Two Moorings Lost?

Mouldy

Hi Yes £2000=00 a year is good BUT! add £160,000=00 ( this years price) to this over 5yars is not good value. How much did the Dyke cost i wonder when owner ship changed recently. Perhaps BA missed a opportunity there as electricity is close by. John

9 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Yes £2000=00 a year is good BUT! add £160,000=00 ( this years price) to this over 5yars is not good value. How much did the Dyke cost i wonder when owner ship changed recently. Perhaps BA missed a opportunity there as electricity is close by. John

The £2000 per year is for the current mooring location which has good piling. It was the alternative location which had no piling and where it would need to be installed at a cost of £160,000. Yet again another Red Herring.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We almost lost the moorings at St Benets as negotiations overran.  The BA need to get a wriggle on and source additional moorings on the southern rivers, where there are all too few already.  Cantley floods regularly, as do the ones at Reedham.

Given the interest in electric boats and the BA’s apparent desire to promote the use of electric, losing moorings like Langley Dyke, where running cabling to should surely be relatively easy, it does seem strange that more effort wasn’t put into effecting a compromise with the land owner.  Much easier to provide electric posts there than some more remote locations, like Hardley Cross.

I agree totally.     Surely the door should never be shut completely on this, there is room for compromise as you say.  The Land owner sounds a very nice person.   It isnt the BA who will be losing out with the loss of this mooring it is the Toll Payers and the holidaymakers.   As I keep banging on -  we are also losing a rubbish facility as well and there are blooming few of these on the South rivers.   Come on Broads Authority get your finger out and save this lovely mooring.:default_badday:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, annv said:

It hasn’t changed hands recently .

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

The £2000 per year is for the current mooring location which has good piling. It was the alternative location which had no piling and where it would need to be installed at a cost of £160,000. Yet again another Red Herring.

The proposed new location has some pilling already ….. anyone that has been to the moorings would know that …… BA are making out it’s a mudbank which we all know it isn’t .

43 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Would I be wrong in assuming that with fewer moorings to maintain there will be a refund of part of this year's tolls ?

Jeff

No what it will mean is an excuse to put the tolls up next year to pay for new replacement moorings, you've been warned!!!!

54 minutes ago, Meantime said:

No what it will mean is an excuse to put the tolls up next year to pay for new replacement moorings, you've been warned!!!!

Wrong!  To pay for them to look for new replacement moorings, that will all turn out to be too expensive to lease and won’t happen!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, imtamping2 said:

The proposed new location has some pilling already ….. anyone that has been to the moorings would know that …… BA are making out it’s a mudbank which we all know it isn’t .

Perhaps someone could take some photos when they are passing, and post them here for us?

6 hours ago, imtamping2 said:

I will get some pics and measurements up ,no worries.

Ok I have now got some pics and measurements , but before we go into these lets get things right ..... The BA stated it would cost them £1600 per metre to pile the 100 metres ..... I think we can assume that that is the gross amount not just for materials .

Lets also take into consideration the fact that they would be carrying out the work with the machinery that we have already paid for and the wages of the men that we are already paying whether they are piling or carrying out other duties.

Ok so that should leave us with a net cost far below the quoted £1600 per meter . with this in mind I add the following .

Out of the 100 metres the first 45 metres from the river mouth are already piled leaving 55 metres to be completed .

I have also added some pics of the proposed area for your consideration.

IMG_20230610_110236_450.jpg

IMG_20230610_110400_128.jpg

IMG_20230610_110403_636.jpg

IMG_20230610_110436_730.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I haven't been there since 2019 but I could have sworn that that part of the dyke was full of moored private boats, on both sides.

Where have they all gone, I wonder?

There are still some private boats moored in the dyke, on both sides, but I don’t think there are as many as there used to be. There seems to be a fairly high turnover too. 

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Not as good but not far off being perfect for a safe mooring.   

I doubt it would meet the BA’s standards and would probably require a fair bit of refurbishment. No doubt the reason why the idea is a non-starter. 

3 hours ago, vanessan said:

There are still some private boats moored in the dyke, on both sides, but I don’t think there are as many as there used to be. There seems to be a fairly high turnover too. 

Really and what are you basing that conclusion on ?

Last couple of times we moored at Langley BA moorings both sides of private moorings were pretty much packed, and I’m not talking about out of season. What’s going on there? That’s not just about a few boats changing hands. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

May I just check, is Langley Dyke now a complete no-go for overnight moorings?

I haven’t been down there to check who or what may be moored on the old BA moorings, but there has been (to the best of my knowledge) no change to their status since the lease was not renewed last month.

• Thanks 1