Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

When we purchased Pipedreams , the previous owner had a chart of all the measurements .

Everything left up 

Everything up except mast down

Mast down , roof fully retracted , Ensign mast removed 

Everything  down including front screens 

very useful you would think , would have been except we have found all the measurements to allow an extra 2” , whereas I would rather know the actual heights (which I now do) .

Also you have to remember on bridges such as Potter and Wroxham ie arched bridges we for example with everything down and tanks full have an air draught of 6ft7” but we need 6”10 realistically to pass Wroxham , and even then it’s tight 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

When we purchased Pipedreams , the previous owner had a chart of all the measurements .

Everything left up 

very useful you would think , would have been except we have found all the measurements to allow an extra 2” , whereas I would rather know the actual heights (which I now do) .

Also you have to remember on bridges such as Potter and Wroxham ie arched bridges we for example with everything down and tanks full have an air draught of 6ft7” but we need 6”10 realistically to pass Wroxham , and even then it’s tight 

Admirable, absolutely admirable.

I have been on so many boats, hire and private. I have also been responsible for safe passage.

I cannot ever remember having seen such a comprehensive detail, so important, imperative to safe navigation as you have demonstrated. 

Andrew

the brass plaque on the dashboard of Broad Ambition displays the varied options for height (except the mast is now taller)

Correct, which is why an age ago now I took the brass plaque off and replaced it with a polished stainless steel version with the correct mast height so it is spot on

Griff

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Everything left up 

Wouldn't that two inch difference have anything to do with your cocktail cabinet contents :default_biggrin:

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Stopped for Sunday lunch here today, Hele had the Pork which was excellent I had the beef which was very chewy, no problem they changed it for half a chicken which was very good, a free coffee and a deduction on the bill. Sometimes things are not right but it’s how the staff deal with it that counts.  Well done to the Lion. 

A432E25A-5B4C-4A9A-A641-466E4049A18C.jpeg

Something similar happened with us at the White Horse Neatishead

One of our company had a Flatbread which was very hard. He just mentioned it when the waitress took away his plate and although he was insistent he didn't want anything knocked off the bill she was equally insistent and did so. 

So as you say it's how they deal with it that leaves a lasting impression.

👍 To both places 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PaulN said:

Just seen BA's launch video, she looks like new :default_smile:

What no Forum Flag 🤪

Oh yes I remember now. Blooming postal strike so I did the fastest ever docking of a Bulk Carrier at Tilbury Power Station then got home to find Mrs FF had the car all packed for our journey to Norfolk (not living here then) to arrive just in time for the official Launch Ceremony at John Williams and hand it over. Don't know if you remember but we did have an alternative plan which involved daughter bringing one over from Norwich 

• Like 1

The afore video wasn’t the initial launch for recommissioning in 2007. It was just one of many subsequent out of water experiences (All with open wallet surgery) that one was for a transom river water leak and upgrading the rudder. I’ll have photos and dates on home pc

Griff

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Myself and JT got onboard Saturday at 1630.  I had originally intended to be onboard Friday evening but the job in Fakenham overran somewhat.  Heating on, there was a small amount of surface mould on the soft furnishings in the saloon easily removed with a microfibre cloth and some mould/mildew remover.  I had neglected to treat these areas last time I was onboard late November.  Everywhere else was fine as was the plumbing system, mechanics, electrics etc.  Planar heating fired up first time and did a sterling job.  Immersion heater on.  Visit to Tescos for provisions. Oven on dinner cooking.  After dinner I went for a shower onboard, with a green nylon pad and some flash and spent an age in t shower, my first one since early Monday morning :default_icon_e_surprised: it was great.  Then DVD films and off to bed

Sunday morning 15th our three guests arrived.  We sailed at 0930.  Barton broad was windy and choppy and proper cold of course with spray coming over on to the foc'sle and fwd coach house roof.  We squeezed through Ludham bridge at 7ft9" and onto Malthouse Broad and Ranworth.  Berthed side on for about fifteen minutes then departed back to the wetshed.  Ludham bridge now showing 7ft7" which is the height of our windscreen and canopy so erring on the side of satiety we had to take the lot down to get under, we could possibly have managed not to but what with the height boards not being calibrated better safe than sorry

We saw two bathtub hireboats out which was nice to see and more evidence of dredging spoil on the lower Ant and Bure banks - again nice to see.  We got our guests on the helm to enjoy the experience some were far better at it than others

We were back in the shed for around 1400.  Guests departed.

I have been promising mysen for ages and ages to cut off a particularly troublesome low overhead branch on the public mudpath than leads off to Sutton Broad (I think) but needed some steps and at last I had the very items in t van so finally it is sorted, no more ducking under that one

We cleaned through, switched on the tube heaters, locked up and departed for home about 1545.  With such a short visit I got no tlc completed onboard this trip,  I did put onboard but not hang the freshly laundered and ironed curtains.  We'll hang em back up in t spring.  I need to plan in a proper maintenance weekend some time soon

Griff

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yes!  Onboard for 2130 having deposited Purdey dog on Broadland Grebe with Neil n Natalie at Womack Water through to tomorrow evening. I have a tiling job to attend to tomorrow in Suffolk all day. I’ll hopefully sail to collect her if I’m back in time, otherwise it’ll be a Friday morning sail, back to wetshed Sunday. No river ice forecast 

Griff

• Like 4

That’s Purdeys loan draft to Broadland Grebe completed now back onboard ‘B.A’ and so am I as of 1830. Heating on, scran on. Suffolk tiling job completed, visited a NBN member in Norwich to collect two rare enamel boat yard badges. Shower, tv and relax

In t morning an estimate to carry out for tiling a boats galley bulkheads, then at last we sail

Finally 

Griff

• Like 2