Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Don't normally have a problem with paddle boarders or canoeists.

A friendly word with a bit of banter usually sorts it.

They are a bit obvious of the idea that they leave their boards blocking moorings for us bigger boys but have found that a gentle word usually works and in all fairness are not there all day.

Bewilderwood is a brilliant day out for kids. We revisited with James a couple of weeks ago and he loved it. 
it being horrid hot we took a cab from Wroxham rather than trek over there in the heat.

No dogs btw so that’s your excuse for staying aboard! 😊

• Thanks 1

Well that’s a first. Sixty two years visiting the Broads and to my knowledge that’s the first time I’ve been to the end of navigation at Waxham Cut. There’s a bridge at the end tha I don’t know the name of, we squeezed under it (just) then did a fifty point turn. Back down cut and over to Horsey  Dyke to visit the wind pump. We are now at Dungeons corner for overnight. The fishing was good

Griff

C2B87051-ECCC-4822-899C-E61F302F7905.jpeg

F1F3BC36-414F-4730-BB87-F851665C3255.jpeg

E8688E4F-FBB0-4697-AAB2-E956ADA0B837.jpeg

27FC62FC-E784-494C-8AC8-D69B39163715.jpeg

5161C36E-89B0-4EAA-B688-2BC68903609E.jpeg

28B130A1-24AC-4610-B182-ACBEBFE47CAD.jpeg

6AAE3CF7-D803-47B2-9917-2759843A6ACB.jpeg

3BAEFB79-744D-448B-93F0-316D35892948.jpeg

72BDD8DC-4A10-475B-AE05-0AA77C54E399.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I did it around 30 years ago, in a Hampton Safari. Extremely narrow dyke. Along the way a small open topped boat came in the opposite direction. He didn't slow down so I guessed he's done this many times and wasn't concerned. I nudged into the reeds as far as I could go, still wondering how he would get past me. I watched as the top of his head (still attached) passed in the opposite direction. There can't have been more than an inch of room to spare.

Gosh that’s impressive! Harry and I tried row up there a few years back. No chance, just too narrow. Oars just got tangled up with growth either side. We were also warned off going up there when we hired a day boat from Whispering Reeds, Hickling, a few years ago. 

As Griff managed to very tightly manoeuvre of getting Broad Ambition under Potter Heigham Bridge up to the Waxham Cut to get to his very nice Fishing places as it does not get fished at that end much?  This is where the fish are queueing up for food and so Griff has a whale of a time but are they Big enough to go into the Frying Pan? or was Griff Tiddle. bashing? How much room did Broad Ambition have to spare getting it back through Potter Heigham Bridge this time not much I bet.

We stayed thirty mins by the bridge nestled alongside the reeds admiring the immediate area as no mooring available  fishing was a no go due to amount of tall weeds

After departing Waxham head of navigation, visited Horsey wind pump for the Grandsons then moored overnight at Dungeons corner.

Thursday morning,  visited friends at their recently acquired riverside chalet. Then through PHB at 6ft 6”

I had a double eyebrow moment when a chap in a small launch told us there was only 6ft 4” available as we approached, thank goodness. he was wrong

Stopped for a few hours at Womack Water then onto Fleet Dyke for overnight. I had to move a few moored boats about to allow room for two mobo’s and NINE Hunters yachts to moor together - School trip. Nice to see

Sailed at 0800 this morning to secure a free berthing spot at Ferry Inn for the day. Three adults, three grandsons off to bewildwood leaving me n Purdey onboard 

Griff

• Like 5