A Winter Cruise

Bluebell

31 minutes ago, Heron said:

I notice you use a slow cooker, a great idea. Do you power it off electric hookup or your boats batteries?

Both. When I’ve got shore power that’s my first choice, but it works equally well with an inverter, especially when under way…😎

It was sunny here in Norfolk but still very cold, and foggy this morning too.

What lovely photos. How nice to be able to be out.

Watch out for half term next week. And Richardson's start hiring again so ... it may get a little busier although I'm not sure that most people's idea of fun is being afloat in February. We know different of course.

• Like 4

It was very clear and sunny down here in Hertfordshire on Monday and Tuesday

I was on a Spa break near me for a couple of days, and was actually in an outside hot-tub and then sunbathing - yes, sunbathing - around midday both days. Clear blue skies and only slightly 'fresh', with the sun bearing down very nicely indeed.

• Like 2

We certainly have been lucky here in Broadland the last week with the weather, quite cold today though next weekend is looking good as well. Took the boat out for the first cruise of the year on Sunday afternoon canopy down ! 

John 

433CBA8C-A549-4C8B-B8D2-8DE0F958D5E0.jpeg

D3207C62-4644-4BE8-862E-2569785F206E.jpeg

36988A0B-764E-4BD1-A282-8EC5AFB0C7A0.jpeg

380004C9-D449-4A66-8D2A-99C6984A928D.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried out one of those thermal cookers? It’s like a slow cooker but doesn’t require any form of power. Essentially, you do the initial preparation of your stew/ curry or whatever, make sure it’s hot, bung it in the thermal (very insulated) pot and leave it to do it’s thing.

Foxes Afloat did a demo of using one a couple of years ago.

By the way, I mentioned buying one of those Ninja Foodie multi cookers a few months ago. It’s brilliant. I’ve use it every day for something or other. Hardly ever use the oven now. It was what I would class as a fairly expensive buy (£199) but worth it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Has anyone tried out one of those thermal cookers

21 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Essentially, you do the initial preparation of your stew/ curry or whatever, make sure it’s hot, bung it in the thermal (very insulated) pot and leave it to do it’s thing.

In the ‘olden days’, when I was a youngster and spending part of every summer camping in the back of beyond, we used a haybox to do the same. Put the  big dixie, preheated with the breakfast, inside the haybox overnight and the porridge was miraculously ready first thing in the morning. 

You two, Jim and Griff have decided me to get a slow cooker for the boat. My stove at home has a built-in warming oven that I use for the same purpose, just heats everything using a standard lightbulb. Rice pudding is to die for! 

• Like 2

Has anyone considered getting an old slow cooker and swapping the heating element for microbore pipe and linking in to engine cooling system? Cruise during the day and get your dinner cooked for free, most of the heat will go into the river anyway once the water is heated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Has anyone considered getting an old slow cooker and swapping the heating element for microbore pipe and linking in to engine cooling system? Cruise during the day and get your dinner cooked for free, most of the heat will go into the river anyway once the water is heated.

No 😂

If you do it let us know how you get on…😎

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Nah - just go straight to this!  

• Haha 3