Windows 10

We have recently had some huge unexplained spikes in our broadband usage over the last month and Mrs Nog is not a happy camper (she pays the bill)  :-)

I made some enquiries at our friendly local computer shop and they informed me (if I have got this right) that Microsoft are surreptitiously downloading Windows 10 onto everyone’s computer whether they want it or not. Apparently it sits in the background waiting for you to activate it.  

I don’t want windows 10 and am quite happy to stick with Windows 7 which I understand will be supported until 2020.

Is there any way that I can :-

A -  get rid of Windows 10 from my computer and

B - block any Windows 10 activity whilst still receiving Windows 7 updates? I know that you can turn off automatic updates but would still need the Windows 7 ones.

Hope this makes sense. Any advice would be much appreciated. cheers 

I saw something about this from an Australian site, apparently for those using a mobile to tether their internet, there was a way to prevent windows doing this until you were on a proper network connection.

have a look at the lower section of this page http://www.alltechbuzz.net/disable-automatic-updates-on-windows-10/  re setting up a metered connection which should limit the amount that windows will try and use your machine to spread windows 10.

• Like 1

Howard,

If the downloads have already taken place then it is unlikely that there will be any more, so you will continue to get your Windows 7 updates as you want.  If you start trying to remove the updates then there is a possibility that you will remove the "wrong" update or possibly cause the file(s) to be re-downloaded.  It really depends how Microsoft have set up the update process.  You will not be forced to upgrade to 10, and if your hardware id not compatible then it will not even be offered to you.

The application updates that Grendel mentioned are for "Modern-UI" (Metro) applications, which you will not be running on Windows 7.

Is it possible that the broadband use you have seen are nothing to do with Windows 10?  Even if it was, then it may be simpler for you to just ignore it and carry on as before.  If the high network use persists then there is probably another problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated. The spikes seem to have settled down now so this would tie in with what Jonathan has said ie hopefully Windows 10 has done it's stuff, so the advice to leave well alone sounds good to me. I'll let Mrs Nog have a look when she gets in as shes much more computer savvy than me (doesn't take much) :-) 

We've just gone into our next charging period for the broadband and up now all seems OK touch wood. I'll keep a close eye on it. Sadly we live in the only place in the country where one Internet provider has a monopoly and we can't go anywhere else  :-(

Thanks again for you advice everyone cheers 

Thanks Monica, nice idea but can't do it, it's Kingston Communications or nothing, Grrrrrrrrr....:-(

Should live in Norfolk :-) 

PS forgot to say we normally only do a bit of browsing so our normal allocation is plenty, it's just knocked itbover with this Windows thing. Thanks forthe suggestion though :-)

Edited by NorfolkNog
Brain malfunction

• 2 weeks later...

Yes its me again having problems deleting my items in this darn thing called One Drive.       

1.    Some of the items have a green tick against them and seem impossible to delete.

2.     I have a few files called attachments in my pictures folder and they open but to delete them is a real pain and the only way I can do this is to delete one at a time.

Has anyone else had this problem.   I am used to downloading from the camera and deleting on the laptop,    is this a thing of the past and is of no use nor ornament to me.

Another thing it just keeps saying "not responding".           Short of chucking it out of the window I have come to the end of anything I can think of.

If anyone has any ideas I would welcome them.

Edited by Hylander

"Another thing it just keeps saying "not responding".           Short of chucking it out of the window I have come to the end of anything I can think of".

Monica, Have you found that your computer now takes an age to power up first time in the day? sometimes 5 to 10 minutes?

Mine started doing that a while back and I was getting those "not responding" messages at the top of the web page.

Oh, and a little tip... Never ever click on that   "Remove me from youir mailing list"  button. That tells somebody somewhere that your address is a live active address, and is being read. A sure way to get even more spam!

No I have not clicked on the Not Responding button and I have not as yet seen a remove me from your mailing list but will bear both points in mind.   All I know is Windows 10 is a pain in the a.se at the moment and yes it can be slow and we are on Sky Fibre.

Edited by Hylander

Sorry Monica, I didn't really make clear what I meant, I was talking about several different things.

Firstly, Spam mail.... Sometimes when you receivew a spam mail, if you read it, you might find an option asking if you wish to be removed from their mailing list. They use this trick to see if you have read the mail. If you have, it is worth their while sending you more. Your asking to be removed proves to them that you have!

Second point (entirely unrelated to the first) was the "Not responding" message that occurs when you are trying to do things. I too have had this problem, though it didn't seem to be related to Windows-10. I am interested to hear views on this as I had put it down to my computer being elderly and no longer "fit for purpose". the other symptom was the very long time it took to start up in the morning. I wondered if you had the same symptoms.  Luckily I had a back-up machine which I've now gone onto. The elderly machine was Windows 7, this is 10.

I dont know if this will help but here goes.

Yahoo Mail.

In Yahoo Mail

Go to the Cog wheel on the right  and click on that and go to Settings.

Go to Preview Pane and click on the downward arrow which says none.

This will bring up two options , choose preview pane on the right.   If you choose this version you will not receive the advertising bumpf that you are receiving at the moment.

With regard to my earlier post,   I have now sat an deleted all of the things I did not want.    Oh deep joy , everytime I download photos from my camera I will have this joy.   Not happy.

That's Windows being Windows I'm afraid, certainly it's worse on slower machines and particularly those with not that much RAM. 

A good cheap (ish) speed-up for an older machine is a Solid State Disk - These can be had for £40 now and can make a vast difference, so much so that a decent older machine can be quicker than a cheap new machine that has a mechanical hard drive.

It depends on whether the computer has a SATA drive or not, of course. I'm not aware of anyone selling SSD's with the older style connector.

So sorry, John but I've looked up SATA and SSD and can't work out how or whether they'll fit my PC.... Do you plug them into a USB port? Mine is an HP TouchSmart 310.....

When I had it tuned up a couple of months ago the guy did say that he could easily double the RAM. At present it's got 2.8GHz AMD Athlon™ 1333 processor, 4GB and a 2.5" SATA 7200rpm with 8MB Cache hard drive.

I like it and would be happy if I could just improve its speed.

Sorry John, but when John was talking to John, I (John) think it likely that you (John) were not the John that John was talking to, Am I right John?

Edited to ask Joihn if his computer is a desktop or a laptop and to ask John if that makes any difference as my (this John's) computer is a desktop.

Edited by MauriceMynah
  • Like 2

Help once more -  I dont know I seem to go from crisis to crisis.

This afternoon I took a couple of snaps and when it asked where would I like to download them , instead of going to the one drive section,   I pressed the download photos I think it said.    Well that was the end of my photos , never seen them again and for some reason I cannot get back to the One Drive.    It keeps going to a new App thing.     All I want is just to download my photos as before.  

:pcwhack::pcwhack:

• 3 months later...

I suddenly seem to have a problem with Windows 10. whenever I try and enter letters into the web address bar in the browser or even capital letters in a search, a bl^^dy blue screen asking me to set up mail account jumps up. This happens mostly with uppercase characters or the first character of an entry.  How can I get rid of this please?

I can't seem to find a way of disabling MS Mail. (I don't use it, use BT and yahoo)