Fishing Season Ends

38 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

So what is the point of out witting the stupidest creature on the planet

Cos it gets more money from the toll paying idiots, hey JP must know best.....

Oh yeah fishing, nowt to do with boat owners,Β  easy mistake.........

7 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi to the Course Fishing Folks.Β  As to Fishing on the Broads has been hard this year I believe?Β  Don't forget his Course Fishing Season finishes on 15th March 2023Β  as it is time to renew your Fishing Licences for 2023 - 24. Season.Β 

But we can still fish on still waters - lakes and canals.

Licence renews on my birthday. How often does anyone get asked to show their licence? In the last 12 months since I got mine I've never been asked for it. Worse though, I've never been asked to prove I'm over 65 either.Β :default_badday:

I have seen fly fishing on the Broads but have never heard of trout being caught. It's closed season on the rivers but not on most lakesΒ 

For me the point of fishing is that it's a wonderful pastime where you get to sit on a boat on a beautiful river in the middle of nowhere enjoying the peace and tranquility of it all or sitting by our local lakes in the countryside and having a restful, family day out that doesn't cost a fortune. Being in wonderful surroundings is just the best and if you have a good catch it's the icing on the cake

Not all anglers are inconsiderate people who sit on moorings and give you grief when asked to move. Those are the type that give all of us a bad name. The best of us will take care of our surroundings and clear up after ourselves when we're done for the day and totally respect other people and the environment x

• Like 4

6 hours ago, floydraser said:

Worse though, I've never been asked to prove I'm over 65 either.Β :default_badday:

Another bonus of being a pensioner (unless the powers that be have stripped that privilege!)! Β A discount on the cost of a single rod licence.Β :default_party0010:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

For me the point of fishing is that it's a wonderful pastime where you get to sit on a boat on a beautiful river in the middle of nowhere . . . . . . .

I think you missedΒ with a glass of wine in one hand . .Β 

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Β . . . . . . . .enjoying the peace and tranquility of it all or sitting by our local lakes in the countryside and having a restful, family day out that doesn't cost a fortune. . . . . . . . . . .Β 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Another bonus of being a pensioner (unless the powers that be have stripped that privilege!)! Β A discount on the cost of a single rod licence.Β :default_party0010:

Absolutely! Not much of a saving though, just a day or two's fishing but welcome all the same.

Bigger saving is the bus pass. While it's cold a day's fishing is jumping on the bus to find a new tackle shop I haven't seen before, then a pint in the nearest pub. Same economy I guess; the bus fare just goes to the pub!:default_beerchug:

For me the closed season is whenever the weather forecast says it's going to be below 10 degrees C.Β 

I have to say , that the anglers we have encountered this season have been a most sociable and very helpful group.

One gentleman who was fishing from the staithe at Horning (Car park end) assisted a boat owner in moving his boat so as to create space for a boat to moor up and subsequently having to also move his rods etc to enable said mooring.

A couple of weeks ago whilst moored up at Gays staithe two anglers were most appreciative of the proffered hot mug of tea on a cold winters evening .

Over the years we have found the vast majority of anglers to be considerate and amenable when they realised we were heading in to moor up where they were fishing , I think that’s why on the rare occasions when they have not been irk so much.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Hallelujah to that.

No fishing and the associated mess for a while πŸ‘

And please remember that you are not to eat course fish.Β 

So what is the point of out witting the stupidest creature on the planet 🫣

Incoming expected.

At your age I would have hoped you would have been aware that it was anglers and their association the ACA that were responsible for bring many rivers back to life in the 50s to 80s from their poluted deaths, allowing wildlife to flourish and people to enjoy them without a visit to the A&E afterwards.

Fred

• Like 1

Sorry Fred was not alive in the 50's and was not anywhere near the Broads in the 80's so cannot comment on those times.

If what you say is true then I applaud your good work πŸ‘

I'm afraid this is what I mean by associated mess. Picked up from an unattended fishing line and cut by friends who were following in another boat as it was caught on my boat.Β 

I am no expert but this cannot be good for wildlife. Neither can the discarded line that I have untangled from various ducks and geese personally not to mention assisting The Harbor Master at Oulton Broad catching and removing hooks and line from a very unhappy swan. Cudos to the Harbour Master as I would not have had a clue what to do if I had seen it alone. My assistance was fairly small as I used my dinghy to help corral the swan into the lock. The real heroes were The Harbour Master for taking charge of the operation and another fellow boater , who I thought was from Swan Rescue BTW ,who actually grabbed the swan so the HM could remove the discarded gear.Β  He was not from Swan Rescue, just a fellow boater who was shocked and distressed by the blood and injury to the wildlife.

Sorry looks like it's upside down again 😩IMAG0069_BURST002_COVER.thumb.jpg.5115ac1cf046018247c1271f23f7ae25.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Sorry Fred was not alive in the 50's and was not anywhere near the Broads in the 80's so cannot comment on those times.

If what you say is true then I applaud your good work πŸ‘

I'm afraid this is what I mean by associated mess. Picked up from an unattended fishing line and cut by friends who were following in another boat as it was caught on my boat.Β 

I am no expert but this cannot be good for wildlife. Neither can the discarded line that I have untangled from various ducks and geese personally not to mention assisting The Harbor Master at Oulton Broad catching and removing hooks and line from a very unhappy swan. Cudos to the Harbour Master as I would not have had a clue what to do if I had seen it alone. My assistance was fairly small as I used my dinghy to help corral the swan into the lock. The real heroes were The Harbour Master for taking charge of the operation and another fellow boater , who I thought was from Swan Rescue BTW ,who actually grabbed the swan so the HM could remove the discarded gear.Β  He was not from Swan Rescue, just a fellow boater who was shocked and distressed by the blood and injury to the wildlife.

Sorry looks like it's upside down again 😩IMAG0069_BURST002_COVER.thumb.jpg.5115ac1cf046018247c1271f23f7ae25.jpg

I am not saying all anglers are Angel's, there are good and bad in all walks of life, but the blanket blaming of any group of people becauseΒ  of the behaviour of a few doesn't help anyone, while it does happen it's not always discarded rubbish but very often accidental, people deliberately throwing food to disrupt an angler have been responsible for many of the birds that get tangled up, anglers are also often the ones that help or report animals in distress or report pollution.

My previous post regarding the actions of the ACA was with protecting every waterway nationwide against all pollutionΒ  and was fundedΒ  totally by anglers.

Fred

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I am not saying all anglers are Angel's, there are good and bad in all walks of life, but the blanket blaming of any group of people becauseΒ  of the behaviour of a few doesn't help anyone, while it does happen it's not always discarded rubbish but very often accidental, people deliberately throwing food to disrupt an angler have been responsible for many of the birds that get tangled up, anglers are also often the ones that help or report animals in distress or report pollution.

Β 

Fred

Great post Fred and agree 100%, I have seen some amazing behaviour from anglers who really do care about their surroundings as I do and have raised my children to have the same respect. It does upset me when a lot of groups in life get tarred by the same brush because of the actions of a few.

There are some pretty badly behaved children, I know, I work with them but there are some beautiful kids too. There are some awful boaters both in private and hire, in my experience they are few and far between and 99% of the time are decent, caring and helpful human beings

There are far nicer people in life than there are bad ones, even anglersΒ :default_biggrin: x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1