Ahoy from Surrey

Musicman

Hello from Surrey

Glad to be on board this very friendly and informative forum.

First motored on the Broads in the mid 80s with my wife. We also took a canal narrowboat from Guildford down the River Wey. We turned left onto the Thames and went up to Marlow. (Beautiful, come down and try it for a change. The locks are fun too).

Later, after I passed my dinghy sailing qualifications in Southampton, i came back back to the Broads to sail solo on "Jenny" from Martham Boatyard and have done this once or twice a year for the past 9 years.

Earlier this year I persuaded my family to come with me for a few days sailing on “Coriander”. This was at the end of March and we had one good morning of sailing before the weather turned too wet and windy for my novices.

I’m sailing solo on “Clipper” from Martham next week so I hope we all have good weather and fair winds. Give me a shout if you see me.

There seems to be a bit of “them and us” on the rivers and the forum. I hope I do my bit to make peace between the two fleets by giving clear indications of my intentions and which side and when to pass me. I always try to wave a thank you if I’ve held you up,

I’ll post some suggestions for motorboats (and other sailors) on another thread but may I make one suggestion here?

Please be patient and pass behind my stern and not cross my bow, especially if the gap between my bow and the bank or moored boat is rapidly diminishing.

Here’s wishing you all safe sailing and quiet moorings with friendly neighbours.

All the best

Myer

post-34370-0-94818000-1438942251_thumb.j

• Like 8

:wave Myer :welcome: to the forum from me. 

All the different vessels are all part of the broads. Thankfully I've done sailing and Mobo'ing so I understand both sides of it. I've settled back into a mobo for now although am still a member of my local yacht club with lots of possibilities to go out sailing. Although I've never sailed on the broads as it's seems hard work.. So personally you broads sailors have all my respect! Just ignore the others.. there all either weird or jealous ;) 

cheers

Hello and welcome from me as well.

The sailies are as much part of the Broads as the cruisers... No us and them as far as I'm concerned...... Room for all.

I've never sailed but used to windsurf when i was younger although mostly on the salty stuff & never on the broads.

Hope you have a great time next week

• Like 3

Hello Myer,

Welcome to the NBN your friendly forum.

Although I have never been on a yacht I can appreciate the skills and contentment that are involved in yachting.

The Broads would be a sad place indeed if only one aspect of Broads usage was dominate. The Broads is for everyone be they boat users, fishermen (and Grace), ramblers etc.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. It seems almost everyone reads this forum as almost everyone has waved at me! Some private owners avoid eye contact but I can't guess who they will be. I'm a motorcyclist as well and there's a similar etiquette among most riders to nod if it's safe to do so.

Crossing Hickling Broad was fun today as there three races that I saw going on simultaneously, including one that was at right angles to the channel! It was like a cycle race going across a main road with no traffic lights. Of course, we all followed rules of the water and kept an eye out for each other. I slowed down and waited for a safe gap to cross the fleet as did the large motorboats but a few of the little day boats seemed a bit spooked!

I'm planning to go through Potter Heigham bridge in the next day or two so maybe I'll see more of you further West. I would encourage you to try sailing if you have never done so. There used to be taster sessions on various Broads or supplied by some boatyards.

Happy boating

Myer

• Like 4

Thanks everyone. I've had a great week and the weather's been better than the BBC threatened.

Met some lovely new people and even bumped into some old friends on the river. Most rental motor boaters seem more considerate this year. If I held you up on the Bure today round the South Walsham Marshes I do apologise but the wind, tide and bend of the river made it very hard to make safe progress and safely direct the cruisers bearing down on me from both directions. 

Most private boat owners were excellent. It's not hard to pass a sailing boat safely. I hope it won't be presumptuous of me to post my tips in another thread. 

That's all for now. Back home tomorrow. Hope to be back next year as usual. I'll keep up to date via the forum. 

Safe boating

Myer

• Like 5

Thanks everyone. I've had a great week and the weather's been better than the BBC threatened.

Most private boat owners were excellent. It's not hard to pass a sailing boat safely. I hope it won't be presumptuous of me to post my tips in another thread. 

Myer, Hi. Good to hear you've had a great week!  B)

We look forward to your tips in the near future!  :clap