Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

• 5 weeks later...

Crewed up Friday night 24th Nov after having visited Tesco’s for victuals, myself,Purdey and two girly crew. 

It was cold onboard so the Planar onto full chat, left on overnight at 25%. Stayed in t wetshed 

Saturday 25th. Water levels too high again. After a FCE we sailed for Neatishead. Visited the pub for a mini DTS. Sailed for Ranworth. 7ft at Ludham Bridge, cills underwater, had to take canopy down.  Plenty of room at Ranworth. Arrived at 1545. Pub shut, no sign of life. Sailed for Horning at 1600, Nav lights on. Swan Inn, moorings flooded, Green - no room. New inn - moorings flooded. Ferry about 80ft of quay dry, remainder flooded so managed to get alongside. Pub flooded and shut

Cobbled together a dinner. V short evening walk for Purdey (flooding)

We are warm, safe and dry. 

Everyone (And I mean everyone) I have met since last night is blaming the Blessed Authority for this situation. The silting on the Lower Bure is holding the water back so it can’t ebb out sufficiently before the next incoming tide, therefore every flood tide keeps on pushing up water levels. Business, home owners, boaters all suffering alike. 

We head for Wroxham tomorrow. Will have to moor outside the hotel. Barnes will be full / flooded. Bridge? No chance as I need 6ft 4”

Its not good  I’ll get some photos tomorrow 

Griff

• Like 8

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The silting on the Lower Bure is holding the water back so it can’t ebb out sufficiently before the next incoming tide, therefore every flood tide keeps on pushing up water levels.

And sure enough, we are now back on spring tides again.

• Like 1

That nice new higher piece of quay heading you are moored against originally received objection from the Blessed Authority!! 

They started at the opposite end to where you are moored, raising and renewing the quay heading. They had only managed a short section before they were told to stop. That short section remained for pretty much one season before they have been allowed to continue along to where you are moored.

Quite simply if the pub hadn't managed to overcome the objections of the BA, you'd have had a much less safe and secure mooring last night.

The new higher quat heading is no higher than the quay heading further along at the Ferry Marina hire yard!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The frustrations of trying to deal with the BA planning are very evident in this extract from an email from the architect to the planning department.

The key point to this project is to re-instate the quayheading to a height to match that of Ferry Marina and make the exit and entry to boats moored alongside the area of The Ferry Inn much safer. This has to be the most important consideration for all concerned, in order to reduce the number of incidents of people falling from boats moored along this reduced height area and the resulting injuries incurred. It would be unforgivable if a more serious incident was to arise over such a minor point, that of trying to determine which parts of the 200m run of quayheading need to be raised and to what level. The quayheading identified to The Ferry Inn needs to be re-instated to a height level with neighbouring properties to improve safety. Simple. Let's do it. What is more important than people's safety?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Everyone (And I mean everyone) I have met since last night is blaming the Blessed Authority for this situation. The silting on the Lower Bure is holding the water back so it can’t ebb out sufficiently before the next incoming tide, therefore every flood tide keeps on pushing up water levels. Business, home owners, boaters all suffering alike.

It was very evident that recent storms brought levels up everywhere. Locally, the Great Ouse was extremely high. I also noticed videos online from Rufford Ford up in Notts showing record levels of water.

What's notable now though is that the Great Ouse has come down dramatically and is actually relatively low for this time of year - currently about 2ft below the level where it causes flooding. That does tend to suggest a specific issue such as dredging worsening the situation on the Broads.

Have BA done some or all of the planned dredging work below Yarmouth yacht station now?

35 minutes ago, dom said:

It was very evident that recent storms brought levels up everywhere. Locally, the Great Ouse was extremely high. I also noticed videos online from Rufford Ford up in Notts showing record levels of water.

What's notable now though is that the Great Ouse has come down dramatically and is actually relatively low for this time of year - currently about 2ft below the level where it causes flooding. That does tend to suggest a specific issue such as dredging worsening the situation on the Broads.

Have BA done some or all of the planned dredging work below Yarmouth yacht station now?

I think the difference on the gt Ouse is the levels can be managed better.

At Denver complex there were boats sat on the bottom as the EA dumped a vast amount of water at low tide,and also into the relief channel.

also the washes were flooded at Earith.

this at least ,gave the flood water somewhere to go.

the river has been underSSA for a month so I assume the EA have been attempting to remove excess water at low tides.

• Like 1

This morning I offered a mooring fee to the pub - they declined it

We sailed for and stayed a while at Salhouse Broad. Only us there apart from dog walkers. 

Then onto a berth at Hotel Wroxham. Bridge height was 5ft6” on arrival at 1410. 2245 - nearly 6ft

Had dinner in t hotel, Clare (Bollysnigh) joined us. Food / service was excellent. 

Had to don my wellies to take Purdey for a walk as both sides of hotel flooded

In five mins - lights out

Griff

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Meet 'B.A's newest crew member - Tally

She is a girly G.R and the final piece of the puzzle to complete daughters family.  Besides this was the only way they were ever going to have a new girl in the house

Tally will of course be afloat this year learning from Purdey how it is done

Griff

6e621275-287f-4f34-8d7e-6de2c4d8a477.JPG

8a9c4a33-ea3c-4604-92fa-3952fbe32079.JPG

4264AE8A-6EBA-42E0-8B97-DF4188B8991A.JPG

IMG_3972.jpg

• Like 12
  • Love 8