it was been suggested it was home to an SOE airfield during the war - difficult to track down any real evidence about that. You can make your own mind up about that one!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, marshman said:

Vaughan - it has only ever been open one a year. I don't think it is a deliberate policy to exclude people - after all there is only grazing marshes to see and oh, Blackfleet Broad. And FR, it boat being cut in half was done ,allegedly, at Somerton, which is immediately adjacent to the Horsey Road - hardly remote at all. 

Having said that there are people who "guard" the access to some of the local marshes which they use for reed with a degree of hostility to outsiders - odd lot in that neck of the woods - allegedly!

Access to Heigham Holmes though is not especially easy as it across the floating bridge at Martham Ferry, which is now electrically operated - at least they restored that! I don't think the general public have access to the opening/closing mechanism for perhaps obvious reasons - leaving the "bridge" closed effectively closes the navigation and I know you wouldn't want that

Incidentally it was been suggested it was home to an SOE airfield during the war - difficult to track down any real evidence about that. You can make your own mind up about that one!

I accept what you say, as someone reading an EDP article and wondering what on Earth this could be about.

If my suggestion is inaccurate - so be it.

In which case maybe you have a theory, as to why someone would want to go out in the night and and cut one of  the Trust's  reed punts in half?

It's a quiet spot but it would be far from unusual to hear power tools anywhere in that area.

As to motive, I can only speculate but if said boat's operator was somewhat cavalier with other folks moorings.....

I can walk there from my home, but it wasn't me, honest guv!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

And where were you on the nights of December 23rd and 24th? :default_norty: 

Come to think of it, I wonder if Vaughan and Meantime have an alibi :default_biggrin: x

Gracie my Darling, I do believe that you are my alibi :default_norty:

As you very well know, I was very busy on the night in question :default_eusa_naughty:

How else did Santa's elf manage to find all those Christmas jokes to post :default_smiley-taunt014: :default_xmas2:

Have I got away with mentioning Christmas in January? 

Now I wonder if Vaughan has a convincing alibi? apart from the small subject of being in a different country. :default_coat:

• Haha 3