Kids & Boats

Lastdraft

In my time our brood have managed to test every lifejacket to within an inch of its life. They have (daily) sunk every canoe, kayak, the topper and probably could have managed the wind surfer as well given enough time. They have turned the enterprises over so many times we are thinking of renaming them after submarines!

They have swam in Salhouse, Ranworth, Oulton Broad and Geldeston every year since god knows when and will do the same this year no doubt.

They all have super confidence in the water and good understanding of boatmanship etc. They can tie knots, varnish, clean bilges and, on a good day, outsail the old man.

They all have a queue of friends wanting to come along for a trip out and most get to walk the plank! (Dont ask, blame Pirates of the wherever)

Kids and boats together? They can't get enough of it! .

• Like 6

Do they want any extra pocket money,We have lots of jobs for them on our boat.

Back regarding kids and boat,I was on the broads at a young age and loveed it.When ALan and Nicola were kids we did not get on the broads,instead we followed the sun,ALan enjoyed the sun,not so Nicola,what ever was mainly her response, so its not just boats,that's kids for you.

Ian

Went down to Ely to meet middle boy and family last week.Grand daughter of 13 months who has been boating on the Nen and the Gt Ouse from about 2 months old.  Child and bumbling idiot Rottweiler have taken to boating well.

I was even allowed to pilot the boat from the Cutter down to Littleport and wasn't told how to do it or not do it once!!  

That was a first!

• Like 1

"The only boating I did as a kid was on the Paddle Steamer, Waverely" Hope there weren't any Fire Extinguishers on Board Iain :naughty:

Grace

Grace, at that age all I knew was I was on a big boat! :naughty: That FE has cost Richos a customer, ME! 

I have been stuck in the house now for a fortnight, the leg is taking ages to heal up.

cheers Iain.

I do apologise Iain, it was just a light hearted comment and mean't no harm by it. I am also sorry you are still poorly, you poor thing, bless you. I will find one of my wonderful jokes to cheer you up, or not as the case may be lol  :kiss

Grace

• Like 1

I understand Richardsons will be putting customer warning signs on their boats from now on.

Customer warning.

Look where you're bloody going.

Thank you.

Tee hee. :hardhat:  :)

Best tell the staff FIRST ...MM, both engineers whacked it when they came to do repairs!

cheers Iain.

We started hiring boats on the broads when our eldest son was 8 and our youngest just 4. They loved it and still do. We have always let them get involved with all the jobs that need doing when onboard ( supervised of course). Rope tying, engine checks, water filling, mopping the decks, window cleaning, lowering the roof etc

We have always had a dog aboard as well so lots of dog walking once moored up. They have also been abroad with us to a wide variety of destinations some luxurious some not so but a few years ago we gave my youngest the choice of where we should go that year and he chose the broads above all the other possible places.

My eldest now being 20 and almost a father himself no longer comes along. My youngest is now 14 and is the chief rope man. He loves being on the boat. He brings along his phone and ipad for the times when he wants to be away from the parents but to be honest he is now a valued member of our crew! We enjoyed our holidays so much that we now have a share in moonlight shadow so no longer hire.

I think that if you give kids 'real jobs to do' it helps them to learn, feel valued and teaches them how to enjoy the boring bits along with the fun bits. Luxury, all inclusive holidays are good sometimes but the real memories are formed on holidays where they join in, get a bit dirty or wet, get a bit scared, get a bit cold, have a few sleepless nights due to the sloshing noise in the front and best of all spend a week in an enclosed area and actually talk to each other instead of retreating to their bedrooms as is so often the case at home.

So for us yes kids and boats do mix as we have had some of our best 'family' moments aboard a boat on the broads.

• Like 4

"I think that if you give kids 'real jobs to do' it helps them to learn, feel valued and teaches them how to enjoy the boring bits along with the fun bits."

I couldn't agree more! My first responsibility on the Broads was keeping the ice box cold. Parents would always moor some way away from the places where you could exchange the ice blocks, so it always meant a good row for me.

• Like 2

Well not sure about kids on boats,  but mother-in-laws on boats can be very trying lol :naughty:

Have had the old dear on board for a week and Lorna's wine consumption has gone viral!

Getting her to wear a life jacket is a constant battle of wills - it interferes with her clothes !!!!!

She can't sleep if it's windy and makes us feel guilty if it rains!!!! 

Says she prefers to be outside but moans when we go a walk

We decided a walk from Beccles YS to Geldeston and back would help her sleep but no, she had he "worst sleep of the week" 
So moored up and filling her with wine - that will shut her up :)  :)  :)  :)

• Like 2

True Ian,  and I know she's old (she tells us about 6 times a day lol)

Just seems nothing pleases her much 

The classic was " we have had lunch in three pubs,  but I don't do big lunches and prefer to eat at 17.50!!!!"

:naughty:  :naughty:

This after she ignores the lighter options and orders huge portions which she can't eat!!!!

Just shoot us now please

• Like 2