Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Arrived at OBYs for 1000. We have both sides of the pontoon reserved for our flotilla. Biggest issue now is keeping cool in this heatwave, canopy went back up shortly after we arrived. Keeping Purdey cool by visiting the slipway every coupling hours. We are due to attend a Garden party soon, ‘B.A’ is duty water taxi to get all the guests over to the venues waterside garden 

Griff

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, andyg said:

A waterside garden party in this weather on Oulton broad sounds absolutely fantastic. Enjoy. 

It was fantastic,cups of tea and cream cakes, two areas of shade with people moving from one to the other as one patch of shade shrunk and the other grew. Conversations  and getting to know new folk.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, grendel said:

It was fantastic,cups of tea and cream cakes, two areas of shade with people moving from one to the other as one patch of shade shrunk and the other grew. Conversations  and getting to know new folk.

Sounds good, glad everyone enjoyed themselves. No to much cake I hope lol..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I had three mugs of proper tea but restricted mysen to the one cake, goodness alone knows how much Purdey had

Now at the Mermaid fish bar collecting our tea 

Griff

We had the fish and chips and very good they were too, my only gripe is they prioritised just eat orders over customers waiting, I waited around 15 minutes and not one collection but boxes galore in the warmer. 

I didn’t have to wait long at all, 3 x fish, 2 x portions of fish, 1 x mushy peas = £30 that’s inflation for you. Oh, and a bottle of plonk for MrsG from the well stocked very handy convenience store recently reopened. 

It’s now 0730, the sun is up and determined to frazzle one and all yet again. We have done the Purdey walk earlier.

Today is C-in-C day up to Beccles.  That means we have to look our best and be on our best behaviour for our Commander in Chief  (Dave aka JA) with craft dressed overall full dressing rigs the order of the day

I have arranged for a chap this forenoon to take some drone photos of the group

We have Londonrascal due onboard this morning - good he can do some helming. To be fair MrsG has done some time on the helm this outing which has been very welcome. She still won’t attempt any berthing evolutions though

Beccles here we come

Griff

• Like 7

So, there we were pushing along in t dark, the tide turned against us so adjusted rpm’s to suit. I made a command decision to berth up in Oulton Dyke. Then I got a msg there was room at Somerleyton. I  ummed and arrd. We would go for Somerleyton, that was a fifty fifty call. It would mean passing under the rail bridge in the dark but seeing as the tide had only recently turned onto the flood only the mast would need to come down. 

Two young girls were so lucky I made that call :default_huh:

Griff

We passed WRC then Oulton Dyke. Port bank (on my Stbd side) I noticed a white light being waved. Fisherman I thought so moved to port to give a wide berth. Then the light was waved frantically. Something not right here. Came to a stop, Stbd door open, deck lights on - two girls sitting astride two paddle boards - Really?

’Help we’re lost’

Chuffin brilliant.

Interior lights on, night vision gone. Mob ladder deployed.  Pair of em onboard cold n wet. MrsG drying em off, kettle on whilst I wrestle the boards onto aft coach house roof

Griff

• Like 4

They had massively got their timings wrong. They were trying to make it back to OBYs having visited WRC. Missed Oulton Dyke turn off in the dark

Not a chance I was about turning to OBYs at that time, besides my concentration levels were way up. 

‘You have two options ladies’.

Stop onboard (Fwd V berths) overnight at Somerleyton then in t morning I’ll take you to OBYs or get someone to drive to the Dukes Head this evening. 

They arranged option two  

Then spent the rest of the cruise fussing over Purdey - Who doesn’t?

Through rail bridge only mast to be lowered, safely alongside at 2215

Walk up to pub to meet a partner  deflate boards and off they went by 2315

They tried to pay me for rescuing them!  Doesn’t work like that in my book. I was glad to be of assistance as one day it might be me that needs help

Griff

AE86F8B8-DE2E-4A1A-807E-76F540918400.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1