The Aweigh App

I think they’re BST as I was using it at the end of March when the clocks changed and I remember making a point of seeing whether they moved forward by an appropriate amount between the Saturday and the Sunday.
Unless I’m imagining it, they did. 

Also, I’m hoping to go through Yarmouth today and low is about 14.15 according to aweigh, but 13.07 according to the tide table on the one from broads.org (?) that I’ve printed off - the one that used to use BST but has reverted to GMT all year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I think they’re BST as I was using it at the end of March when the clocks changed and I remember making a point of seeing whether they moved forward by an appropriate amount between the Saturday and the Sunday.

Also, I’m hoping to go through Yarmouth today and low is about 14.15 according to aweigh, but 13.07 according to the tide table on the one from broads.org (?) that I’ve printed off - the one that used to use BST but has reverted to GMT all year. 

I agree.  I've just compared the Aweigh app prediction for Gorleston today and tomorrow with the Broads authority tide predictions for the same area and they are not that different - and the broads authority do say that their predictions have been adjusted for BST.

Chris

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, kpnut said:

The lads at GYYS have posted on Facebook, as they do through the season, that low at Yarmouth today is at 14:44.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Yes, Strowagers Shorebase is showing 13.07 today. They do state that all times are GMT so it's just a case of adding an hour. I've always used them and find them very reliable. As I'm mainly out in winter no adjustment needed but we will be afloat in May so I'll make a mental note to add an hour!!

• Like 2

I finally got around to downloading the Aweigh App (seems very useful). I noticed that a couple of moorings are inaccurate. Does anyone know how to contact the dev team to let them know? I only realised as I had been up there for the first time this year and we had lunch moored on Womack Dyke.

Screenshot_2024-04-20-13-17-22-615_com.aweigh.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-20-13-17-30-625_com.aweigh.jpg

I also noticed today that north cove mooring is not quite where it should be. It’s marked too far downstream. I was passing where it said it should be and there was just overgrown vegetation and I thought ‘surely that hasn’t all grown up since I moored there in September’. 

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

I also noticed today that north cove mooring is not quite where it should be. It’s marked too far downstream. I was passing where it said it should be and there was just overgrown vegetation and I thought ‘surely that hasn’t all grown up since I moored there in September’. 

I noticed that when we were last on our way down to Beccles. (Maybe that should be ‘up’, depending whether you are talking about going south or travelling upstream), lol.) I was tracking our route on Aweigh App. Luckily I’ve been up and down that stretch so many times now I knew it was wrong.

I have been using the Aweigh App recently which is very useful for all the tide HW and LW locations and yes, they are adjusted for BST.

I also use the map section to keep track of where we are on the twisting rivers. However is it possible to get the screen to scroll automatically like a car GPS rather than having to move it manually to keep up with the boat?

I also find it useful to see what the tide is doing by comparing speed over the ground (VMG) compared with speed through the water. It is also clever that it is giving speed over the actual boat track rather than 'as the crow flies'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulN said:

I also use the map section to keep track of where we are on the twisting rivers. However is it possible to get the screen to scroll automatically like a car GPS rather than having to move it manually to keep up with the boat?

When I press ‘follow’ it tracks my progress. Often it stops again a bit later, but that might be ‘cos I fiddle around with other distracting things while going along. 

18 hours ago, kpnut said:

When I press ‘follow’ it tracks my progress. Often it stops again a bit later, but that might be ‘cos I fiddle around with other distracting things while going along. 

18 hours ago, kpnut said:

Thanks Kate 

You must have been sending me good vibes, because when we set off today the screen scrolled and the boat stayed in the centre of the screen. I hadn't seen the follow option, will have another look. 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 09:55, DAVIDH said:

Sure it will be linked. It would be too expensive to have their own imagery. They will pay Google a fee for access.

Indeed, though I do wonder why not use OSM given that one can contribute to and enhance it.