Norfolk Newspaper

None I'm afraid, the edp group and others have got rid of 90% of their journalists. Most articles are puff pieces sent in by people trying to publicise something. Or it's done by someone sitting in an office and phoning around for quotes, often what they get has not a lot to do with what happened.

• Like 5

Thank you TheQ for that information  I live in Essex and like to  see the Norfolk Newspapers  but as you've pointed out some things I won't  be subscribing to any of the Norfolk Newspapers and stick to the Norfolk Broads Forum for the future 

• Like 2

BBC Radio Norfolk used to have a guy called Wally Web on.   He was really interesting to listen to and to boot has a boat on the Norfolk Broads.   Met him and his wife , lovely couple.   Not certain if they have pensioned poor Wally off , knowing how short sighted these stations are these days.      I get the impression that as long as it has a pulse and can push a button it has a job.

39 minutes ago, Hylander said:

BBC Radio Norfolk used to have a guy called Wally Web on.   He was really interesting to listen to and to boot has a boat on the Norfolk Broads.   Met him and his wife , lovely couple.   Not certain if they have pensioned poor Wally off , knowing how short sighted these stations are these days.      I get the impression that as long as it has a pulse and can push a button it has a job.

Used to like Wally. Met him at a few events - interesting chap. Was Ex RAF too, and a member of one of the local historic re-enactment groups ( something Militia - can't recall what )

• Like 1

It's such a shame really, to think that up until the 70s, the Eastern Daily Press was considered the best and most respected provincial newspaper in the country.  Renowned for its totally factual reporting of events, with no sensation or speculation added.

They can't prove it now, as records were destroyed by bombing in WW2 but the paper is said to have reported the sinking of the Titanic in a single column, on an inside page, headed :

NORFOLK MAN DROWNS AT SEA. 

Another of its famous headlines, during the war, was :

MONTGOMERY FLIES BACK TO FRONT.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

1 hour ago, RumPunch said:

Used to like Wally. Met him at a few events - interesting chap. Was Ex RAF too, and a member of one of the local historic re-enactment groups ( something Militia - can't recall what )

Wally had one of Ray Bondons Sancere Class.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hylander said:

Yes! Wally was one of the casualties of the night of the long knives BBC Local Radio reorganization. he used to do the running for their treasure Quest from time to time. Lovely couple, Him an his wife used to live in the old Naval Hospital on Gt Yarmouth seafront. Met him quite a few times at Treasure quest events really nice guy.

• Like 1

Used to love listening to Wally on Radio Norfolk early morning. He usually said something amusing about boating and tides. I remember one morning, he talked about a guy he had met, at Reedham I think it was. Turned out the chap was a member of the Broads Authority. During the conversation the chap told Wally quite categorically that the broads and rivers were not tidal. Try as he might, Wally was apparently unable to convince him otherwise 😏.

I also remember a weatherman called Stan, he had a broad Norfolk accent and was wonderful to listen to. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, vanessan said:

During the conversation the chap told Wally quite categorically that the broads and rivers were not tidal. Try as he might, Wally was apparently unable to convince him otherwise 😏.

it was maybe Dr pacman in his early years

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

I used to like “cardboard shoes” on the  late slot which was broadcast on Radio Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambs etc. Might tune in tonight to see what they broadcast now.

Still lives in Horning I think

• Like 1