Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

I’m berthed up next to Peter Sabberton. Now retired. He used to race on Oulton Broad. His son now runs Sabena  Marine and is on with building a boat to break the world water speed record

Griff

Wow! I remember him racing at Oulton Broad. My Dad told me his boat had an E-Type engine in it. Peter’s dad Pop Sabberton used to give me lift to Royalls boat yard when I was a kid and worked there in my summer holidays.

• Like 2

Sabbertons produced a superb looking launch in the early 60s in glassfibre with a lovely wood planked grained effect coloured deck moulding. I think it was known as the super ski 17 and exhibited at the London boat show, saw a photo somewhere. I saw one only once and have wanted one ever since. In that era or possibly a few years later my dad was trialing similar big and then bigger engine installs in some of the skipjack craft built by his school friend at priory marine craft. Don’t think they went beyond the jag straight 6 as the weight and momentum in swell of the sea skiing off Sheringham probably led to flipping one over and needing the services of the coastguard.

Looks like the BA crew are having a nice time, especially the escapades above PH bridge!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I’m berthed up next to Peter Sabberton. Now retired. He used to race on Oulton Broad. His son now runs Sabena  Marine and is on with building a boat to break the world water speed record

Griff

Ive seen his boat in his wet shed at wroxham,the last i heard he was waiting for 2 jet engines to power it ,He was confident of getting the record, his major concern was stopping the boat at the end  of its run!!:default_trophy:               Kevin

If you are still berthed next to Pete this morning, please give him my kindest regards.  We are very old friends.

He did indeed race and sell speedboats with an E-Type engine but his later racing boat had a Holman Moody Galaxy V8, with exhausts that stuck out about  3 ft over the stern.  It wasn't so much the speed he achieved - one of the fastest mono-hulls - as the fabulous noise of the engine.

• Like 2

Excellent dog training venue there Griff.
F0BB69B3-9475-4BA7-BDE8-9F63A54ABF27.thumb.jpeg.6a06ce51c12eb5bcae08a5ff1f5f2658.jpeg

I wrote in my holiday diary thingie about the freebie steadiness lesson that Finlay had when a group training session was taking place. 9 labs all waiting their turns beautifully. The swans and ducks take no notice as you send the dog over, must be used to it!

Enjoy the peaceful surroundings once the day’s activities at the mill die down a bit. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed from Gays Staithe Tuesday forenoon in glorious sunshine, just as well as Purdey had been in t oggin and needed drying off. Stopped briefly at Ludham bridge for the shop then off to Salhouse Broad for overnight. Met up with fellow woodies and many friends. We ended up having to put the canopy up for shade. Purdey played with other dogs in the water at the beach. 

A good day had by all

Griff

• Like 5

Today Wednesday 10th. 

Doug (Papaver) was suggesting (Marthering on) that we use his gorgeously restored Lapwing as a stable platform to affix the graphics name to both bows of ‘B.A’. Owt for a quiet life so we got set to. Jobs a gudden 

We sailed in loose company at around midday with Silver Lady, Kingfisher, Papaver and oursens, t’others about six craft sailed earlier. It was proper hot, Purdey needed to dry out - Again

We stopped briefly double berthed at Horning green whilst t’others meandered on

We got alongside Stracey Arms, met up with yet more classics. Bbq on t bank provided by the staff from t shop

We had a lovely afternoon & early evening, there are nearly as many dogs as people. 

The owner of Seraphina as well as being ex RN therefore a proper good egg is also an electrician so he assisted in changing our water gauge (Ok, I admit it, he did the technical stuff and I assisted) 

We now have a functional gauge and no longer have a ‘Wonder Tank’

Early to bed as the flotilla is under sailing orders- due to sail at 0500 in t morning. Sunrise is at 0527 so it will be a magical morning’s cruise then onto the pontoons at OBYs where we meet up with yet more Woodies 

My favourite boaty event and time afloat is here

Griff

A04A1D67-596A-4A35-8F9C-57A09F32BA31.jpeg

7E52435E-0161-4A14-AEE4-BB818125D166.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

0645 at Burgh Castle alongside for breakfast. 

That was awkward 

We departed at 0450 with only three craft not yet departed. 

The river fog transiting to GYA was on and off, some areas it was somewhat thick so navigating by the bank was the answer. By GYA it had cleared. Under t bridges with 8ft on a fast rising tide. 

Breydon - 11:5mph on a flood tide then we hit fog and it was really thick. Our group slowed down and I found myself lead boat. I could not see one post after passing one. Concentration levels to the max

Breakfast here and it has now all but cleared with more of our group arriving mightily relieved 

Griff

• Like 4