Windows 10

You see, how do I put this? What I'm getting at is, perhaps, I bet she is wondering too...what I wanted to say is...

If Iain gets updated to Windows 10 will Mrs Iain get an update from Iain 1.0 to Iain 2.0 that cleans windows?  :naughty:

• Like 3

Ah Beta, ok if diesel engines, but can be temperamental with IT!  :naughty:  Having started with Windows 93, its only fair that after all these years, Mr Gates is giving us a "freebie".

Tim, Mrs SWMBO, Ruth for short, hates computeries, she was so happy to leave all the clobber in the school when she retired. :dance

cheers Iain

• Like 2

I am working on the "alternate logic" as I too have decided to go for 10.

Windows 95, unstable

Windows 98, far better.

Windows ME bloody awful

Windows XP, rather good

Windows Vista, synonym for problems,

Windows 7, very stable.

Windows 8, pointless and problematic

Windows 10... we shall see!

So there you are! the non tech geek hath spoken (or at least typed!)

• Like 5

I've been very fortunate when I have had to replace my lap dancer and gone straight into win 98, xp & windows 7.

A friend of mine had to endure 95, me & vista.

I'm thinking I might upgrade to 10 as all the feedback seems to confirm it's what windows 8 was meant to be.

We shall see .....

On the other hand I might just do the easy thing ..... nothing.

Grendal,

I too have an old Vista machine and never had a problem. No problems on the Win 7 machine either.

Apart from the patches I always ask what do you think the latest versions will deliver? 99% of users don't use more than 5% of what these platforms can do anyway - even in an office environment.

We have just removed our last XP machine at work (part of the fear of security issues) and apart from maybe being able to run 64bit (which ended up slower on my laptop than the 32bit WIn 7 version) most people haven't seen any difference. Mind you I got a new laptop out of it so it did have some positives (mind you the old one was still far more stable).

I am probably going to jump ship and go for a Chrome book next time as it does what I need it to do.

I am a little bit concerned as to whether other software will be compatible.  I am still using MS Access 2003, which appears to work ok on Win7, and don't want to have to shell out for a new full version of the suite.

SueH

Win 3.1 and DOS 6.22 those were the days - remember the old Amstrad 1512 and 1640?  

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the vcl media player. It looks like you can add music from Cd's and dvd's to a library within the media player. Can you also burn from the media player onto a cd or dvd like you can in windows media player?   Dave R.........................

I am a little bit concerned as to whether other software will be compatible.  I am still using MS Access 2003, which appears to work ok on Win7, and don't want to have to shell out for a new full version of the suite.

SueH

Win 3.1 and DOS 6.22 those were the days - remember the old Amstrad 1512 and 1640?  I still have my old Dragon 32 somewhere.

Grendel

Got my request as well to upgrade but with this lappy only 3 months old I need to check the warranty with PC world and Hp o see if i'm covered by upgrading windows. Rest of my gear can upgrade and like above I got a copy of win8 for around £30 and is still wrapped so need to stick it on a old drive and ugrade it.

Media player, I still use Winamp as a main player as it has a lot of features and there is a team trying to get it updated again.

So if MS follow the usual pattern of one great system followed by one not so good each time it suggests that the non existant 9 should have been the good one. Straight to 10 miss out the good one perhapsperhaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry guys.. I'm staying out of this one.. I use win xp in work (which is a FTSE 100 company) and windows 7 at home.. Both my work and myself are tight when it comes to spending money on IT stuff!

Personally I've never been compiled to run out and upgrade.. I'd rather spend money on the boat etc it's well known Microsoft are pretty good at releasing software far too early and largely untested. So I'd say stay away until the first (ideally second) second service pack comes out. 

cheers

• Like 1

Awe Alan :coat:  are you a man or a  :mouse: Nothing ventured nothing gained!  :naughty:

I am sure that that nice Mr Gates has spent days, weeks, months, well the odd minute or two to ensure Windows 10 will be bug free, and IF it aint you have OUR permission to E-mail him and tell him so!  rofl

cheers Iain. 

• Like 1