a case of mis information

Chelsea14Ian

I haven't ventured South, and am pretty aprehensive of so doing.

Under power I made 3.8mph on Barton according to my GPS

How strong are those tides again............. :Sailing

Oh - and just realised afer much lurking ( and inhabiting elsewhere ) this is my first post here !

Welcome to the forum RumPunch.

Get the tides right and you'd have no problem other than obviously having to lower your mast for the bridges. However, with a spring ebb running at 4-5 kts through Yarmouth I doubt you'd make any headway if trying to punch it!

There is now a handy waiting pontoon between Breydon bridge and the entrance to the Bure, so you could always go through Yarmouth on the last of the ebb, stop on the pontoon and raise your mast, and then sail across Breydon with the first of the flood tide. You'd just need to book a bridge lift at Breydon to get through there with your mast raised.

We have never had a problem, the only problem we would have is if we didn't do Breydon, our two boy's always "want to go to sea" as they put it lol

I just think if you take extreme care and get lot's of advice with a bit of common sense thrown in there shouldn't be a problem.

We crossed in a storm once (ok only a mild storm) and loved every minute, the choppier the better, bring it on I say  :clap

Grace

• Like 4

There is now a handy waiting pontoon between Breydon bridge and the entrance to the Bure, so you could always go through Yarmouth on the last of the ebb, stop on the pontoon and raise your mast, and then sail across Breydon with the first of the flood tide. You'd just need to book a bridge lift at Breydon to get through there with your mast raised.

Between bridges, yer gotta larf!

I have often taken a 28' Broads sailing cruiser, complete with a 3.5 hp outboard, from Oulton Broad to Martham for her winter lay-up, comfortably in a day. When I have hit the ebb at the Yacht-station, when coming off Breydon a bit previous like, I have found myself going backwards! Get it right & it's a doddle.

I wouldn't be so sure Watershed! I crossed it once with an old Seagull Forty Plus and if I remember they were only 2 to 3HP, I reckon Peter could cross Breydon with a couple of lolly sticks and an elastic band if he had to,,,,

Frank,,,,

PS. I forgot to mention my boat was a Seamaster Cadet 24ft and a dead engine,,,, 

Don't wish to be disrespectful or cause offence and I'm certainly not questioning your knowledge,experience or abilities,but 3.5 HP on a 28' boat sounds a tad underpowered/optimistic? I'm hoping it was a typo! I've got my flak jacket and helmet ready.

Perfectly adequate if you're not in a roaring hurry and 'work' the tides. The average yacht hull needs far less effort to push it through the water than needed by a mobo. You'll probably still get the best part of 'hull speed' out of a 28 footer with 3.5hp

I stand corrected.

My comment was based on my own experience sailing the Essex coast,estuaries and creeks. My own boat,a 20' yacht,has a makers recommendation of 6hp,about the largest the outboard well will take.

I use a 4hp but would prefer a "little extra' in reserve.

Perfectly adequate if you're not in a roaring hurry and 'work' the tides. The average yacht hull needs far less effort to push it through the water than needed by a mobo. You'll probably still get the best part of 'hull speed' out of a 28 footer with 3.5hp

Very true, and I believe lightly ballasted shallow draught Broads yachts are even easier to push through the water than sea-going sailing craft with deep keels.

I've seen quite a few Broads sailing cruisers belting along with dinghy sized motors on the back, like this chap last year passing St Benets.

You can see by the length of the bow wave that he's at maximum hull speed.

post-195-0-49861300-1410885215_thumb.jpg

Don't wish to be disrespectful or cause offence and I'm certainly not questioning your knowledge,experience or abilities,but 3.5 HP on a 28' boat sounds a tad underpowered/optimistic? I'm hoping it was a typo! I've got my flak jacket and helmet ready.

No typo, just a case of using the tides. Ebb from Oulton Broad to Yarmouth, flood from Yarmouth to Martham. Certainly couldn't plug the tide with a 3.5 but why not take advantage of nature's free fuel? We fairly hoss along with the tide & 3/4 throttle, good day's run. I say 'day', but to take the tide might mean crossing Breydon in the dark, great on a moonlit night.

• Like 1

Very true, and I believe lightly ballasted shallow draught Broads yachts are even easier to push through the water than sea-going sailing craft with deep keels.

I've seen quite a few Broads sailing cruisers belting along with dinghy sized motors on the back, like this chap last year passing St Benets.

That's Zingara, over a hundred years old.

Which would be how fast?

Which would be how fast?

She's about 28 feet on deck from memory, but has long 'overhangs' at both ends, so waterline length (which governs hull speed)  I'm guessing at no more than 18 feet, so that would be no more than 6mph using the formula

debe7ac296f4be93d2afae178fa37969.png