Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

MrsG suggested otherwise and that any wasp free wild berth will do

Where have the wasps gone? They have certainly abandoned Milton Keynes (MK). I spent quite an some time on our allotment today, picking up windfall apples from the trees we inherited with the plot. I’ve not kept up with this recently, so a lot of the apples were very rotten, and there wasn’t a wasp in sight! 

We got on a wild berth on the Ant at ‘Tree Corner’   Two other craft there but we got on at the end albeit with three quarters of ‘B.A’ next to reeds 

The fishing here is particularly good from experience. It didn’t disappoint last night and it producing nicely this morning

The sun has arisen, it’s calm and warm - perfect 

Griff

E4451127-8313-440D-B50F-5B5FD29A4C6E.jpeg

• Like 4

Btw - A ‘Honeymoon’ berth is anywhere a couple can behave overnight as newly weds. Preferably not in the vicinity of other craft otherwise you need the age old sign on your craft:-

‘If the boats a rockin - don’t come knockin’

Sadly we have not been on a honeymoon berth for quite some time 

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Here at ‘Griffs Corner’ I have to inform this morning there is a lot of blue/green algae in evidence

I had to take Moonlight Shadow to Stalham on the Thursday before the Bank Holiday weekend.  I departed Horning at 06:30 and didn't pass another boat until I arrived on Barton Broad.  With the River Ant seemingly undisturbed by other craft, blue/green algae was very much in evidence from about two hundred yards north of Ludham Bridge all the way to Barton Broad.

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Ha! Another forumite struck with the curse of the Watford! How many of us have been caught out by that one now? Join the club! 

It is almost as bad as that London staithe at the end of the River Chet :default_biggrin:

That's absolutely not on grif re the ferry inn. I understand your concerns with youngsters aboard, climbing across boats in poor light etc. I wouldn't want my grandchildren doing it. That said I do accept at popular riverside moorings double berthed mooring is the norm. I'm shocked the new Inn are charging so much as well,with no discounts offered if you eat in the pub. Horning is looking like somwhere to avoid, such a shame. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyg said:

That's absolutely not on grif re the ferry inn. I understand your concerns with youngsters aboard, climbing across boats in poor light etc. I wouldn't want my grandchildren doing it. That said I do accept at popular riverside moorings double berthed mooring is the norm. I'm shocked the new Inn are charging so much as well,with no discounts offered if you eat in the pub. Horning is looking like somwhere to avoid, such a shame. 

Horning has been somewhere to avoid for a very long time.

In fact it has been a no no except for the moorings on the green as long as I have been on the Broads. And even then there was no where I ever wanted to go.

Did used to like The Staithe and Willow but recently it has been poor. Closing at 3 pm on a bright sunny weekday. 

Such a shame for such a pretty village.

• Like 1

Ferry marina is a lovely spot, unfortunately they have put a locked gate up on the footpath. Obviously the new owners doing so you now have to walk thro the marina. I personally like sitting outside the Ferry it's a fantastic location if you just want to sit have a beer and watch the world go by. The new Inn was my go to pub for food, never had a bad meal in there. I'm not a fan of the Swan. 

• Like 2

On 04/09/2022 at 08:01, BroadAmbition said:

Btw - A ‘Honeymoon’ berth is anywhere a couple can behave overnight as newly weds. Preferably not in the vicinity of other craft otherwise you need the age old sign on your craft:-

‘If the boats a rockin - don’t come knockin’

Sadly we have not been on a honeymoon berth for quite some time 

Griff

We spent most of our honeymoon on Gays Staithe- just us and a tawny owl in the tree above us, mind you, it was the last week in November!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Horning has been somewhere to avoid for a very long time.

In fact it has been a no no except for the moorings on the green as long as I have been on the Broads. And even then there was no where I ever wanted to go.

Did used to like The Staithe and Willow but recently it has been poor. Closing at 3 pm on a bright sunny weekday. 

Such a shame for such a pretty village.

Not being a fan of stern on side by side moorings, such as those at The New Inn and having just checked the food hygiene rating at The Ferry Inn, my custom when on the northern rivers, will certainly be elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...