Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

What an astounding story!

I hope this doesn't get as far as the newspapers, or there will be a "hue and cry".  You can't get out of the water up those clay banks on the Waveney unless it is high tide.  There was a canoe-ist who nearly drowned near the WRC a few years ago, until one of the staff spotted him, clinging to the reeds.

But maybe there should be a hue and cry?  It's tempting to say they were bats, but they just didn't know any better. They have no idea of the dangers, and a river like the Waveney is just not safe for these sort of "watersports".  Did they hire these boards, by the way?

Anyway, this story ended happily and well done Griff! 

The right man, in the right place, at the right time!     :default_icon_clap:

• Like 9

The boards weren’t rented. They had never ventured this far out before. Hopefully won’t do again so late in the day. Apparently a berthed boat in the Dyke told them it was only twenty to WRC. Clown - twenty mins in a mobo maybe. Certainly not on a board

Griff

• Like 1

So, we had caught up Water Rail on Breydon. Coming t’other way we’re lots of boats as there should be with the tide. We were now punching the tide and had dropped from 8mph to 5mph

One particular HC coming south- wasn’t, it was drifting. 
Now what?

I stopped close quarters  Their  engine was over heating so the skipper had wisely shut it down 

Sigh, ready oursens for a side tow to Goodchilds  but first give it a chance to cool  they were able to restart and proceed at tick over with tide at under 90C  Good  I advised them accordingly

Now to catch Water Rail again which we did and accompany her to GYA yacht station where he stopped  We are heading for PHB but will stop for Purdey somewhere  

My entertainment officer is currently preparing a late Breakfast  

The rivers have a fair amount of boats cruising. It is warm but now pleasantly so which is a relief 

Griff

• Like 5

Griff is certainly the man of the with his adventure and thankfully the Two Girls are now back on Dry Land safe and sound and helping a Boater out on your travels going towards Great Yarmouth. I hope it was a success at the wooden Boating Show this year who won the Best Wooden Boat this year? I wish you and Mrs G plus Purdey a carefree time cruising back on the other side of the Broads :default_stinky:

Andrew - the Woody Boat Show was another huge success. Over £1k raised for the chosen charity. 

There is no ‘Best Boat’ award, never has been.
There is however a ‘Boat you would most like to take home with you’

That went to Papaver which was a foregone conclusion imho

Griff

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Andrew - the Woody Boat Show was another huge success. Over £1k raised for the chosen charity. 

There is no ‘Best Boat’ award, never has been.
There is however a ‘Boat you would most like to take home with you’

That went to Papaver which was a foregone conclusion imho

Griff

And a well deserved award for Papaver too, although Griff certainly deserves an award for the person you are best to meet when in a pickle !

• Like 2

Griff's tale reminded me of an incident some time ago on the river Cam. Together with some friends who were in a 31' Sea Otter narrow boat, we were in a Sheerline 950 aft cockpit we were  heading up the Cam at dusk  intending to moor at Fidwell Fen,  having had dinner at the Old Bridge at Clayhithe where you are not allowed to moor overnight, when we came across a cow that had fallen in the water and was obviously in some distress and unable to get out. Using both vessels and boat hooks as a cattle prod we coaxed it along for quite some distance until we reached an area of bank it could negotiate an exit from.  I'm pretty sure if we hadn't happened along it may well have drowned.

Carole

• Like 5

We never made PHB due to high LW airdraft. Stopped at Acle Bridge, had a catch up with Phil. Then onto Womack water for overnight. Had our first pub dinner accompanied by Grendel. 

Tuesday lunchtime sailed for Ranworth  staithe after faffing about getting a poorly berthed dinghy and day boat moved we were in near to the taxi rank. Both boats should have been in the dinghy Dyke in the first place. 

I asked the Ba information chap to move two other boats up to allow a waiting craft to berth. He said they can wait, turned his back and was gone - terrible attitude

So, I quickly got set to and moved them up allowing the patiently waiting skipper in. 

All crews on the staithe were very friendly. Lots of pedestrians visiting too, Purdey having a great time. One particular couple had a young male GR, the GR’s lady owner being proper attractive with legs that went on for ever and a far too short belt (Skirt) made a huge fuss of Purdey on the grass with her.

A pleasant afternoon / evening. Pizza from the pub garden and even a spot of fishing

Lights out by 2200

Griff

• Like 1

I intend sailing early this morning but will wait till 0800 so as to not disturb slumbering neighbours. We have not done a wild berth this trip so the Ant beckons with any one of three in mind for the day and overnight. That’ll set us up for tomorrow, Sutton yard pump out n diesel followed by a few issues to attend to in t wetshed before the drive home

Griff

Here at Ludham Bridge Port bank.

Rant time - On my way to the stores I collected one burst fender, two plastic bottles and paper litter. Deposited in t bins. Battled through nettles / brambles & weeds on path going up to the bridge. Went back with secateurs, half an hour, numerous nettle stings on calf’s, path cleared

Two large HC berthed alongside completely taking up clearly marked yacht demasting area. Can’t they read? Me Me Me mentality to the fore once more 

Rant over. Sailing in five to a suitable wild mooring. Broken cloud and warm  - Bliss

Griff

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Here at Ludham Bridge Port bank.

Rant time - On my way to the stores I collected one burst fender, two plastic bottles and paper litter. Deposited in t bins. Battled through nettles / brambles & weeds on path going up to the bridge. Went back with secateurs, half an hour, numerous nettle stings on calf’s, path cleared

Two large HC berthed alongside completely taking up clearly marked yacht demasting area. Can’t they read? Me Me Me mentality to the fore once more 

Rant over. Sailing in five to a suitable wild mooring. Broken cloud and warm  - Bliss

Griff

Forgive me Griff, but it would appear you are leaving one wild mooring, for another. :default_rofl:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

The one that yours refered to has been editted so I guess your post was deemed pointless, but it was funny.

Warning: Last time I asked the same Q I was given a short forum holiday!

In that case there seems to be very selective moderation depending on who has posted. Thanks for the explaination though, and apologies BroadAmbition for making a joke to your post, I hope no offence was caused :default_smile:

Yes, it is usual to edit responses to posts that are edited and quote the section edited, since removing all of that would leave your post rather pointless, this it was left hidden, please folks try and remember that kids can access the forum so posts should be family friendly. We do try to contact a poster when this happens, but at the moment I am travelling the broads and don't have full admin access on my tablet.

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

Yes, it is usual to edit responses to posts that are edited and quote the section edited, since removing all of that would leave your post rather pointless, this it was left hidden, please folks try and remember that kids can access the forum so posts should be family friendly. We do try to contact a poster when this happens, but at the moment I am travelling the broads and don't have full admin access on my tablet.

Ah, I see now what has happened and that now makes much more sense

Thanks for the explaination :default_smile: