Windows 10

I have been reading the comments on this thread, Windows 10 has a new games package this can be found and tablet mode.

However I don't know about the old package I would assume they wouldn't watch but as I say I don't know gaming is not my thing.

Someone mentioned Norton there is no reason why Norton should not work on Windows 10 I would think if you're having difficulties uninstall Norton and then reinstall you'll find this will solve your problem.

When doing large updates like putting on our service pack or upgrading from say Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 it is always a good idea to make sure nothing is running on your PC and Tom of all antivirus software I Reinstate them when the update is fully completed.

I think the other problem was something called free cell I don't really know what that is , I think it Could possibly be a card game but I'm not really sure if it is a thurd party piece of software once again uninstall it then reinstall.

Obviously there are going to be some small glitches but give it a chance people it is new and the me need to iron out some issues.

I have installed Windows 10 on my new PC I may have left it for a while but I could not as it was a new computer once I finished installing Windows 8.1 the computer started to update and was forcing me to take Windows 10 as my update, have not had much of a chance to play with it but everything seems to be working I had one messing driver which I went to their website found the appropriate driver and install it know everything and the device manager looks hunky-dory.

If anyone else has issues with Windows 10 write them up and I'll have a look around and see what I can find out for you, but with every day software there really should be no issues, just remember what I said earlier make sure you have nothing running in the background I'm come of your anti-virus before doing the download and the installation and please remember that Microsoft servers are jampacked at the moment with people trying to do exactly the same thing as you anyway I hope this has helped some of you all the best...

• Like 4

I had a couple of programs that wouldnt work initially (one being Abbey Finereader pro 11 OCR) but I just ran the installer without uninstalling and it all worked.

Everything else works fine, infact I had a couple of issues with the pc and was considering a re install but windows 10 seems to have sorted it out.

Solitaire, freecell are there under the name of Microsoft solitaire collection which seems to be online rather than local and wants you to log on but like Cheshire Cat games are not my thing either.

Not sure about the old versions still being there but there is a folder called windows.old so they could be in there.

All in all almost a week on I have to say I am very impressed so far

Finally all traces of Windows 10 have been eradicated from my network and once again all software is running as it should. I've added Windows 10 to my list of 'Do Not Install on Pain of a Smack in the Ear'ole'.

Just for information software on this list include:

Windows 10

Windows 8

Windows Vista

Norton

McAfee

Internet Explorer

Hitfilm Express

Rhino 3D

Later versions of SketchUp

Anything from NCH Software

Anything from Serif.

Microsoft Office

Finally time to get some work done...unless of course Uncle Albert wants...hang on phone's ringing....

"Yes Dad? You want what? You've done what exactly?"

"&^%*&^%%^$%$£$£%(&()*&)(*&^&%"

"On what planet and in what dimension did you think that could possibly be a good idea?"

"$%$%^*&_(^&*%^$$£$£"

"I'll be right over! Is there anything you need while I'm passing Tesco?"

"$^%$^%&(*^*()(*&)(*&)(*^&%^$££!"!$%&^%&)(&)%%^$£$£"

"I don't think they sell those in Tesco, I'll see you in half an hour!"

As I was saying...time to sort Uncle Albert out and then get some work done!"  :shocked

• Like 1

Installed Windows 10 yesterday and went back to Windows 7 today. 

I lost my Free Cell

I lost my Norton

I had to unplug and replug my mouse every time I opened my laptop

I may try it again in the future.

Losing Norton is no bad thing.....

• Like 3

Ok I've done the upgrade on a win7 pro pc and it went ok and in about a hr including download.

I did the 1st page setup and cancelled the history viewing details sent to Msoft etc.

All runs ok including Nortons 360 which it told me to use firefox as edge doesn't support Nortons yet.

Issues I have is WindowsHomeServer prog doesn't log onto my remote server for backups etc - To be checked out - may have to upgrade server Software

I can't remote onto the pc from my laptop which is how I access the pc 90% of the time - To be checked out, may have to add my Microsoft login to the pc to be same as laptop.

Other than that so far only other issue was resetting screen res as the icon were in your face on a 42" tv

Just checked and can't access any drives or files on Remote pc, could time to take lappy upstairs with a brew.

I think i will set the Brix pc (no bigger than a cd and 3" high) which runs Win 7 home going now.  My laptop can wait a while.

Remote access is already ticked, just joined home group and can now access shared folders, PS4 couldn't see it but check that later.

Brix updating now `just getting a few things ready` stage so won't be long now.

Set update going last night and it went ok then rebooted and sat with the windows sq and spinning dot not spinning, left over night as windows say and still sat there this morning. Rebooted and did the same so turned off.

Now needs a dose of looking at.

I was having trouble enabling Cortana and its a well known problem. I got the following fix from Microsoft and it worked for me:

1. Open up settings and navigate to time and Language

2 Click on region and language from the sidebar

3 change the country/region to United states

4. click on add a Language button on the Languages section

5. Find English then select English United states

6.After that go back to region and Language section and click on English United states and then click Options

7.There you will see that there is an option to download speech - download it

8. After its finished downloading go back to Region and Language section and click on English united states after that click on set as default

9 Lastly open up Cortana and follow the on screen instructions to get it.........Dave R........

It would be great if we could have English/England but it does not seem to work for every one . No doubt Microsoft will give us an update in

the future but in the meantime for me and many others who do get the problem of Cortana not working then for them its united states and English.  Dave R.........

I am having problems with adding a virtual desktop in Windows 10. I have read that when you add a new desktop it is a blank desktop that you can then customise. When I click on add a desktop is simply copies the desktop that I already have.

Any advise would be appreciated.  Dave R...........

Not sure I understand the problem:  I click on the desktop symbol to get the overview showing the windows that are open and, in the bar at the bottom, the desktops.  Click on the "+" at the right hand end of that bar to add a new (blank) desktop.  I have tried to capture the process in screen shot images ...  let's see if they appear!

Capture.PNG

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

• Like 1

Thanks for the instructions Jonathan. In view of my age I do struggle sometimes with computers and I guess that I am doing something wrong. I get my desktop up with a photograph in the middle and folders on the screen. I then click on the desktop symbol (Its also marked Task View when I point to it) At that point the screen goes dim and the folders disappear but the dim photo remains. I then click on "+" at the right hand end of the bar and I then add a second desktop identical to the one I already have. For some reason I cannot add a new BLANK desktop.  ........... I seem to be missing the overview showing the windows that are open. I use AVG internet security.  Dave R.................

Dave,

It sounds like you are doing the right thing.  The "+" symbol has the caption "New desktop" below it.  When you say "with a photograph in the middle" is that your desktop background picture?  If so then I would expect it to appear on a new desktop; but other applications that are running should not be duplicated.  For example in my screen capture I had 5 things running on the active desktop, they were all randomly overlaying and obscuring each other. They appear as a "task view" in a tiled fashion allowing the user to click on one to select it and "bring it to the front".  That same currently active desktop appears as a brighter thumbnail in the bar at the bottom with the original "overlaying" layout, so in this snip the brighter thumbnail (bottom left) is that active one and the white forum web page is evident at the "front" hiding the other applications, including the grey weather application that can be seen in the tiled view above the thumbnail..  

Capture.thumb.JPG.cb738c8000290e90615d8b

To the right of that active thumbnail is a dimmer thumbnail of a second desktop.  On the far-right of the screen is the "+" New desktop button.

Capture.thumb.JPG.986d1de13c8307bfc8702c

When that is clicked "Desktop 3" is created as the active desktop (so it is shown slightly brighter than the others) but it has nothing on it.

Sorry I do not really understand what you are doing.

Hylander,

There is no huge advantage to having lots of desktops, it just allows you to have different areas of work (or interest) grouped on different desktops.  In Windows 7 you could have many programs running and stacked on the desktop and all of them filling up the (single) task bar at the bottom, you can still do that in 10 but these desktops allow grouping of activities into different areas (desktops) analogous to the way you may use folders (or forum topics) to group similar information.

• Like 1

For some reason the forum software will not let me edit the above, but I just found a link:

https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/16/virtual-desktops-in-windows-10-the-power-of-windowsmultiplied/

that is obviously a pre-release version of Windows 10 (so it's slightly different) but it shows animations or mini videos of the desktop creation and moving things around.  It explains what to do much more clearly than I can!

Edit ... That's interesting! I CAN edit this one.

Edited by Jonathan
Just testing
  • Like 1

Thanks Jonathan for the reply its appreciated. The photo in the middle of the screen is my desktop background picture. I am clicking on the correct "+"new desktop symbol and when I do that I can create a new desktop and it shows up as a new desktop. The main problem is that its not a blank desktop as in your illustration but its an exact copy of the desktop I already have and the applications that are running on my main desktop are duplicated on the new desktop. It could be a problem that I have when I downloaded Windows 10. Thanks for the link . I downloaded windows 10 on release day.Regards Dave R

Edited by DaveRolaves
wrong word

I got mine on "release day" too.  It does sound like something has gone wrong with yours.  You could try:

1. At the start menu type cmd

2. "Command Prompt" appears at the top of the list.  Right-click that and choose "Run as administrator"

3. In the (black-background) command window type sfc /scannow

note that the space between the "c" and the "/" is necessary.

4. Wait (quite a long time) for it to finish and reboot.

The above is not guaranteed to fix any problems but it can sort out some corruptions.

Edited by Jonathan
  • Like 1