Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Four of us and Purdey arrived onboard Thursday late afternoon. Sailed at 1800. Overnight at ‘Griffs Corner’’ on the Ant. Friday forenoon did a tad of tidying up the bank then sailed for Potter Heigham.  Visited Latharms then spent an hour or so in pub garden - very pleasant

Then it was off to Ranworth Staithe for overnight. Dinner onboard, never visited the pub. 

Saturday morning breakfast at the Grannery then  Lads off up Ranworth Church

Sailed for Wroxham through bridge with only 6ft3” on t gauge. Berthed outside Kings Head for a couple of hours

Sailed mid afternoon for Coltishall lock. A lot of canoes, paddle boarders and wild swimmers, the swimmers were awkward to spot at times  the wx has been marvellous so far  had dinner in t Recruiting Sargent - excellent 

Sunday morning a spot of fishing just now prior to heading back to Wroxham

Griff

A09F1865-578F-42B5-9845-370FB93DBB9C.jpeg

• Like 14

Sunday forenoon, arrived at Wroxham, Berthed on the Ba moorings this time.

The lads went off to Aylsham via the steam railway, I stayed onboard, had a clean through and did some fishing, the rain curtailed that 

The bridge height board (up river side) stated 6ft2”. It was so tight that we missed the bridge (just) but brushed a couple of dangling height markers, the down river board stated 6ft. This then is ‘B.A’s limit unless we were to remove the mast and canopy, that would gain another couple of Inch

We cruised to Salhouse Broad for overnight. A call to JBX-5 advised us to try The Salhouse Lodge Hotel for dinner. I rang through and booked a table for four plus Purdey dog (Dog friendly)   The food and service was excellent. The lady who took the booking said it was a twenty minute walk. Here we go again - Norfolk time and distance - it took us forty minutes each way.

Back onboard, DVD and libations. 

Another great day afloat 

Griff

• Like 7

This morning after a FCE, mini disaster averted. One of my ‘Beginner’ fisherman inadvertently caught a duck. Whilst unhooking said duck another fishing hook (partially disintegrated) was found. Both removed., safely released unharmed. 

Sunny warm morning being enjoyed prior to departing for base

Griff

image.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

This morning after a FCE, mini disaster averted. One of my ‘Beginner’ fisherman inadvertently caught a duck. Whilst unhooking said duck another fishing hook (partially disintegrated) was found. Both removed., safely released unharmed. 

That could have been lunch sorted, along with some pancakes, plum sauce etc :default_rolleyes:

• Haha 6

Monday morning and the rain was due on and off.  Our fresh water tank gauge was showing above the red section - just.  Good enough, well enough to run the w/c, washing up, cleaning through and cups of tea.  Well, it was good enough until one of my crew decided to go for a shower even though he would be home that evening, that left the gauge firmly in t red.  I needed some potable oggin prior to arriving into t wetshed.  Southgates - Hose missing awaiting replacement, next stop was Boulters, went astern up the dyke and into the yard, somewhat restricted on manoeuvring room as per the norm,  Whilst we were there I  decided to fill the diesel up (1:45 per Litre) only needed 21 x Ltrs and had the pump out done too.  This saved us needing to visit Sutton yard and we could head straight for base.  It rained on and off which was a pain as that meant squeegeeing / clothing dry the upper scuppers once in the shed.  Ludham bridge was showing 7ft9" so we could leave the top up as we passed under

Gear stowed, cleaned through, departed for home around 1800.  The Beta is ready for a major service as soon as I can find a free day so that'll be another flying visit down prior to our annual Lads week.  I've brought all five berthing ropes home for a machine wash, MrsG informed me last night I was not to use 'Her' washing machine - Really?  She went to work before me this morning, the ropes are getting a good clean on a long cycle in our washing machine right now

Until the next time then

Griff

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

On 18/09/2023 at 07:20, BroadAmbition said:

Sunday forenoon, arrived at Wroxham, Berthed on the Ba moorings this time.

The lads went off to Aylsham via the steam railway, I stayed onboard, had a clean through and did some fishing, the rain curtailed that 

The bridge height board (up river side) stated 6ft2”. It was so tight that we missed the bridge (just) but brushed a couple of dangling height markers, the down river board stated 6ft. This then is ‘B.A’s limit unless we were to remove the mast and canopy, that would gain another couple of Inch

We cruised to Salhouse Broad for overnight. A call to JBX-5 advised us to try The Salhouse Lodge Hotel for dinner. I rang through and booked a table for four plus Purdey dog (Dog friendly)   The food and service was excellent. The lady who took the booking said it was a twenty minute walk. Here we go again - Norfolk time and distance - it took us forty minutes each way.

Back onboard, DVD and libations. 

Another great day afloat 

Griff

We eat at the Lodge last night,food and service excellent,just as all the Colchester inns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aboattime said:

We eat at the Lodge last night,food and service excellent,just as all the Colchester inns.

I have eaten at the Salhouse lodge 4 times in the last month. Not had a bad meal yet. We were a party of 10 for one of the visits. Excellent food, extensive changing menu and first class service. Back again next week for four days so hopefully another visit.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Griff , we are coming up today , what was Ludham clearance please 

Simon, it was 7’1” on the first board you come to above the bridge at about 9.30 this morning. That was about halfway between low and high tide. 

• Thanks 1

Even though I knew I’d fit perfectly ok, not being able to see the cills was a bit unnerving all the same. They must have been nearly a foot under this morning. 

What if you don’t know they’re there? Would be a bit of a shock.