Kids & Boats

Lastdraft

Am I alone in thinking kids and boats just don't mix ?  I have three adorable grandchildren who I love more than life itself, I would do anything for them and often do, but have them on my boat again ? at this moment, I'm not so sure.

Kids between 3 and 9 have no sense of fear or danger, its only fun if they can walk along the decks, climb on the roof, hang over the side, do they want to sit and look at nature from Brundall to Beccles ? do they eck ! who ever thought they would.

So you can tell them, reprimand them, raise your voice, but is that a fun day out with Grandad , constantly hollering at them ?  I was in real danger of being a 'Grumpy Old Man', but the smiles on their faces when I returned them safely ashore and they thanked me for a brilliant day, makes me want to put myself through it all again. anyone else?????

• Like 2

You are not alone,

When one of my boys was quite young his grandfather took him to Manchester airport to see the planes, Granddad was telling him all about the types of planes, my son however was interested in the diggers that were at the other side of the field.

When they are quite young all children want to do is dig on a beach making sand castles or damming rock pools.

We still have a beach holiday each year even though the children are getting on now.   Both over the years have been with us on the canals or the Broads, one appreciates an holiday when dad pays the other is just bored and bored at  a maximum of 6 mph does not cut it for him.

Its a good job we like the waterways.

Regards

Alan 

Depends on the kind of boat.  Sitting around on a big motor cruiser while an adult 'drives' is probably not much fun for kids, but on my way back from Hickling to Ludham today I passed a family group on Heigham Sound; three kids about 7-9 years old, each in a tiny 'Dagger' kayak, another slightly older kid sailing a 'Topper' solo, an adult and a kid in a canoe, and an adult and maybe a 5 year old in a basic lugsailed dinghy.  All appeared to be having great fun, because all had something to do, rather than sit passively.  Us 'old folk' may well be happy to laze on our boats and watch the world go by ... kids want to be part of the world that is going by!

• Like 1

This is where I might just as well stand against the wall and be shot right now.

When I was a lad I did as I was told and did it pretty smartish. Result... I was boating at an early age on the Thames estuary, single handed in a dinghy. I kept an eye on the beach where if mum and dad wanted me back, they'd fly a beach towel from a pole. If I failed to respond that would be the last I'd see of the dinghy for the rest of the year.

Was I alone in this freedom? Was I unique?... NO!

Some of you will know of the lines

"Better drowned than duffers.

If not duffers won't drown."

So, what's changed? Discipline! That's what has changed! Most importantly, SELF DISCIPLINE.

I would never have a child on my boat as I would not be able to enforce order. I might tell a child to wear a life jacket, but I could never oblige it to do so. If I gave a child an instruction I would require immediate compliance. There would have to be consequences if that compliance  did not occur. I am simply not allowed to enforce this.

Result, no child is welcome on my boat at any time.

Conclusion, We both lose out, but that is societies choice.

• Like 4

We had ours aboard at 6 months and 2 1/2 respectively, the baby in the cabin or carried, the toddler in LJ with line attached to allow a wander without going overboard, and watched of course. On and off over their growing up they were afloat, and apart from Dave doing handsprings along the roof of a narrow boat as we returned to base :) it was all conducted unalarmingly. I am working on darling daughter to get the baby grandson afloat, but first we buy him a LJ and put it on a line. :)

• Like 2

I'll watch this thread with interest.

If all goes to plan we are due to become Grandparents for the first time in early November.

I was onboard my first hireboat at about 1 x month old for a weeks holiday (I remember it very well of course)

Question - Would Dec 2015 be too soon to take my first grandchild onboard 'B.A' ?

(Via a pillion on the Tiger :naughty:  )

Griff

• Like 3

I wish as a youngster I had been taken boating even at 6mph.

I do think many kids today can't handle life without a games console.

Some will be the exception to the rule. I can also see the lure of a canoe or sailie thing to an energetic kid. Sitting watching things at slow speed might not do it. But I was always into birds (easy not that type) and nature so well up my street.

Tough one, but doubt kids would enjoy themselves with me as like MM they would need to be on best behaviour.

That's why I don't like having the wife onboard!!

Death here I come!

Fair point Polly re the Tiger but onboard with 'B.A' heating system?

But your right of course, besides I'm most likely not to be allowed to make any decisions re precious grandchild until it is at least three years old.

Even then 'My' decisions will have to be supervised from those upon higher ground, Grandma and Mum of course!

Griff

Both mine have been onboard for at least two weeks a year since they were 3 months olds and that started over 7 years ago. So far incident free and we have a dinghy with an outboard.

Griff sounds just like my dad was with my boys- full of mischief. Conversations often went "don't tell Vicky but we did this today......"

I have been on Broads holidays since knee high to a grasshopper (my dad's words), my brother was pulling the boat in and walked straight off the quay once, the only incident of possible danger I can remember. My parents taught us to have the utmost respect for water and boats and the dangers that come with such holidays. As you know I now take my own children on the Broads and they have also been taught the same as my brothers and me. We so far have not had an incident. In my opinion it's all down to common sense and a bit of discipline and the wearing of life jackets at all times when outside the boat.

We have taught them to fish and to row a dinghy with an adult present, when they do get a bit bored we moor up and take them to parks/fields etc to let off some steam, they love every minute of being aboard a Boat, the wildlife, even bed time is never a problem as they love being in their cabins.

So from my experience, yes, I do think kids and Boats mix, what a terrible shame it would be if everyone had the attitude that they don't, so many kids and families would miss out on a fantastic family time type of holiday, we have asked our children many times if they would like to try a different type of holiday (I come out in a cold sweat waiting for their answer lol) luckily for us the answers always the same "What Boat can we pick this time" until they choose otherwise that's the way it's going to stay for us  ;)

Grace

• Like 7

I think kids & boats mix providing they, like the crew, understand the absolute authority of the skipper.

"Do this now!!" might well mean do this now or get injured.

The problem arises when other peoples kids are on board who are not aware that a boat (especially a sailboat) can be a dangerous place.  I would always give them a warning before setting off, that if I tell them to do something it is not open to debate and if they don't comply they will find themselves unceremoniosly dumped below decks.

Unsurprisingly I found myself increasingly in that wonderous solo sailing world!!

OMG ..... may be i'm miserable git.

• Like 2

Kids and boats were made for each other! Like Gracie I started boating before I could walk, and Jamie was the same. Yes, there are dangers and as responsible parents we manage those dangers as best we can, as we do with everything, every day. Jamie has toys onboard which he can play with when he wants to, but most of the time he wants to be sat on deck, with his lifejacket on, watching what is going on. He has been bought up to be an inquisitive, interested child. We select the boat type to make sure there is a reasonably safe place to sit, which isn't a major problem as the styles of boat I like provide that anyway, lifejacket goes on before he leaves the cabin and doesn't come off until he is safely ashore.

Children on board are a joy, deny them and you lose that joy from your life. After thirty years of playing serious cricket and boating from one mooring to the next I had forgotten how much fun it is to get a bet and ball and play the game with children, or moor up for an hour or two and play football or Frisbee.

In my opinion it is the attitude that children should not be exposed to danger which has led to a generation of mindless, moronic automatons who sit inside all day, in front of a TV, surgically attached to a device of some kind which becomes there only contact with the outside world. Most of them can't spell properly, some can't even speak properly, No, that's not for me, and certainly not for Jamie.

• Like 8

Fantastic post Paul, my thoughts exactly  :clap  :clap Yes, my kids have games consoles and the like but they are NOT allowed on them for hours on end and certainly not on holiday (not that they are interested when on a boat) what better way to teach kids to respect the water and wildlife than to take them out on a boat

Grace

• Like 2

I definitely agree that its the parents responsibility to manage the dangers and ensure that children understand the POTENTIAL dangers and how to mitigate the risks...... then let the little cash eaters enjoy themselves just as I'm sure many of us did!   

• Like 1

My mum apparently refused to let my dad take us on the broads when we were kids... and I still hate her now (Well within reason.. she knows what I mean...  :kiss ) I'm sure as a youngster I would have loved it and I'm sure I would only have fallen in once...

Stopping at WRC monday night the kids on the boats seemed to have better respect for the water than the kids camping who rode bikes along the pontoons and messed about like it was a playground.. although again I'm sure they would quickly learn but I do see an accident waiting to happen there..

cheers

• Like 1

My mum too, but she was a non swimmer and envisaged watching us while dad fished, and fished, and fished, probably right. Shame he missed out though, we hired a boat to take Dad out in his last years and he cancelled because of his dog..who would have been fine.

The only boating I did as a kid was on the Paddle Steamer, Waverley, and the two other "doon the water" steamers that sailed around the Firth of Clyde, Duchess of Montrose and Hamilton. Great days out they were.

cheers Iain.

I thought that would get censored Iain - and that's why you need Scoot nowadays - too much exercise when you were younger cheers  pirate

Mark,

Scoot has been redundant since my return home. I spend the day just now on my recliner with sair leg resting on an old pillow. I dinny do accidents by halfs :naughty:  :norty:  The quicker this heals, the better i'll be..... back on Scoot!

cheers Iain.

• Like 2