Two Moorings Lost?

Mouldy

Just been reading on a couple of FB Broads groups that two BA moorings will soon be lost, at Langley Dyke and Gayes Staithe.  These may be idle rumours, but a respected member on here has actually posted some details, so there may be some truth in it.

Perhaps Tom @BroadsAuthority would like to comment and either confirm or deny the rumours.

• Sad 1

Not so long back, the BA tried to force us to 'double moor' without

so much as a by-your-leave! It failed, so this is another way of forcing

us to do just that!!

Langley Dyke is one of our favourite's on the south side and

Gayes Staithe on the northern side. We are afloat from the 10th for

a week and this is likely to be our last time on the Broads due to the

ongoing saga with JP!! I've been coming to the Broads since 1963

and even owned 4 different boats until recently. The changes I've

seen in recent years is for the worse rather than better and I no longer

look forward to getting afloat.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

I would suggest you blame the landowners as well if its true, not just the BA. The BA cannot make landowners lease these moorings - who probably want the moorings to turn them over to private moorings to boat owners who rarely use their boats.!

As a public (!) body the BA can only pay, I suspect, for leases what some other public body advises. Landowners now see these moorings as a valuable source of revenue - Langley Dyke is a classic example where the whole dyke is turned over often to almost all smaller boats. It wasn't that long ago that you could moor anywhere on the east side of the dyke for the full length - paying higher rent would only increase the pressure on the next renewals as landowners can ask for more, and more!

Its an unhealthy attitude but its been going on for a longtime, and especially by those who don't really need the revenue but who are motivated by profit, profit and yet more profit for what is just marshland otherwise.

• Like 4

The rumour concerning Gay’s staithe , concerning the side on moorings , has been around for a couple of seasons now , and I have noticed that whilst the loose  posts and pathway on the stern on moorings have been recently been addressed the side on moorings have not been attended to , although the ladder fenders have been replaced by the BA .

50 minutes ago, marshman said:

I would suggest you blame the landowners as well if its true, not just the BA. The BA cannot make landowners lease these moorings - who probably want the moorings to turn them over to private moorings to boat owners who rarely use their boats.!

As a public (!) body the BA can only pay, I suspect, for leases what some other public body advises. Landowners now see these moorings as a valuable source of revenue - Langley Dyke is a classic example where the whole dyke is turned over often to almost all smaller boats. It wasn't that long ago that you could moor anywhere on the east side of the dyke for the full length - paying higher rent would only increase the pressure on the next renewals as landowners can ask for more, and more!

Its an unhealthy attitude but its been going on for a longtime, and especially by those who don't really need the revenue but who are motivated by profit, profit and yet more profit for what is just marshland otherwise.

In the case of Langley Dyke the above is not the case .

16 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Just been reading on a couple of FB Broads groups that two BA moorings will soon be lost, at Langley Dyke and Gayes Staithe.  These may be idle rumours, but a respected member on here has actually posted some details, so there may be some truth in it.

Perhaps Tom @BroadsAuthority would like to comment and either confirm or deny the rumours.

I suspect there will be no comment until the 12th ….

1 hour ago, marshman said:

ALL public bodies ,sadly, are hard to deal with, not just the BA. Its the way the world is these days, I am afraid.

Or is it because we are getting older.....!

At one time I might of agreed with you but these days it's more about the agenda of one autocratic individual who appears to want to destroy the very sector that has created the Broads that we know and love, without boats and the toll payers the navigation and area in general will stagnate but that doesn't seem to matter where NP ambitions are concerned.

Fred

• Like 3

It seems to be niggling certain people that a traditional navigation isn't a huge bird bath.  Everyone is entitled to a holiday so if the boats become out of reach there will be more making do with the car. Loads of people in the marine industry looking for work.

Or is it because these moorings are hard to electrify and when all boxes are ticked will it be how much to moor and how much to charge my boat up.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge