RSPB, and an interesting read.

MauriceMynah

There is a member in the other place, who may be a member here under a different name, I don't know. Anyway, he posted a link there which I found made interesting reading (probably because I agreed with it!)

I shall attempt to place the link here, but be gentle with me if it doesn't work, I've never done it before,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/11233388/One-big-grouse-has-the-RSPB-lost-its-true-aims.html

A friend of mine, a keen rough shooter was a member of the BASC which after a while he got fed up with telling me it stood for the "British Association for Shooting and Conservation" and not the "British Association for Slaughter and Carnage" as I kept calling it.

I also rewrote some words of a hymn, just for him!

All things bright and beautiful,

All creatures great and small.

Give me loads of cartridges,

I want to shoot them all.

I shoot them when their flying,

I shoot them when they sit

I shoot them while they run around,

There's no fun quite like it.

Hey ho! :)

• Like 5

As the article says, the RSPB has lost its way...time for its wings to be clipped I think.

I hope MM is not sitting on a fence accompanied by a 'Famous Grouse' otherwise he runs the risk of being a target for those gamekeepers!

• Like 2

Now't wrong with shooting, so long as it's sustainable and vulnerable species are left alone. Ex cricketers with vested interests, at least he makes no pretence about his shooting activities. Me, I no longer shoot, unless it's with a camera, but that's my choice. The RSPB should stick to birds, not politics.

The RSBP had a stool in a local town collecting funds, one of the things they were very proud of was the purchase of some forest in a far flung country to protect the habitat of some endangered  big cat.  The guy on the stool got very defensive when I asked if it was a migratory bird or not, apparently there are birds in the forest as well though he couldn't name any of them.

• Like 1

I recently had professional dealings with this organization. When asked what the scope of the work was I was told by the frontline bod on the ground, " everything, we have loads of money". None of the work involved birds but was more about feathering the office nest. That says a lot about the organization.

Since when did we allow people north of the border to play OUR game? Very cheeky.

Still , best not mention the football last night eh Iain?

Mark,

As one who use to bowl to a past England Captain, who was Scottish, and played with an ex Oxford Blue,also Scottish, I think I have every right to mention playing YOUR game :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

You have every right Iain, just don't say you were any good at it. :)

Considering I coached a lad at our club who scored a century on debut at Lords for Scotland against the MCC, I will leave it at that. A Scot is head coach of Warwickshire, and they do not too badly. Having played with Ashley Mallett and against such players as Rohan Kanhai, Sadiq Mohammed, Intikhab Alam, and my drinking pal Bob Massie, I could go on, but nah wont  :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Mark,

Perhaps England should play all their games up here where there is proper atmosphere :naughty: . I find the New Wembley Stadium, dead, compared to the old twin towers version, when it comes to internationals. I thought that is the best England have played in ages. IF they had played like that in the WC they may have progressed to the knockout stages. Just my opinion though.

cheers Iain.

Iain,

I agree with you about Wembley now - no character. Then it's probably going the same way as many a new stadium (not that I have visited many).

Maybe we need to put a Scot in charge next time? Now that would get things livened up on the North/South divide discussion. :naughty:  :naughty:

At least you still don't need your passport when you come down to Norfolk next. cheersbar