Reversing Cameras

Hi 

Does anyone have experience of a reversing camera.We have a Princess 33 moored in a really difficult spot in our marina.So much so that we are wary about taking her out and thought a camera might alleviate some of the stress.Any thoughts would be  apprecIated.

Many Thanks

Pauline and Keith

You do not need a reversing camera. Just be aware or your surroundings. Take it slowly. Stop if necessary, look around and then reverse. And then, most importantly perhaps most important, do not under any circumstances put too much energy into your boat. A liitle nudge of the throttle, and I really mean an intercerceptable nudge in forward gear to bring the stern around. And then a nudge in reverse. Have a look, perhaps try putting the wheel on the other lock. If necessary. But calmly. Same process. Speed does not and never has been the problem or an issue whatever you have been told.

It is all about putting energy into your boat, or controlled energy, when carrying out intracut manoeuvres. A little nudge here and a little nudge there. It is sometimes all that is needed. A camera will not teach you that. Buy one if you wish. It will undoubtedly show you where you went wrong. 

Speed and energy. The former often mentioned, energy into a boat on mooring or leaving a mooring hardly mentioned and there is a difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

I fitted hard wired rear and side cameras on Whitey around 12 years ago to cover blind spots. I wouldn't be without them. On the topliner they are essential.

IMG_20240525_203746.jpg

IMG_20240525_203646.jpg

I did the same on a previous boat, a Bounty 30 and found them invaluable, it's not about helming in reverse it's about seeing clearly where you are helming in reverse!

• Like 3

I would probably go for wireless if fitting now, depending on how much use the boat will get, charging may be a hassle compared with hard wired. Hard wired can take a lot of effort to run the cable from the back to the helm.

• Like 2

This is the one I’ve got , the higher you can mount it the better , it’s rechargeable via usb and the charge lasts for about 5 hours but I only used to switch it on when needed , and remember to take it off when moored up (magnet holds it securely to the provided plate if you haven’t a suitable surface to mount it)

IMG_4302.png

• Like 4

We've got a bath tub and I fitted a hard wired jobby bought from yeba (anagram) 

Really good when single cruising leave it on all the time just incase we aren't up to the speed target and something creeps up behind us it shows their bow wave before them.

Also really good for safety, as the ones which are fitted to cars and lorries always worth a look before going back and checking just incase someone has entered your path .

No mirrors on our tub so very useful to us

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

Hi Keith Do you have outdrives or inboard and is your boat twin engined or single as any of these combinations may be the problem with maneuvering in tight spots on a 33. John

Hi 

Thanks for all your responses. I knew some one would know. The wealth of knowledge on this Forum is extensive.

Anv . It is twin engine inboard. The vision is not good. Smoggy . How true. We are not the worst helm but not the best either even after many years  of boating .We are at Cove and it is pretty tight . The only consolation is that the majority of berth holders do have some issues. We have been out at the weekend and managed to get it back in  with using the ropes  a fair bit, so O.K. but not ideal. We have an extensive Furuno navigation system. Does anyone know  if a camera could be integrated into this?

Many Thanks

Keith

Have a wireless Auto-Vox camera and monitor brought of the web waiting to be fitted as I have zero rear vision when on my own. Took power for the camera from the nearest fusebox and plugged the monitor into a cigarette lighter socket, image is cystal clear even in night vision and image on the screen can be inverted if requied.

• Like 2

Hi Keith Are you reversing with the canopy up ?, if so you would need a camera on each stern corner unless you elevated it on a pole attached to the roof. Just a thought as i thought the view through the patio doors was good. Have you thought of rear view mirrors, this is what I have, gives a uninterrupted view down both sides when mooring ect. John

• Like 1

Hi John

Yes the canopy is usually up.Would agree if it was down the vision through the patio doors would be better.Did wonder if we could fit a camera on the radar arch.It is comforting to know that more boat owners than us need assistance to stern moor.Don't feel so much of a numpty!

Many Thanks

We are going to fit one. We have just been waiting for our aft canopy to be fitted then we can fit the camera around it. We have a blind spot on the starboard side, the boat crabs to one side and we dont have a bow thruster unlike on Luna. Basically we need all the help we can get 😂

• Like 1