Brussel sprouts- wrong or right?

Baitrunner

So we all hate them. Or do we?

I have to say I was never a lover of them until I tried them off the stalk. So much better than the supermarket packets.

So here's the question. Would you bbq them?

Well just tried it. Pork belly, sweet potatoes, veggie skewers and as a twist sprout skewers all on the bbq.

The jury is still out on this. They are ok, but maybe not the best way to prep them.

So would you give it a go?

Unlike Marina i am not a fan of sprouts however there are other ways to try.Finely slice add sliced red or spring onions cook with a little oil in a hot pan until lightly brown.

An old idea blanch in boiling salted water refresh after about 2mins,in cold or iced water drain off well.Fry in a hot pan with a small knob of butter,what is nice for Chrismas is to add pre cooked chestnuts,many supermarkets stock pricked chestnuts,if you prefer to do your own,cross the nuts and place in a hot oven, and cooked until the outer shell starts to peel off.roughly chop and add to the sprouts.

or you can use in stir frys.

Ian

• Like 1

You boys perhaps next year I will give you some cooking lessons.Bbq chestnuts easy,get yourself a tin from the pound shop,cross your nuts(chestnuts that is).Place in the tin and cook as I said before.It will work.

Iain what can I say for me veggie wise what works  for me best is peas,spinach,still if frozen sprouts float your boat thats ok,still try me idea with chestnuts or diced smoked bacon will improve the taste.

Ian

My favourite method of cooking sprouts is a quick blanche, little bit of bicarb added to the water, at the same time I have another pan of water and bicarb boiling some chestnuts. Once cooked peel the chestnuts and add them to a frying pan with the sprouts and quite a bit of butter, ground sea salt and black pepper (I sometimes add a few ground chilli flakes for some kick). A quick flash fry so that the sprouts are tender but not soggy, then into the serving dish with the butter residue poured over the top and a few drops of white wine vinegar.

• Like 1

Yesterday was the trip to the farm shop, 4 stalks of sprouts £2, 3 cabbages (assorted) £1, and 5 cauliflowers £4.50, thats roast for today, and christmas dinner sorted (with maybe a cauli cheese between).

Sprouts, traditional, cut the cross and boil until slightly less than bullet hard.

Grendel

• Like 2

THE PERFECT RECIPE FOR BRUSSELL SPROUTS

PUT A NICE PIECE OF STEAK ON THE GRIDDLE

WASH CLEAN AND PREPARE THE BRUSSELLS SPROUTS

PUT IN SAUCEPAN WITH SALTED WATER

BOIL FOR EXACTLY FIVE MINUTES, TAKE OFF HEAT

STRAIN OFF SURPLUS WATER

THROW THE LOT IN THE BIN

AND THEN EAT THE STEAK

• Like 7