Mooring at The Wherry at Oulton

andyhesford

I think that it's a tenner, so much refundable in the restaurant. Re business, 'tis the holiday season & the Southern Rivers have had a bit of a sales campaign over the last twelve months. People are discovering the charms of The Waveney.

Hi Peter,

it`s not just the Waveney`s charm, don`t forget the Yare and Chet?.  Whenever we go up the Yare, we prefer the peace and quiet of Langley dyke, or if you want a pub, Rokland staithe. The moorings on the Chet at Pye`s mill are very popular, as you`re away from traffic noise, and only a 5 minute walk to Rosie Lea`s, and all the other facilities at Loddon.

Further up the Yare, mooring at the Coldham hall is well worth considering, as the river can be very busy with boats, or very quiet and peaceful, with the opportunity of a good meal at the pub.

It always amazes me when you read peoples holiday tales about when they`ve come down from the north, but for some reason will never hire and stay south side, especially when they`ll take 2 days out of their holiday to get south.

Yes, the south rivers have a lot going for them, so i can`t understand why more people (who as mentioned above venture south regularly) flatly refuse to hire on the south side in the first place?.

Regards to all ....................... Neil.

• Like 3

I love the South too Neil but the main reason for hiring north and then travelling South (as opposed to hiring South) for me is loyalty to Richardsons. I am keeping my eye on Pacific, Maffett and Freedom though as the value options because I realised recently I haven't hired from the South since I last went with Pacific in 2006. There are some fantastic boats available from the Brundall yards of course, just too pricey for my current budget.

The question is, if I did hire from the South for a full week, would I go north for part of it? The answer is yes probably. I love the north and South for their own distinct appeal and I would miss the north if I didn't go there.

I love the South too Neil but the main reason for hiring north and then travelling South (as opposed to hiring South) for me is loyalty to Richardsons. I am keeping my eye on Pacific, Maffett and Freedom though as the value options because I realised recently I haven't hired from the South since I last went with Pacific in 2006. There are some fantastic boats available from the Brundall yards of course, just too pricey for my current budget.

The question is, if I did hire from the South for a full week, would I go north for part of it? The answer is yes probably. I love the north and South for their own distinct appeal and I would miss the north if I didn't go there.

Hi Simon,

To be entirely honest, i also miss places like Dilham, Coltishall and Ludham, but whenever we go there,moorings are very hard to find, (especially at Ludham) unless you moor for the night at lunchtime, even earlier in some places.. Sometimes, if tides are higher than normal, we can`t get under Wroxham, let alone Potter Heigham bridges, but on the Southern rivers, bridges are not a problem providing you hire a purposely designed broads cruiser. Also, it`s very rare to go somewhere and not be able to moor., though Reedham can get busy.

One other thing about the Southern rivers is you get to see more private sea going boats, which are sometimes a welcome change from always seeing hireboats.

We`re out on Lightning for the first time in October, and hoping that my brother and his partner will be able to join us again. When we were on Kestrel in June, i suggested staying south again which he said would be a good idea, as whenever we`ve all been together before, we`ve always done North and South. It`s also nice to not have to use nearly 2 days cruising from one to the other, and enjoy those extra days at a more leisurely pace.

• Like 1

In the days of Hearts at Thorpe and Astons at Loddon, I started from both, many times. I did a week on both sides in the fortnight, but in those days deisel was cheap as chips so always got money back and damage waiver deposit also, oh how things have changed! I for one miss taking my hire craft through Wroxham Bridge under my own skills,  not spend time sitting waiting at what I can only describe as a daft place for a pick up point, IMHO of course!

To me the South broads have a special charm away from the biz of the North, The Chet feels totaly different now, sooo much wider than before. The trip up to Norwich is nothing like the eyesore it use to be. Still not convinced about all the changes at Woods End pub, maybe because i'm old in the tooth and remember it as a good pub many years ago. Pub, not a gastro pub, how I detest that name grrrr. Surlingham Ferry pub is a good pub for both drinking and eating, portions large to gut bursting.

I could go on, but wont, get down to the South, and find out for yourselves. If worried about crossing Braydon, don't be, if you follow the guidlines and all the info on forums etc you cannot, or should not, go wrong. That's my plug for the South Broads on a very driech day up here !

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

We also hire North and venture South mainly for two reasons, the first being our boys love crossing Breydon especially when it's choppy they think they're at sea, secondly we love to cruise and been known to cruise virtually all day just stopping for a lunch break.

We, like Simon just love Richardsons (I may have mentioned that before lol) and do feel a sense of loyalty towards them. We have hired from the South a couple of times in the past and then ventured North.

For me the Broads is special where ever you hire from or cruise to, the usual haunts Wroxham and Horning etc are beautiful but take a cruise on the Chet or Rockland Broad and watch the sunsets just breath taking. As long as we don't moor at pubs for the night I don't care where I am when we are on the Broads

Grace

• Like 3

We hired from Richardsons for several years and always had excellent service. We often ventured south, but it was always a rush, so last year we were looking for a small boat as it was the first time it would be just the two of us and from a yard on the southern rivers. After reading write ups by Neil we decided to try Swallow from Maffetts. The boat was excellent, handled really well and was exceptional value. We decided to go for two weeks this August so that we could go north for the first week and get the train to the carnival at Cromer and spend the second week south. As it is August this year instead of the May half term the fishing tackle is already packed.

Edited to say that we have hired from Maffetts again, Swallow was taken so we are in Kingfisher this year. Have already book Swallow though for next August.

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

Sometimes, if tides are higher than normal, we can`t get under Wroxham, let alone Potter Heigham bridges, but on the Southern rivers, bridges are not a problem providing you hire a purposely designed broads cruiser. 

Well, if you hire, as you say "a purposley designed broads cruiser"

Then you should get through the bridges mentioned, Wroxham, Potter..... let alone the ones darn sarf

:Stinky

Well, if you hire, as you say "a purposley designed broads cruiser"

Then you should get through the bridges mentioned, Wroxham, Potter..... let alone the ones darn sarf

:Stinky

Hi Geoffers,

We ALWAYS hire a boat specifically designed to go under ALL broads bridges, but have on several occaisions NOT been able to get under Wroxham bridge. Not many i grant you, but still quite a bit more than once or twice.  As for Potter Heigham bridge, we`ve only ever been able to get under that thing twice since the early 90s. Once in May 97 on Merrymore, the other about 4 years ago on Tower Bridge. I may be wrong, but i`m sure Alpha and Bounty bathtubs were ALL designed with Potter Heigham bridge in mind?.

Re the Wherry, a well placed mud-weight can help.

Quite so Peter,

Whenever we moor stern on to an uneven quay heading, i always throw the mudweight a way ou from the bow and tie up tight to the cleat, and have plenty of slack on the stern ropes. That way, when the tide comes up, The mudweight rope shortens, drawing the boat away from the quay heading.

I`ve also seen boats hung up at the yachtstation, both at Oulton Broad and Beccles.