Have you checked your boat lately?

JennyMorgan

At Oulton Broad yesterday:

OultonBroadvarious001.jpg

I'm guessing here but judging by the grp/paint marks on the jetty at the front of the boat the stem caught on the top of the jetty. We had a very low tide last week so perhaps the bow stayed up whilst the stern went down, allowing the incoming tide to pour in over the back of the boat. If that was the case then she was not tied up as well as she could have been.

Whatever, great shame, presumably someone's pride and joy.

That is a shame to see, I remember seeing this very boat back in April and again in October last year – looking I have to say a bit sorry for itself.

Speculation of course, but having gone to the trouble of having the covers fitted – even to the windows – I suspect the owners had a real soft spot for the boat and wanted to keep things nice and indeed dry inside, leaving them to wash down the roof and decks and away they go when wanted to do some cruising. 

Sadly I think there must be many boats about that either were great loves of their owners once but life’s general hustle and bustle gets in the way of travelling to their boat and so they get used less and less and secondly that people don’t then visit the boats to check all is ok from time to time.

It's a shame no one spotted it before she got swamped and tried to do something - no idea what they could have done as it's all a bit of guesswork as to what happened, buy JM is probably right.

Seems to be a theme this winter of sinkings and fires - is this normal as I haven't heard of many in the past?

It's a shame no one spotted it before she got swamped and tried to do something - no idea what they could have done as it's all a bit of guesswork as to what happened, buy JM is probably right.

Seems to be a theme this winter of sinkings and fires - is this normal as I haven't heard of many in the past?

Mark, every winter boats sink, often making the headlines on one or more forums. From a local perspective I know of two currant sinkings on Oulton Broad but one, I suspect, is an abandonment. It does appear that some/many owners walk away from their boats during the winter, expecting them to be just as they left them come next spring. It does concern me because my insurance requires me to visit my boat at least once a week whilst she is afloat, not that that is a hardship! 

Given the average number of holes many boats have below the waterline, (engine cooling and toilet flush intakes etc.. it's surprising that so few of them sink over the Winter months if they're not checked regularly, as Peter advised.

Each time I've renovated an old cruiser I've been startled to see the frequent poor condition of the intake hoses and seacocks.

My current boat originally had two 50mm underwater skin fittings crudely blanked off with short hoses and plugs held with jubilee clips, from a previously fitted seagoing toilet flush, and two more for the original equipment speed log paddlewheel and echo sounder transducer.  I was very relieved after I removed them all and sealed the holes with epoxy patches, properly chamfered in on both sides.

I confess I'm also glad it's a tupperware hull, just one piece with no joints, compared to the hundreds of feet of caulked seams in a wooden hull... :)

Checked boat this morning and still floating and no leaks. Not happy though as apparently I have a problem on my shore power.

The marina kindly un-plugged it for me last week as it was apparently tripping the breaker for the whole section of leccy posts - good job I don't rely on tube heaters to stop the engines freezing!! They are normally good at letting you know if you have a problem as well.

Job for weekend now to find out what's wrong.

Marina frozen over and only thawed at the mouth of the dyke. Jolly nice calm day though if you could get through the ice!

Not the best pictures as the sun was in my face. One over the front of the boat down the marina, the other the very frozen bay. Brrrr.

post-30810-0-66879400-1421761549_thumb.j

post-30810-0-89260900-1421761742_thumb.j

• Like 2

Had a blocked drain in the cockpit, so looks like rain water has gone over the top of the lockers and then tracked down to under the cabin sole. Need a very thin syphon tube to slip down through one of the keel bolt cutouts between the sole and hull  ........... done it before using a model aircraft fuel pump.

• 4 months later...

At Oulton Broad yesterday:

OultonBroadvarious001.jpg

I'm guessing here but judging by the grp/paint marks on the jetty at the front of the boat the stem caught on the top of the jetty. We had a very low tide last week so perhaps the bow stayed up whilst the stern went down, allowing the incoming tide to pour in over the back of the boat. If that was the case then she was not tied up as well as she could have been.

Whatever, great shame, presumably someone's pride and joy.

She's still laying there, no effort to salvage her. I suspect that by now she's effectively a write off. I know nothing of her, or her owners. I'm sure that there is a story there, but I suspect it will be a sad one.

Yes very sad.

One hopes that a recovery will be made on behalf of the owner and a satisfactory solution to the problem can be found.

However not an uncommon site I'm afraid.

Years ago I suppose that a woody would simply rot away or it would be hauled up onto a bank somewhere, allowed to dry out, and then someone would set light to it.

But how do you dispose of a "plastic boat" once you have removed it. I suspect a costly procedure on both counts. That leads to the next question if the owner has insufficient funds who pays?

But how do you dispose of a "plastic boat" once you have removed it. I suspect a costly procedure on both counts. That leads to the next question if the owner has insufficient funds who pays?

You and I?

Would have thought that she was insured along with her toll but presumably not. Perhaps there is no one to act on behalf of the owner.

I suspect this is a free boat, I was going to ask the chaps in the office but forgot to. I believe boats positioned here are repo's so there probably is no owner and I'm sure sentinal or the BA would be pleased to see it go. If anyone wants this boat I would suggest you ask the harbour master if it's for grabs. Naturally you need to assume the running gear is all dead and it would be a refit. Although it would make a decent static liveaboard and from what I can see it's only sinking because the cleats have been tourn off so it keeps filling with rain water. It wouldn't be too hard to refloat her and tow away.. (No we are not interested!!).

• Like 1