Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Onboard- yes at 0130 but  not underway. On my Todd staying in t Wetshed until Friday afternoon. Working on a clients boat this week. MrsG due to arrive late Thursday so we can attend Andrews funeral on Friday then drive home. Not even got Purdey with me :default_sad:

Griff

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting drive down yesterday - more on that later

Onboard yesterday at 1630. In t Swan  Stalham high street for the evening.

Rainbow cafe this morning for B’fast

Remainder of crew joined today.

This is our annual HMS Glasgow comms Elwe afloat. Sailed for Ranworth staithe arrived at 1500. Weather - warm and Sunny 

Griff

• Like 5

So, yesterday seeing as I didn’t intend to take a lot of gear down to ‘B.A’ and there was just me n Purdey, the Wx forecast said it was to be dry and mild I therefore decided to go in the Z3 with the top down. This would be its first long run out since I gained ownership. 

We stopped at Sleaford services. Setting off within five minutes I realised I could eyeball my phone. I pulled off t road into a field entrance. On stopping it was then I heard a rattle from under bonnet, upon investigation the elec rad fan was catching on bottom pulley, three of the four mounting straps had failed. Nightmare, turn engine off pdq. 

The fan assembly needed securing otherwise my journey would be over but with what?  Boots or boot laces to be precise, that would have t do

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I couldn’t ring for breakdown assistance as my phone was still absent without leave. Then my second stroke of luck - there on the ground was a mucky large nylon tie wrap. I almost couldn’t believe my lookouts.  It did the job perfectly, it was a bodge but a gudden all the same. 

Fired up the beast, and off back to the services. The counter staff had my phone, it had been handed in. 

Our journey recommenced. The Z3 in this wx is a joy with a rasping soundtrack and awesome handling, so awesome that it got me out of a potential collision on one of the NDR’s roundabouts when an idiot lane  changed without using mirrors forcing me to ‘Go round again’

The in car Mpg readout was stating 25mpg, hopefully this incorrect but I was enjoying that straight six, I’ll know for sure when I fill up again and employ some basic maths

Alls well that ends well

Griff

E4CAA5FD-501F-4CD4-891C-69108227975E.jpeg

• Like 6

We spent Thursday evening up at t swan Stalham High street then carry out food back onboard, the Swan was fully booked for meals

Friday forenoon, moved into Richo’s basin, our last two crew members arrived at lunchtime. We sailed for Ranworth arriving at 1500. (Refused to pay the mooring fee). Dinner onboard then into Maltsters for the evening

i tried to assist Westminster Bridge to moor with voice instructions - no chance. The Lady assistant mooring person was shouting instructions to them which imho were incorrect. I gave up, got their bow close enough for me to hop onboard and then did it for them. I then spent half an hour onboard with the skipper and crew giving advice, they were grateful, today was their first day out. Then later had to rope in two hunters yachts. Nice to see them. The Wx was perfect, lots of happy faces

Griff

• Like 5

Saturday morning we all had breakfast in the Granary, I can report it was first class in both quality, quantity, service and price

1055 we sailed in company with Broadland Grebe, dressed overall, wx again was perfect. The NBN flotilla was adrift, the lot of em, we encountered them in Ranworth dam. They all came about in an orderly fashion, formation one was achieved and on we went to Salhouse

on arrival we kept clear whilst they moored then moored up for ten mins to drop off Bikertov and allow Purdey a comfort break, the crafty girl went straight in the broad, one wet dog onboard then. 

We sailed for Wroxham, struck dressing flags whilst underway,  through bridge at 6ft9”. Berthed up for a couple of hours 

Sailed for Coltishall common. Went into Rising Sun for dinner, which was very good,  had a minor altercation with a muscle bound idiot on t green from a crew member directly astern. Whilst we were in pub, he had managed to get himsen arrested and carted off by the bobbys - Good

Back onboard (boat astern crew profusely apologising - Thanks) dvd and lights out

Griff

• Like 3

My helmsman got in a tangle with a flotilla of yachts racing at Horning. I took over  the helm and came to a stop. One yacht just kept on coming. Took no avoiding action, kept the boom out which swept over our fwd and aft coach house roofs (Thank goodness our screens were down) then dropped down into well deck and snapped our ensign staff clean off.

What was really annoying, the two occupants of their safety boat claimed they saw nothing. So what were they doing on the water and where were they looking then? There were no other yachts they could see other the gaggle we were amongst. 

I stopped at the sailing club to report the incident and also reported it to Broads control. Entry made in the log, fortunately we have witnesses. I informed them they will be getting an invoice for a new staff, Labour and varnish in for the same in due course 

Now at Potter Heigham for a pair of hours

Griff

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Now at Ludham Bridge for overnight. Dinner in t Dog Inn tonight 

Griff

image.jpg

You've really been getting around today  ...

Having seen you in Horning just after your little incident (and saying hello to some of your crew) I then spotted you just by Potter Higham !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

he’s agreed to pay half

I wouldn't have been happy with that, they caused the damage they should pay the lot, racing is not an excuse for expecting mobo's to do impossible manoeuvres and ignoring the duty to avoid collisions.

• Like 2