Classic Boat For Sale In Norfolk

She's definitely a beauty and probably the prettiest motor boat produced by Windboats (if anyone knows better, please post pics!). I think she's been on the market for a while - I'm sure she was with a Thames broker recently. There's also a website with tonnes of info:

https://my-vanessa.com/history

The only slightly sad thing is that, whilst her current Perkins engines actually deliver more power, they're only 4 cylinder. She originally had a couple of 6 cylinder Thorneycrofts, which I suspect probably sounded much more in keeping with her style.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Gracie said:

I'll let you guys know when I've sold her and show you my next boat. Well a girl can dream can't she :default_biggrin:

An absolute beauty of a boat

Grace x

A glass of wine on the deck would go down a treat Gracie on that craft ☺️

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I can imagine it now Roy. Lying on that deck with a glass of something cold and fizzy, enjoying the sounds of our beautiful Broads, the bird song, the gentle rippling of the water when a pesky hirer comes along, moors up and starts running their ruddy engine :default_biggrin:

I am a hirer by the way and proud :default_winko:

Grace x

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Very nice. Might not get it under Potter bridge though.

Oh I don’t know, it looks quite solid. If you took a decent run at it 😉.

Beautiful piece of craftsmanship . Can someone explain how/why it is called a motor “ yacht” ?

I always assumed a boat became a yacht when it could put up sails and traveled under the natural elements ? Obviously not, can someone enlighten me 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

I always assumed a boat became a yacht when it could put up sails and traveled under the natural elements ?

The term is also used for large and attractive motor vessels. I suspect a lot of the reason is pure snobbery.

• Like 4

My Grand father use to have a similar looking  vessel made by a company called Silver, it was fitted with 2 small masts and sails. The sails were steadying sails, purely uses to steady the vessel. Maybe that’s where the term motor yacht came from?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I can imagine it now Roy. Lying on that deck with a glass of something cold and fizzy, enjoying the sounds of our beautiful Broads, the bird song, the gentle rippling of the water when a pesky hirer comes along, moors up and starts running their ruddy engine :default_biggrin:

I am a hirer by the way and proud :default_winko:

Grace x

You forgot the bit where the hirer whacks the beautiful boat while trying to moor up 🤣

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

I always assumed a boat became a yacht when it could put up sails and traveled under the natural elements ? Obviously not, can someone enlighten me 🤔

in the same way that superyachts probably have never seen a scrap of canvas to assist propulsion, it engenders a certain level of class, I mean you would never get to encourage the ladies aboard if it was called a super stinky.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 26/07/2024 at 15:16, dom said:

The only slightly sad thing is that, whilst her current Perkins engines actually deliver more power, they're only 4 cylinder. She originally had a couple of 6 cylinder Thorneycrofts, which I suspect probably sounded much more in keeping with her style.

I imagine engines are so far developed it would be difficult to get a modern 6 cylinder engine that wouldn't be ludicrously overpowered for what I presume is a displacement hull 😅 Yanmar's weakest 6 seems to have 315hp, only erm... 3.5x as powerful as the 4 that's fitted.

Lovely looking thing though. Is 53' usable on the Broads? I thought 42' was pretty much the maximum if you want to get onto all rivers (though the dinghy will help! Could row down the Chet)

3 hours ago, William92 said:

I imagine engines are so far developed it would be difficult to get a modern 6 cylinder engine that wouldn't be ludicrously overpowered for what I presume is a displacement hull 😅 Yanmar's weakest 6 seems to have 315hp, only erm... 3.5x as powerful as the 4 that's fitted.

Lovely looking thing though. Is 53' usable on the Broads? I thought 42' was pretty much the maximum if you want to get onto all rivers (though the dinghy will help! Could row down the Chet

A couple of marinised Mercedes OM606s would be one option, easily tuned from anywhere between 130 and 700hp each, whilst not being too thirsty.

46ft is the length limit for most restricted areas, but I believe she's exempt due to age. I wouldn't want to take her down the Chet though!

27 minutes ago, dom said:

46ft is the length limit for most restricted areas, but I believe she's exempt due to age. I wouldn't want to take her down the Chet though!

It depends on whether the boat was registered on The Broads before 1992, but navigating The Chet would be a challenge regardless!

IMG_2394.thumb.jpeg.1e6d78d97aa5f5d468122d6fd0571362.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mouldy said:

It depends on whether the boat was registered on The Broads before 1992

Fairly safe on that score. She was on the Broads from 1953 to 68ish, moving to France then Spain.