Norfolk Broads Forum

bucket

Although I never contributed to the "other" forum, I did dip in and out every now and then to catch up on news and opinions.

While it still seems to exist as an entity, all the posts appear to be from one gentleman?

Does anyone on here know what happened?

The third one - run by Miles comes up second in an Internet search now Richard's is down. Miles did take his down sometime ago and announced he was re-launching as a blog. But its still branded as a 'forum'.

18 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The other was the official one.

'Official' one :default_icon_rolleyes:

The nbf was named 'Official' by Richard I'm guessing as a marketing exercise, there wasn't anything official about it at all really

Griff

Good job he never called it "national park".

:default_gbxhmm::default_hiding:

• Haha 9

Richard is ill ,  seriously ill,  nothing to mock or make light of and it is about time someone stuck their head above the parapet and said so.  All we can do is pray for him and his family. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Thank you for that Hylander.

21 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Richard is ill ,  seriously ill,  nothing to mock or make light of and it is about time someone stuck their head above the parapet and said so.  All we can do is pray for him and his family. 

I am sure that we all share your kind wishes for Richard.

• Like 3

I have to say Hylander,  that Richard calling his site the official one was unwise, perhaps to the point of arrogance,  and ill or not, that view I stand by.

I was treated quite shoddily by some of the moderators there, which is why I moved here.

I shouldn't have to state that I wish Richard well, and I'm sure all those who have known him or been on his forum feel the same way. My disagreement with him is water under the bridge now and has been for a long time. 

Some of the members there did a thorough job of alienating some members, who subsequently moved their allegiance to this forum. One in particular has every right to hold Richard in low esteem, yet he seems not to. 

Had I felt inclined to mock Richard or his forum I would have done so. I have not, but I would prefer not to be told that I mustn't. 

• Like 15

I seem to remember!! There again I might have been told!! That some years ago, probably 10 or more, that the BA decided to engage via Broads Social Media, rather like Tom does, today, here.

However in a somewhat different format, a sort of :- " Dr John Packman answers your questions" and members were invited to put forward their concerns and views.

It was at this point the forum was labelled " Official" due to a pathway development opening to the CEO of the Governing body. 

Let us just say that that certain members responded in extremely  poor taste and manners, a few I have been told had personal axes to grind and a golden opportunity was wasted and the engagement never happened again.

Likewise I wish Richard all the very best.

• Thanks 1

The implosion/explosion of the "official" NBF is neither here nor there. As said, certain actions led to an exodus from there to here, and some erstwhile members to leave forum-land for good. If those with the largest axes to grind can find it in themselves to be the bigger person, and wish Richard a return to health, we as a forum should follow their lead. I wish Richard all the best, whatever his health problems. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/07/2018 at 22:29, batrabill said:

John Packman used to post here. He left because “it quickly degenerated to personal insults “

On 01/07/2018 at 10:22, Meantime said:

I think the first session actually went fairly well, well enough to be repeated, and that was where the problems started! People entered into the spirit of the session and a number of questions were asked, but what they didn't realise was that it would later be revealed in BA discussions about higher than normal toll increases, that there had been a wide ranging process of consultation, including with an internet forum. Rightly or wrongly a lot of people felt cheated and mis-represented and the whole process for a lot of people went very quickly down hill from there.

On 01/07/2018 at 17:34, JennyMorgan said:

Where it all went wrong in regard to the 'other place' was when, and I was there & witnessed it, JP had the brass neck to suggest to the officers and committee at a Broads Authority meeting that he'd been in consultation with members of the 'other place' on a particular topic and that he had that forum's general support. It was a misrepresentation of fact, as was explained to me by Richard, admiral of the 'other place' in the pub after the meeting.

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I seem to remember!! There again I might have been told!! That some years ago, probably 10 or more, that the BA decided to engage via Broads Social Media, rather like Tom does, today, here.

However in a somewhat different format, a sort of :- " Dr John Packman answers your questions" and members were invited to put forward their concerns and views.

It was at this point the forum was labelled " Official" due to a pathway development opening to the CEO of the Governing body. 

Let us just say that that certain members responded in extremely  poor taste and manners, a few I have been told had personal axes to grind and a golden opportunity was wasted and the engagement never happened again.

Likewise I wish Richard all the very best.

Some posts reproduced from 2018.

John Packman was a member here, long before the Ask JP sesssions on NBF, and left, as batrabill pointed out, the behaviour towards him by some members was unacceptable.

There were two Ask JP sessions in 2016 (at least). I have copies of them, as I collated the two threads, and there were no untoward posts. But, as Meantime and JennyMorgan point out, John Packman misled the forum members and the Broads Authority members, for his own purposes. Having broken the trust placed in him by the NBF owner and the NBF members, he wasn't invited back.

But I find dragging up old history when Richard is unable, due ill-health resulting in the unavailability of his forum, to make any reply, is distasteful. It's time for chips to be removed from shoulders and move on.

I wish Richard a good recovery and hope his forum reappears before too long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

23 minutes ago, Paladin said:

But I find dragging up old history....

Is that not what you have just done yourself. ?

I don't see any attacks on Richard personally, only good wishes.

Now is perhaps the time to leave this topic before it ends up locked.

• Like 3

I see Paladin has stated facts, nowt more, nowt less regarding JP’s involvement over in the Official’ nbf and replying to a previous post in here to clear up any misunderstandings - Tks  

The OP’s post and headline is about the NBF after all 

Griff

P.S I don’t see any personal attacks on Richard either 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 09:56, Spray said:

There is still a facebook page for Richard's forum but the last post was early November apologising  for the outage. I gather he has not been well and there were offers of help on that post.

I believe Richard was still hosting his forum on his own machine rather than using a VPN or Cloud server - I may be wrong. But wishing him all the best - I noted that he hasn't been around Oulton for a while. Whilst I have always thought that morally this was a far better platform, and have, over many years had spats with many of the regulars of both, I have known Richard well, supported his forum also and commend that his motives have always been good. He has always been a far more kindly soul than many will know, but, when he was chefing, if you turned up and couldn't afford a breakfast, he wouldn't see you wrong!

I wish Richard a very speedy recovery and do hope NBF survives or is archived and accessible for posterity, as there are far too many years or advice, conversations, and arguments.. characters came alive as you read, and, sadly, many of those characters are no longer with us, and their memory exists in their comment on both fora..

Get well soon Richard

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1