Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Hire craft out of the channel by 100yds on t mudflats. I tried assisting them using loud hailer. I nearly got them off but they just wouldn’t listen to instructions. Then SOB arrived, totally unsuitable craft - too much draft. Rangers useless, no loud hailer, no having line either! Then they instructed hire craft to deploy mudweight over the BOW!  They should of course put it over the stern so they could ledge off on a rising tide. 

I have to ask mysen if the rangers have actually had any training or common sense? Not having a heaving line or a loud hailer is criminal

I left them to it before I lost it

I have often said to mysen we really should have a heaving line onboard, not for our benefit but to assist others. Therefore if we get to a chandlers this trip I’ll purchase 50m of 8mm and splice a weighted monkeys fist on one end and make up a decent heaving line. Then of course instruct my skippers how to correctly deploy one 

Griff

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Griff, do you have trouble with your screens misting up during a night nav?  Had my canopy down and the screens were misting up on the outside, luckily I can stand up to see where I'm going!  Was going to try one of those antifogging sprays but wondered if you'd experienced it?

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Therefore if we get to a chandlers this trip I’ll purchase 50m of 8mm and splice a weighted monkeys fist on one end and make up a decent heaving line.

See if you can find some natural fibre "light line" known as COIR.  Especially as it floats on water.  I believe they still make it on the rope walk at Chatham Historic Dockyard.

I have to ask mysen if the rangers have actually had any training or common sense? Not having a heaving line or a loud hailer is criminal

Tow boats in "my day" always had a dinghy, so that you could row a light "messenger" line across the shallows to the boat aground.  From this you can pass across a heavier towing line, to allow the power of the towboat to take a purchase.

Then they instructed hire craft to deploy mudweight over the BOW!  They should of course put it over the stern so they could ledge off on a rising tide. 

Quite right!  You always tow a boat off the mud in the reverse direction to which it arrived.  Your  "ledge off" was of course, a typo for kedge off.

IMHO, if the "Spirit of Boredom" does not carry a dinghy aboard, it is pretty useless for salvage operations on Breydon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Griff, do you have trouble with your screens misting up during a night nav?  Had my canopy down and the screens were misting up on the outside, luckily I can stand up to see where I'm going!  Was going to try one of those antifogging sprays but wondered if you'd experienced it?

I have always found that on the Norfolk rivers at night, you cannot see through glass, and most especially, Perspex.

Take the windscreen down and rely on the Mark One Eyeball.

• Like 1

Hire craft out of the channel by 100yds on t mudflats. I tried assisting them using loud hailer. I nearly got them off but they just wouldn’t listen to instructions. Then SOB arrived, totally unsuitable craft - too much draft. Rangers useless, no loud hailer, no having line either! Then they instructed hire craft to deploy mudweight over the BOW!  They should of course put it over the stern so they could ledge off on a rising tide. 

I left them to it before I lost it

I have often said to mysen we really should have a heaving line onboard, not for our benefit but to assist others. Therefore if we get to a chandlers this trip I’ll purchase 50m of 8mm and splice a weighted monkeys fist on one end and make up a decent heaving line. Then of course instruct my skippers how to correctly deploy one 

Griff

Bit like the 2 Rangers/helpers at Ranworth who walk around brandishing a boat hook, who try and close gaps between moored boats simply by tightening the stern ropes,(no thought of using a mud weight),

I was keeping an eye out for you Griff thinking we’d be passing each other over Breydon! Now I know why we didn’t see you as we departed Stracey Mill at 0610 this morning and arrived at the “yellow post” at GY about 7.40 ish. Breydon was like a mill pond and we turned up the Waveney and arrived at Beccles yacht station about 1145 ish. 

Chris and Brenda

• Like 1

What a cracking day afloat. Sailed just before 1000, onboard wx station stating 30c. We had to put canopy up for the rest of the day it was that hot.

Sailed to Potter Heigham, bought stuff we didn’t know we needed in Lathams - situation normal. Welcomed a couple onboard with two Golden retrievers, Purdey well chuffed

Went to Womack Water, DTS in Kings head. Back to Potter to drop them off. Sailed to Wroxham, took everything down to squeeze under t bridge with board stating 6ft3” (It lies) but it was chuffing close. Dinner onboard now relaxing and trying to cool off

Another blissful day afloat

Griff

IMG_3741.jpeg

83B9310F-6697-4580-B3D9-D0B4DC3C17CD.jpeg

IMG_3738.jpeg

IMG_3737.jpeg

• Like 10

Here's sommat.  The couple we welcomed onboard (With their two goldies) for the cruise from Potter to Womack and back

He mentioned the name of a joiner I recommend that is always on the bottom om my standard estimate. Asked if the joiners dad was called Albert with a nickname of Rocky - I had no idea so I msgd my joiner mate and asked him.  The reply came back - Yes.

Now here's the thing, the chap asking the question is about the same age as me and 'my' joiner (Early sixties).  He said I think I was at school with your joiner and have not seen or spoke to him for about forty eight years, I would never forget his dads name as he used to wrestle under the name 'Rocky'

I rang my joiner mate up, told him to pin his lug holes back and handed the phone to my guest

They were indeed old school friends, conversing for the first time in forty eight years, one at work outside Donny, the other onboard 'B.A - Imagine that! - Small world and a great coincidence

Griff

• Like 7

life is only full of these amazing coincidences if you make the point of talking with people and finding them out. if you hadnt met this couple and if you hadnt offered them a trip, then none of this would have occurred, I think your kind actions made more than one person happy that day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1