A11 has opened today with the dual carriageway at Thetford

SweetKingfisher1

Look East news today announced the opening of the A11 duel carriageway at Thetford  :clap  :clap  :clap . So for those of you who use it, no more stop go and a quicker journey up to Norfolk  :clap  :clap .

I will stay with my old route M25, A12 to Ipswich and then up to the A140 to Norwich. It's still a quicker way for me to get up to Norfolk or Suffolk  :clap .

Regards

Marina    :Stinky

As someone said on another forum, if a significant number switch from the A12/A140 and the A14/Bury routes then Fiveways and the Thetford roundabouts will become the new bottlenecks. In other words the problem of the old lights will be moved to either end of the new stretch.

• Like 1

I did it last night about 18:30 going south. Flying. What a change.

I agree though when it gets busy the fiveways junction is going to be a pain.

And southbound as you approach the roundabout a lot of people are still getting caught out as the outside lane is NOT for A11 traffic.

And the roundabout is still too tight when you have a truck going round it.

Still it is a huge improvement. Thank you Mr highways man.

So, from the Dartford crossing what's the quickest/best way?

I know the A11 way is probably slightly longer but is it now probably more reliable?

Previously we have always done A12/A140 but in school holidays lorries and caravans can really slow down the A140 and earlier this year the road was totally closed at Long Stratton due to an accident-I have never seen so many cars going down one way tracks following their Sat Navs. It was an absolute nightmare as everyone going the other way was trying to do likewise!

So, from the Dartford crossing what's the quickest/best way?

I know the A11 way is probably slightly longer but is it now probably more reliable?

Previously we have always done A12/A140 but in school holidays lorries and caravans can really slow down the A140 and earlier this year the road was totally closed at Long Stratton due to an accident-I have never seen so many cars going down one way tracks following their Sat Navs. It was an absolute nightmare as everyone going the other way was trying to do likewise!

Lorries will slow down the A140, due to their 40mph speed limit. This is due to change however to 50mph "with implementation scheduled for early 2015." https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/national-speed-limits-for-heavy-goods-vehicles

Caravans have always been limited to 50 mph on single carriageways like the A140, and since that is the limit for ALL vehicles (other than HGVs) on most of that road, caravans will not cause a problem :)

I think the comments regarding the 5 wentways junction is very valid, though it`s always been there and been the end of the Norwich bound dual carraigeway, so i don`t think it will be a lot worse than has laready been. Time will always tell as they say?.

One thing i do think they should have done, and that is instead of having installed a number of roundabouts in the new stretch, it would have been just as easy to make the A11 continuous, with junctions served with flyovers. I would imagine though that it would have increased the overall cost of the project, so they opted for the cheaper option. Very short sighted in my mind, as i honestly think in 5-10 years, there`ll be more major restructuring, with flyover junctions being built to ease traffic flow.

They did a similar thing down here, with a total c0ck-up of the A31 Ferndown by-pass. The roundabout at the end was replaced with another roundabout, plus a dual carraigeway "drive through" affair, which has made things ten times worse. But then the whole of the south coast is way way overdue for a continuous motorway or motorway standard dual carraigeway, but politics always gets in the way.

Lorries will slow down the A140, due to their 40mph speed limit. This is due to change however to 50mph "with implementation scheduled for early 2015." https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/national-speed-limits-for-heavy-goods-vehicles

Caravans have always been limited to 50 mph on single carriageways like the A140, and since that is the limit for ALL vehicles (other than HGVs) on most of that road, caravans will not cause a problem :)

Hi Poppy,

If they have the white boards with a black diagonal (national max speed limit for that class of road) any single carraigeway road has a 60 mph max limit, with individual class limits applying, eg caravans trucks etc, so cars etc can do 60 legally. It may not nessecaruily be what is prudent, but that will always be down to the individual.

Hi Speedtriple. The WHOLE of the Suffolk stretch of the A140 is subject to a 50mph limit - except where it passes through villages - when a 30 MPH or in a couple, 40mph limit applies.

Once you reach 'civilisation' (the Norfolk border ;) ) yes, generally there is a 60 mph limit - but evemn then there ars some bits where 50 applies, and of course there's Long Stratton.....

• Like 1

This rather reminds me of my mother, and thew time I had to explain to Alan Royall that she believed that 30mph was the correct speed where ever you were. Duel carriage way, Motorway or single carriageway. Through towns villages or countryside, it was always 30mph.

It didn't even matter if you were in a car or a boat, it was still always 30mph.

We ALLWAYS go the M11 /A11 whether we`re coming from home here in Dorset, or from Family in North Kent (Gravesend) as the A12 / 14 ./ A140 always seems so long, though it`s usually quicker than the A12 / A145 / A146, which always used to be my preferred route (up untill last year). Now however, the extra 10 minutes round the M25 to the M11 makes the journey a lot quicker, especially as Brundall is as t the end of the A47 Norwich bypass.

Originally, we would come all the way up the A12 to Blythburgh, then A145 to Beccles and stop at the Yacht atation and walk up and down the quay. It was my way of unwinding, which you could feel yourself doing as soon as you get out of the car.

Then it was a 15 minute drive to Loddon and Rosie Leas. Lunch, then round to Maffett Cruisers, where i was totally unwound and relaxed.

It makes me feel good just thinking and writing about it.

• Like 1

Apart from the fact they will be slower to get 50mph, probably brake earlier for roundabouts etc and are unable/unlikely to overtake slower vehicles such as tractors, combines and lorries etc.......

Have to say, though, that 1h 45 from M25 to Harford isn't bad at all.

I'll be keeping an eye on the clock on my next A11/M11 journey!

For us A11/M11 the journey is never ending and you never seem to know where you are, but please check timing for me on your next journey  :roll: .

We hope to be taking a drive up on Sat 27th Dec, just to check our girl over, as poor Alan had his car problems :River Police , so he never got to Brundall.

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

Went through south to north Saturday at 05.00hrs. ... nice and clear and did notice a few hidey holes for the speed enforcement mob or the local rozzers to pick you off before you know it.

Normally Wanstead to Horning 1 hour 50 minutes....Saturday morning 1 hour 45 minutes.... but it was silly o'clock in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...