Cheap Day Boat On E Bay

Happy

Anyone looking for a day boat on the Broads?  On e bay no. 325991793257 there is a Seamaster 20feet day boat complete with small inboard diesel engine.  Looks cheap to me with a buy it now price.  Definately worth a look if you are interested in buying one.  I had a good look but according to shmbo I am not interested! :default_unsure:  Just to add.  I have NO connection with the seller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Anyone looking for a day boat on the Broads?  On e bay no. 325991793257 there is a Seamaster 20feet day boat complete with small inboard diesel engine.  Looks cheap to me with a buy it now price.  Definately worth a look if you are interested in buying one.  I had a good look but according to shmbo I am not interested! :default_unsure:  Just to add.  I have NO connection with the seller.

"It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission." 😁

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Happy said:

I had a good look but according to shmbo I am not interested! :default_unsure:  

I think you have two options here Alan....

Firstly, you could put your foot down and tell shmbo that you are buying the boat and she will just have to lump it

Secondly, if the first option is too terrifying to even contemplate, do as Mark advised. Buy it anyway and beg forgiveness. If that doesn't work,  run for the hills :default_biggrin: x

• Like 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Happy said:

Hi Gracie.

I'm just too old to run for the hills.  I'll just have another drink and bloody sulk :default_smile::default_winko:

You could just saunter gently for the hills and hope she thinks you went the other way, take the drink with you though.

• Haha 2

I totally agree with what you say - but as I said when oridinally posted - this looks a good buy when you look at the asking price of others  :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

It's on the Thames though. Cost a bit to transport it assuming you could lift at that end. Looks a good price though unless there's something wrong with it.

You could always go by water, I know a young lady that might be up for a trip, see does have form in this type of thing :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

You could always go by water, I know a young lady that might be up for a trip, see does have form in this type of thing :default_biggrin:

If you find out whether she'd be willing I'll buy it!  :default_biggrin: :default_hiding:

• Haha 1

On 05/02/2024 at 19:54, BrundallNavy said:

She says she'd be happy to but only if you'll crew her Doug?

What Doug is referring to is a small task I set my niece back in about May 2022.

I had just purchased a 1955 original Herbert Woods wooden dayboat from a chap in Horning and asked her to motor it back to Oulton Broad for me. A decent day at the helm, spring sunshine, kind tide times and home in about 8 hours plus comfort breaks. Easy....

Of course all this was planned on a warm sunny Monday but by the Thursday, collection day) it was wet, windy dull and proper autumnal. The day didn't start well when her transport to Horning arrived late and then realised the fuel cans were not in the boot! Cans duly collected and they were on their way arriving at Horning just after 11.00 rather than the planned 9.30.

Knowing they were running late and had a tide to catch I'd rung them and suggested they didn't stop for a cuppa or anything and just got aboard and away as fast as they could. Nope, not a chance! The handover was certainly thorough. Just over an hour to explain two switches, a gear lever, the ignition key and a full tour of every nook and cranny you can find on 17ft of floating wood.... they finally escaped just after 12.00 with 4 1/2 hours to Yarmouth and slack water at 14.30.

Fortunately the journey down the Bure was pretty uneventful but they started to punch the tide by Stokesby, a problem enhanced by being told not to go above half throttle "she's an old girl you know". (This I discovered afterwards or I'd have advised them differently at the time) Of course Ali being Ali stuck to his instructions for fear of doing damage and, by the time they reached Marina Quays progress was down to just 2mph. 

I phoned them and suggested that, due to the lateness and the fact that Breydon had been blowing up a bit rough earlier in the day, they should tie up at the yacht station and I'd go and get them. We'd get the boat the next day. "Tell you what" she says, "the wind has dropped a bit. How about I go to the yellow post, have a look see and make a decision whether it looks ok or I turn back"?

Seemed fair enough so that's what we decided. The next phone call was brief "we are just under Breydon Bridge, all looks ok so we will press on. Maybe as far as Somerleyton" 

About a third of the way across the wind was starting to howl, the waves were shipping well over the bow and, as Ali told me afterwards, "I knew we were in for a rough one when the wind suddenly increased but, if I had tried to turn back I'd have been broadside to the swell and, with such little power, out of control" And so they continued. 

I didn't collect them at Somerleyton. By that time sheer bloody mindedness had taken over and they were determined to make it home even if they had needed to get out and push! 

About 22.30 two phone torches being used as nav lights, appeared in the darkness and two absolutely frozen body's were spied huddled together hunched over the steering wheel. About a gallon of hot chocolate later and they had enough feeling in their feet to be able to drive the car home!

The dayboat never missed a beat (fortunately) and the girls did see the funny side, eventually :default_biggrin:

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3