Business Reputations and Reviews

LondonRascal

What are peoples thoughts about checking whether the pub you are keen to go to has faired well on Trip Advisor, of the company that you plan to holiday with is doing ok when it comes to feed back from other customer reviews?

I know some don’t agree with this - they go to a pub have a lovely meal and tell others how nice it was, and others then think 'really gosh but it only got 2 stars online'.

Who would have thought when Twitter launched that a service which limits people to 140 characters or less to send messages would result in the fast dispatch of a Labour MP.  But it has and surely will again cause countless others to leave office or jobs.

I think we are now in a time where rightly or wrongly a business may be made or broken on the basis of people’s feedback on the likes of Trust Pilot and Trip Advisor. 

If you looked up a business and they had 4 stars on average and generally very good reviews most would surly go there compared to somewhere down the road who only had 2 star reviews.  So it is that businesses will need to devote more time to raising their star ranking in reviews – maybe that means a complete change of direction, new staff, training – or maybe just getting the great quality and service they can provide some of the time – all of the time.

I don’t envy the likes of a pub who not only having to worry about keeping the customers happy on the ground, paying the bills and making a living – but also managing their Face Book followers and Twitter feed to ‘give the right image’ and interact with the loyal following (and deal with any issues some disgruntled customers may comment on) but then also keep a keen eye on their reputation on review sites, their ranking in Google and so on.

There are now businesses being formed who (for a pretty steep fee) will take over your online reputation and manage it for you which further goes to show how shallow and pointless a lot of this online reputation really is if a third party is looking after it on behalf of a company.

It has begun, it is where things are and sure as hell is not going to go anywhere now - but what do you think, is that right?

Use Trip Advisor a lot, but what we do is actually read the reviews.

More important with holidays I think as you can get reviews from different countries which can skew the markings. A small room to a Yank, might be cavernous to us.

Always good to read why someone gave them a poor marking. And some you can read and think well they had a good time/meal and said nothing bad, but only gave them 2 stars!

It's also worth taking note of costs as well - if someone is comparing a £10 all you can eat buffet with a £100 Michelin stared main, then you could assume the service and quality might be better on the latter - some people don't seem to get it though.

So my advise (and I think I have mentioned this before), read it, take it in, is it current, make your choice.

Of course, to answer Robins question, a lot of gullible people will take what they read as gospel and this can break a business, but you have to hope that enough regulars will have a good experience to spread the word.

More important with holidays I think as you can get reviews from different countries which can skew the markings. A small room to a Yank, might be cavernous to us.

Hi Mark,

You are spot on with that remark above. We stayed in a Ramada Hotel in Kastel in Germany while on a coach tour. Our room was very big indeed, you could have held a guid party in it! :naughty:

A few years later I happened to read Trip Advisor about that same hotel, could not believe what I was reading, till, I saw where the reply had came from, yup the good old USofA :naughty:

cheers Iain.

An age old problem that will never be solved for as long as these reviews are written by human beings.

Some people are genuinely nice. they will be given something that is "good enough" and will give it a ten. then, when confronted with perfection, they give that a ten too.

These are the sorts of people who when asked after a meal "What would you mark that out of ten?" will without exception say "20". They are tiresome folk who had an original thought once but did nothing about it!

Then you get the other side of that coin, those who will never give a ten because that would be perfection, and the meal they just ate couldn't be perfect as nothing is! These people will, if having just had the best meal of their lives which was indeed perfect, will respond to the above question with "9.999". These people also had an original thought once but ignored it not realising it to have been a good one.

Add to these people those who always say nice things, subtract those who never say anything, good or bad and try to ignore those who have axes to grind either positive or negative and you end up with this indisputable truth. You cannot, under any circumstances, take any notice of reviews.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just a cynic!

• Like 1

Oh MM do you work with Politicians? :bow

Me, I would kick myself if I went somewhere that was bad because I hadn't read a review. Got to learn to read between the lines and a lot of the time it is fairly obvious if someone has had a bad experience. And as humans do we not tend to post a review about a bad experience rather than the other way round?

Anyway, I like them, but just try and take a balanced view about what they say.

• Like 1

What made me raise this was an advert I heard on the radio talking about (but not mentioning any names) poor reviews posted online and your businesses reputation that you've worked so hard to get with customers in person not being held in such high esteem online when it comes to reviews.  In effect pay us and we will sort all that side of things out for you.

I take reviews generally with a pinch of salt - say I wanted a camera and I went on Amazon and read up on what others had to say, what that gives me is their interpretation of a product - but I want to actually see it how good does it look, sound and so on and you can only get that by watching video someone happens to have taken with it - same with a pub, no good someone saying it is the best in the area, great drinks and food and you arrive wanting to play darts and have a Strongbow and all they have is Magners and a pool table.  Mr Dart playing Strongbow lover is not going to rate the experience as much as the other person.

But what I think is vital is a business, whatever it is gets online reading what people say and responding to them.  Look at boatyards, Richardson's use Trust Pilot - a brave move for it requires no sign up just someone to come along type what they feel rate out of 5 stars and hit submit. 

Often good reviews are welcomed and commented upon which is nice and less nice ones are looked into, a named contact given so it makes the person who posted the not so warm review have someone to approach at Richardson's and others reading think 'at least they take notice' and if they take notice, it may well be they do better and better trying to keep everyone as pleased as they are able.

Conversely, Barnes Brinkcraft who can be found on Trip Advisor, seem to get not such good reviews but one has to take into account they are spread over boats, day boats and their shore based accommodation.  What I found surprising was there is absolutely  no interaction from people at Barnes Brinkcraft with the people leaving reviews.  On their Facebook page when someone used such as a place to make their point, a reply from Barnes Brinkcraft was then made but very much  in the tone of 'telling them off' as Facebook is not the place to talk of such issues.

The problem is while posting harsh opinions on the Facebook page of a business  might not be the most correct way about it, it is an avenue people take and it can't be stopped and of course there are always two sides to a story but one does not want to get into disputes in the public realm or 'tit for tat' replies going on - but to say nothing can make it appear you don't care, or take on board people's views. 

One thing is for sure the only real winners are the websites who host the reviews - I know I regret signing up to Trip Advisor as for weeks after until I figured out how to shut them up I got emails telling me how many times my review had been seen, that one of my Facebook friends had submitted a review for something I could not care less about and how I could save money with booking hotels  just hate  email lists!

I enjoy visiting places once and making my own mind up so don't bother too much with Trip Advisor etc.

If I get poor service I tend to just not return, as long as someone is doing an alright job it is not much of a problem, and poor service I find quite interesting too anyway!

Managing,driving and keeping up with acceleration in online social/reviews etc can be quite hard on the smaller companies I think where staffing can be tighter,  Also if one role sometimes covers more responsibilities or the team small this can also make bad reviews be harder to take less personally or not show annoyance at the one side of the story given or the notable omissions of key facts from the review to have really been fair/balanced, but the companies that get the balance right, don't take them personally or react on the not so good ones will go from strength to strength.  It's often a good indicator of a business that truly puts the customer at the centre of the business and one that just thinks it does

Dan

I have seen hotel managers respond to good and bad reviews on trip advisor. So it can be done but i do think it is sometimes a bit of bum covering.

As Dave says if you post on there yourself then at least you might add to the more accurate reviews.

Going somewhere we have never been before anything that gives us insight is better than nothing.

You could say any reviews, recommendations on this site are pointless as well as it's all opinion based?

And robin I can assure you if you gave me a £10k camera my video would not look half as good as yours and I assume your camera might not be that expensive.

As Dave and I have said read between the lines.

I don't have an answer to stop businesses being affected adversely by bad reviews that aren't warranted but I wonder how often that happens?

I'm guilty of not leaving reviews on these sites even through I check them before booking. If there's a rough review I see if you can check there other reviews to see if the trend is there.

July this year I was at a Ramada for a weeks course, and meeting a lass from our main office and she got us a good price to stay there. After reading reviews I said Premier it is 10 mins down the road. We had the last laugh when others on the course had to swap rooms or had no water in the showers. The reviews were spot on. ( It's was where Crossroads was film - say's it all).

I've had problems while on the river but it gets sorted - is it worth blowing it up if you get good service normally?

A hotel (b&b ) in blackpool has just charged a bloke £100 for leaving a bad review as it was in their small print....

If you leave a bad review we will charge up to £100 on the card you booked with.....

He eventually got his money back after the publicity and the b&b has said they will change how they operate....

All I can say is if I have a bad experience and leave a bad review, and then get my card debited by £100, I would not go to the papers/press to complain.....

I sometimes read reviews of places I have visited and think, what do some people expect, and have read great reviews about places, gone to them and thought... some of the great reviewers must have been on drugs...

:Stinky

I look at reviews and admit to being reluctant to leave mine if the experience is less than good. It really is too easy to lambast a business for what may have been a one-off poor occurrence. Another problem can be malicious postings, very damaging, potentially.

I do think the first place to complain is the manager's desk, then, maybe, just maybe, post a review.

• Like 2

On a personal note, it is getting increasingly uncommon but there have been times where things have gone wrong when I have been on a boat. 

In such circumstances I try my best to help the boatyard to help me. I moor at an easily accessible place, call early in the day or arrange that a visit could be made the following day at their convenience.  Yet I have been told some horrible stories by Engineers on how some people have reacted be it on the phone or what their demands have been in what they consider an ‘emergency’ when it is nothing more than a minor inconvenience that can wait.

I often will mention that such and such had happened like when the shower pump stopped and fridge died when in Beccles on Royale, but praised the staff for putting it right taking a great deal of time to sort what at first seemed a simple fix.

However imagine if I had been dealt with poorly on the phone and told it should wait until the following day and then called and was told someone would be out who did not turn up and I had to then enquire where are they and then be told they had no record of me reporting a problem, but promising me they would be there later only to find that they did not turn up (it is what I call ‘waiting in for a parcel syndrome’).  Then I would share this just as much as the praise.

So far I’ve never had anything but good things with boatyards, pubs hmm well I still think it is a shame the Malsters doesn’t have decent condiments to go with their nice food and a shame the onion rings at the Ship in Reedham are not as nice as The Ferry Inn in Horning or Bridge Inn at Acle.

What I would really like somewhere in Broadland is not a Starbucks to open on the river front but something independent in the same vein, a place with comfy seats, WiFi, good fresh ground coffees and muffins where you can watch boats and river life and relax with a good coffee that is not in a café or pub sort of environment.

What I would really like somewhere in Broadland is not a Starbucks to open on the river front but something independent in the same vein, a place with comfy seats, WiFi, good fresh ground coffees and muffins where you can watch boats and river life and relax with a good coffee that is not in a café or pub sort of environment.

Hi Robin,

Get yourself a financial backer, find the land and open the business you are suggesting! Job done. :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Ain't much hot water in these parts, Robin. 

Trip advisor can be a weapon with which to hit a company that you have a gripe with. The problem with TA is that anyone can write anything and the business that is being spoken of has virtually no power to get things removed or changed.

I am aware of people using TA as an inducement for discounts (aka blackmail) and retaliation. TA policy and procedure is hardly geared towards allowing malevolent comment being removed.

Also, TA is unavailable directly to businesses like boat hire. Such a category just doesn't figure and so everything broads boating is lumped into the Norfolk Broads category which is such a wide umbrella covering so many firms and without any having the ability to comment. 

Not at all simple, Dave.

Being able to demonstrate that someone hadn't been somewhere in order to post a bad review is one thing, but what if the review isn't of that nature? What if the reviewer, who was clearly a customer, over-embellishes their experience (lies) as some form of retribution?  There is no way that you as another TA user can deal with this; you weren't there. You can't possibly comment but you can take notice. 

For all of the benefits that TA has, there are many, many flaws which hugely devalue this resource. 

• Like 1

I would like to take up the point made earlier in this thread about the Barnes Brinkcraft Trip Advisor reviews and comments on Facebook.

We, Barnes Brinkcraft reply to all comments left on Trip Advisor, good or bad.  I'm not sure why Robin can't see our comments but they are there.  Our reputation is very important to us, which is why we take the time to read and respond to all feedback good or bad.  It is just unfortunate that some people use TA to air their grievances rather than try to resolve any problems with us directly.

With regard to Facebook, I do recall the post that is referred to.  That particular customer was already in direct contact with the office and I did feel that to continue that conversation in two places - one being a public platform was not helpful or professional.

We are only human, and we accept that we cannot please all of the people all of the time however hard we try!   :)

• Like 4

First of all BarnesB, Welcome to the forum. I hope you become a regular poster here, and it's good to read your side of the tale. For my mind, what you describe illustrates perfectly the weaknesses of on-line reviews. I have always been of the opinion that only positive reviews should be accepted on line, the implication would be that "big company, low number of reviews" says more than published comments that can be somewhat exaggerated.

Just my take on it, and I know that many disagree, anyway, good luck and I say again, Welcome.

• Like 2

A few years back Carol and I ate at a well known, and highly regarded waterside establishment, both of us had the same meal and whilst I thought it was nice, it wasn't Carols favourite and she left most of it.

The waitress asked if everything was ok. and Carol explained it was fine but just not to her taste, when paying the bill the price of Carols meal had been deducted and even though we tried to explain there was no problem and didn't expect not to pay they insisted.

What I'm trying to say in my long winded way, is all companies will get things wrong (or not in our case), what separates a good business from a bad business is how they treat you when things do go wrong. 

• Like 5

My husband runs his own business and lives by the rule that we are all human and can make mistakes, how you recover from them can be the difference between a lost customer or a very satisfied one.

As Martin said above it's how you are treated when things go wrong, I bet Martin and Carol would have no problem visiting the place again.

As for reviews of any kind people can and do lie on them, a friend who runs a local restaurant had to ask someone to leave as they were drunk and abusive that person then wrote a review of how bad the place was. I don't trust this type of thing to be honest, just my opinion.

A very warm welcome aboard from me BarnsB  :wave

Grace

• Like 1