A Connoisseur Inspired By The Rascal

jpd

Hi All, 

Thought I would share an upcoming trip I have on the Broads later in October, 4 nights from the 17th on Radiant Light, one of the Connoisseur Cruiser fleet at HW (I'm sure you all know that).

I haven't been up to Norfolk since May last year when we hired Glittering Light, which for some reason I have a soft spot for, hired it several times now. Having found it difficult to find the right time to do a family trip, it will be me and my Brother for a peaceful short break. We booked it a few months back and could not decide on a boat, nothing expensive, we are fine with something older and a little rough around the edges. After watching an old Captain's blog which featured a similar boat (Western Light) we thought lets give one of those a go. They are a familiar sight but the engine noise always put me off hiring one but the Blog convinced me to try one out, I like this style of boat, with the sliding canopy etc and low air draught so really looking forward to picking it up, can't wait to get on the river. 

• Like 5

I remember that Captain's Blog. The design is 30 years old now but still looks fresh I think. What tends to put me off is the side door which is blocked when the roof is back. I hired one of the original 37 foot designs some years ago and that aspect proved awkward at stern-on moorings in particular. The design does have something about it though so hopefully you'll have a great time.

• Like 1

We’ve hired the 45ft version previously, they are great boats just let down by lack of maintenance.

The engine is fairly quiet from the helm, it’s just loud for everyone behind you!!  A private one passed my mooring a few days ago and the exhaust was very quiet so it can be done.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NeilB said:

We’ve hired the 45ft version previously, they are great boats just let down by lack of maintenance.

The engine is fairly quiet from the helm, it’s just loud for everyone behind you!!  A private one passed my mooring a few days ago and the exhaust was very quiet so it can be done.

We hired a 45ft version back in 1995.  I think they are great boats, but let down now by a lack of maintenance.  I don’t mind the side door - it allows independent access to all of the other cabins, without passing through any.  As Neil said, the engine is quiet at the helm, it’s just noisy to everyone following!

Have a great time!

28 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I don’t mind the side door - it allows independent access to all of the other cabins, without passing through any.

I never thought of it like that but that's a very good point. My elder daughter has a particular aversion to "corridor cabins" as she calls them which is understandable.

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I remember that Captain's Blog. The design is 30 years old now but still looks fresh I think. What tends to put me off is the side door which is blocked when the roof is back. I hired one of the original 37 foot designs some years ago and that aspect proved awkward at stern-on moorings in particular. The design does have something about it though so hopefully you'll have a great time.

Yes that was something I did think was a negative, but as mentioned it does have an upside.

Have just spent 11 nights on Silver Light. Yes, the outside looks far from spotless. Rust streaks from the rubbing strakes, marks and scuffs on the hull, the rubber all-around fender could do with someone digging out the mud & moss, and the topsides need a good clean BUT everything inside was spotless and everything mechanical worked faultlessly. Pretty good for a 30yr old boat if you ask me. 

The side entrance is only really a hassle if you moor side on with the starboard side to the bank and hhe pros outweighs the cons in my opinion having that self-contained aft cabin.

Oh and didn't we hit the jackpot with some beautiful early autumn weather.

20231002_085052.jpg

20230929_184116.jpg

20230928_163048.jpg

20230929_181110.jpg

20231004_111602.jpg

20231004_132933.jpg

20231005_162148.jpg

20231005_181232.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 2

They're a great boat, like others have said it's just a shame HW haven't looked after them better.

The irony is that they were bought in and priced as a relatively 'premium' offering compared to what other had in the mid-range, and the only thing that has really stopped that being peoples' perception is the way they look after them.

Odd business.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, oldgregg said:

and the only thing that has really stopped that being peoples' perception is the way they look after them.

Except you can't blame HW for the rust streaks on the hull.  Connoisseur went to the trouble and expense of making special mould tools to have GRP rubbing strakes and then "spoiled the ship for a ha'porth of tar" by using cheap steel fixing bolts and binn iron screws.

The rust will streak every time it rains and eventually, the bolts will rust right through and the whole thing falls off!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, oldgregg said:

They're a great boat, like others have said it's just a shame HW haven't looked after them better.

I don't think I saw a single hire boat, elite premium classic or budget, that didn't look like it couldn't do with some TLC in the shed. I don't think it's fair to single out HW for external appearance. Their boats didn't look any worse than Richardson's or Barnes. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Richie said:

I don't think I saw a single hire boat, elite premium classic or budget, that didn't look like it couldn't do with some TLC in the shed. I don't think it's fair to single out HW for external appearance. Their boats didn't look any worse than Richardson's or Barnes. 

I agree , I noticed, this year in particular, that the external appearance of all the larger yards boats seemed less pristine than one would expect.

Even some of NBD’s boats were looking tired , something that was unthinkable just a couple of years ago.

When we see a Bridgecraft or a Horning Pleasure Craft boat , which is often older than most and it’s immaculate appearance it certainly highlights the differing approach between larger yards and the smaller ones , sadly though the logistics of a large fleet opposed to the smaller yards means hull cleaning etc has to wait to the closed season for some of the large fleets to “smarten up” their boats.

That said, I can state that the older “scruffy” looking back that I have been aboard this last couple of years have all been well presented and clean on the inside and the holiday makers on them were thoroughly enjoying their time afloat in their temporary homes  .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richie said:

Herbert Woods only lift out their boats every other year, to my knowledge everyone else is yearly.  It means half the fleet start the season looking dilapidated!  They seem to have funds for new boats which is great but from my personal experience and a few others on here and even a staff member their maintenance appears a little sparse. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Richie said:

I wasn't singling them out for external appearance. I've seen on board their boats too.

The Connoisseurs aren't too bad but that's because they were designed well and built to take a battering.

Sorry, but there is a reason I will not hire from them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NeilB said:

Herbert Woods only lift out their boats every other year, to my knowledge everyone else is yearly.  It means half the fleet start the season looking dilapidated!  They seem to have funds for new boats which is great but from my personal experience and a few others on here and even a staff member their maintenance appears a little sparse. 

If you look on Herbert Woods webcam during the winter you will often see them lifting their craft out of the water for hull cleaning. All they do, is lift them above the water using their mobile crane, give the hull a quick jet wash & lower them back in the water. The process doesn’t take long at all.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

Like the first photo, you've just got the back of my old boat in. Nice to see she's been looked after.

Saw her a couple of times last weekend. She still looks great. 

I do have a soft spot for those Aston Concorde class boats.

20231002_085056.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1