Blowing a Hooley

Hylander

Thinking of Geoff and Audrey who are out on Moonlight Shadow this week!

We are coming down on Saturday so fingers crossed it will of calmed down by then. It was quite windy last time we came down which was exciting for the first day but the novelty soon wore off after a few nights off sloshing and rolling about!

We are out on Thunder next week but she is not in use this week. We were contemplating coming down Thursday/Friday but with the heavy rain forecast in Friday it is looking like it will be Saturday!

Nothing on the Broads Authority website regarding a closure of Breydon Water.

I am not surprised however if they took the decision to stop vessels going across, I wonder if it is the Coast Guard, RNLI or Rangers that may be doing this? It is hardly going to be SOB.

I hope our owner going on the boat today waits until the wind drops somewhat before venturing out onto the river.

We had high winds and rain throughout the night, the bins go out tonight, we have recycling boxes in the garden this morning, glad the neigbours only put plastic bottles and tins in there rather than paper.

Regards

Alan

I'm with Jaws and Iain, increase the getting sloshed, then who cares what the weather's doing and crossing Breydon in a Storm (have done once) bring it on Lol

Seriously, the winds are calming down where we are but also had dustbins blowing over and all sorts.

One more thing, what's a Hooley?  :huh:

Grace

• Like 2

That's interesting, Iain. Some years ago this same topic was discussed almost adnauseum in the boating press. Eventually, if my memory serves me right, its popularity was eventually attributed to a boating journalist called Bob Fisher.

Another option is that the OED suggests that hoolie /hu(:)li/ comes from the Orkney Scots word hoolan (strong gale), from an unattested Norn form of the Old Icelandic ýlun (howling, wailing).

That's interesting, Iain. Some years ago this same topic was discussed almost adnauseum in the boating press. Eventually, if my memory serves me right, its popularity was eventually attributed to a boating journalist called Bob Fisher.

Another option is that the OED suggests that hoolie /hu(:)li/ comes from the Orkney Scots word hoolan (strong gale), from an unattested Norn form of the Old Icelandic ýlun (howling, wailing).

Hi JM,                                                                                                                                            

Yes I have used that other spelling version..."hoolie" I guess both are correct in their own way. Its wild here as I type, no outdoors for me today.

cheers Iain.

It`s not been too bad down here, we seem to have escaped the worst of it, but we`ve still got a few twigs in the roads, and roadwork signs etc blown over, but that`s all. Even our bins have`nt blown over, so it sounds worse than it obviously is.

I hope it`s nice and still in late May / early June, as the in-laws have never been on the Broads before, although Karens dad used to work at Sunseekers, so he should be used to movement on a boat after all the sea trials he went on?.