The BA Stakeholder Survey

Poppy

Remember this, and how we were, as boat owners, hirers etc all encouraged to respond to the questionnaire on line?

There was even a thread on it, if I recall. Well, the results have now been published.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/525292/Stakeholder-Surveys-Analysis-Appendix-1.pdf

Two points ( amongst many) STAGGER me.

1. Only 147 private boat owners took part in the 'on line' survey.

2. " Walking" is the "key" leisure activity undertaken on the Broads.

Really ?

147 on line responses!!

With such a poor input from us, who put our hard earned cash into the Norfolk Broads in a variety of ways, is it any surprise that we aren't listened to?

Further words fail me! ( Well, they don't, but I have no wish to fall foul of the mods.)

Correct me if I am wrong but was this the telephone poll that didn't take any details if the person was over 60?

Lets face it there is a fairly high percentage of people that own boats are aged over 50, now have more time on our hands, can afford full or partial boat ownership. I can say that over 80% of our owners fall into that category. Our boat is registered under the names of our trustees, we certainly did not get a call on this survey.

The trouble with any survey is that you can make the report lean to whatever you wish the outcome to be by the questions asked and options for the reply.

Regards

Alan

Poppy although only 147 were online there were another 600 telephone responses if I have read it correctly.

How did they publicise this? I am going to assume when they sent out licence renewals. I wasn't aware of it to be honest.

Their own target for 'self completes ' (on line responses) was around 500, 147 out of the number of private boat owners alone is p*** poor, given that there are almost 13000 boats registered on the Broads

It was publicised here http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/499363/Broad-Sheet-Sept-2014.pdfas well as elsewhere, and was discussed at length on the various fora..

Only just found this one!

Poppy, you are amazed at the p.p. response, especially the on-line ones. Be honest though, in the past BA surveys have proved to be next to valueless or so clearly skewed and cherry picked to provide a desired end result. Perhaps folk now see responding as a waste of time?

I personally don't see the results as entirely surprising, the BA has entirely devalued surveys, witness the recent, wholly laughable National Park survey, a blatant tool for a determined CEO! 

Personally, I am shocked at the childish format of the information – someone got far too carried away with Google Image Search and clip art!

However you collect your data, making sense of it in a graphical form is essential. The Broads Authority have just garbled it all together and pages and pages of coloured charts, ‘thought clouds’ text has thoroughly confused me.

• Like 2

The results are intriguing..  Why on earth has over 60's been ignored? surely this is a large part of the broads user group..

I'm surprised by the results of the Hire boaters compared to private, it's almost like you would expect the opposite replies, it's almost like certain replies such as the over 60's have been censored to show more support to the BA for boat owners.. I highly doubt that private boaters (after reading threads on these forums) have such a high regard for the BA lol.. Perhaps next time, over 60's put your age as you feel it to make your views heard.  But well done hire boaters lol 

• Like 2

Before, as usual, you all blame the BA for incompetence, can anyone off the top of their head say how many people take part, and what criteria apply, to the average MORI opinion poll. Not sure how many voters there are in the UK but lets say 40m - what percentage do they contact? Perhaps the rise of UKIP is just a fantasy??!!

This survey was not done by the BA so presumably they acted on advice  - people only ever agree with surveys if they agree with the results otherwise they are rubbished - see above!!!

Being the cynical old goat that I am I perceive that any survey will always be loaded to eventually produce the results which are required. Should the results be opposite to what is required the survey will simply be swept under the carpet and the little gnomes of whatever quango is involved will get their way whatever.

Personally the Broads is only a place to float my boat. If the shiny trousared gnomes in their quango make things not to my liking I will just take the boat elsware.

Pick the bones out of that one Broads Authority.

Too right! Statistics are also set up as infallible in some quarters. School stats are a real issue, they are taken from samples so small that a single pupil or maybe two will skew the results, then they go off to the likes of OFSTED who 'pick over the entrails' and sometimes use their oracular findings as though they were all there is to know about schools. The only relevant stats are when most of the kids do less well or when many schools have combined data, that tells you a lot but not otherwise. Maths Misused could be the name of the current set up.

Rant over :D