The Real Cost of boating

johnb

I've been reading this thread with interest and there's been some useful data posted. I've been toying with the idea of owning either a boat or a syndicate share in the future. I think its hard to assess anything in life purely on cost, for me it's all about value and fit for what you want. Those of you getting over 100 days afloat each year you're getting fantastic value for money in my view. Alas I work full time and live 5 hours from the Broads so I'd struggle to get close to that! As a frequent hirer and also wanting to spend some holiday time away from the Broads, I think syndicate ownership would suit me better. I'm currently a bit frustrated on that subject because I think the fixed week system would suit me better than the lottery one but the fixed week boats (Ranworth Breeze and Southern Crusader) both look lovely but I would miss the Ant far too much.

• Like 1

Horses for courses I suppose but despite spending far to much of our disposable income on buying and running the boat for me the real beauty of owning a boat is having all your own stuff on board at all times.

It really is a case of the suns out lets go boating, I know it's rare but if it is persisting it down of rain I can think of better things to be doing than boating, well maybe  not but it is preferable to do the other chores that life throws at you when it is raining and boat when the weather is good.

I even looked into beds on boats as a means of paying for the upkeep but soon dismissed it when I realised I could no longer leave everything on board.

I guess while we can scrape together the pennies we will enjoy our boat, when we can't I'm sure something new will come along. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I've been reading this thread with interest and there's been some useful data posted. I've been toying with the idea of owning either a boat or a syndicate share in the future. I think its hard to assess anything in life purely on cost, for me it's all about value and fit for what you want. Those of you getting over 100 days afloat each year you're getting fantastic value for money in my view. Alas I work full time and live 5 hours from the Broads so I'd struggle to get close to that! As a frequent hirer and also wanting to spend some holiday time away from the Broads, I think syndicate ownership would suit me better. I'm currently a bit frustrated on that subject because I think the fixed week system would suit me better than the lottery one but the fixed week boats (Ranworth Breeze and Southern Crusader) both look lovely but I would miss the Ant far too much.

Hi Simon,

Southern Crusader does operate on fixed weeks but Ranworth Breeze's allocations are drawn out of the hat each year.

Regards

Alan

• 6 years later...

Some variation in depth!

I have a Verl 790 yacht or small sailboat. She has a draft of 4' 9''.

Quite deep compared to some mentioned. I could hinge the keel to have full depth at sea and have it at 3' 9'' for inland waters.

I have a Volvo Penta 10 hp diesel inboard but can one still use sail if lowered?

My mast is 30 feet, are there issues there with bridges and overhead obstructions?

It's a decision one may have to take in making alterations

So what would it cost for say 6 months on the water there. More sheltered for winter!

I would love to spend some months there but is my boat practicle?

Besides seeing all the Scottishe western Isles, I'm moored near the faslane sub base so in a good position for those. If i bring her around the top of scotland or through the caledoniancanal and then down there. It would give me the latter part of summer there and the worst of the winter. I presently live in Blyth Northumberland but altering the keel would give me a life on the water.

My dream! Come the following spring crossong the North sea and seeing the Baltic states or Norway to the East is so appealling. Sailing up the Fyords, knowing that there is 4500 feet of water below ones bow. Thought provoking!

I enjoy painting so all of the above offers such fantastic views.

The broads i would love and it would be sheltered for the winter butthen I need to consider heating. Propant or natural fuels, your views please.

Can one more for 6 months on the broads and is there a cost for being on the water. With mine being 26 feet what would the charge be?

Another consideration, a freeezer. Do some run on 12/24 volts.

Has anyone  any experience with solar panels and the storage. A full days sun would provide how may watts?

I want to fit a shower inside the cabin in where the toilet is. A solar panel would prevent goose bumps from the icy water. Are there places to wash and shower on route. laundering ones clothes another consideration.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the subjects discussed.

Considering ones financial outlay is a must, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Philip Coleman.

at 30 feet you will have problems, unless you have a tabernacle and can lower the mast, the bridge on the new cut is about 26 foot, and that will restrict where you could go on the southern rivers, you might get up to Norwich, at least as far as the postwick viaduct, but after that you will need to be able to lower your mast, as for the Northern waters, you will need to get under about 10 foot to access them at all, then there are numerous bridges.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

at 30 feet you will have problems, unless you have a tabernacle and can lower the mast, the bridge on the new cut is about 26 foot, and that will restrict where you could go on the southern rivers, you might get up to Norwich, at least as far as the postwick viaduct, but after that you will need to be able to lower your mast, as for the Northern waters, you will need to get under about 10 foot to access them at all, then there are numerous bridges.

A map would assist me, understanding the explorable regions.It's new to me.

I imagine i'll have two issues, the mast and the keel. The mast can be lowered if I set a block and tackle up. Such bridges could help me lower it.

I could live full time on it full time. 3 months in the Med, France and Sweden, the broads in winter or the French waterways with a reduced keel.

What is the fishing like around the broads?

Thanks.

Have you thought of the Netherlands? Friesland is very like The Broads but much larger and deeper.

The advantages of Northern Holland are many, but I would put ease of access to the wonderful cruising in The Baltic and being able to cross and move about Holland, without lowering the mast, as most bridges are swing or lift at the top of the cruising yachtman's list.

Google "Staande Mast Route, Holland" and you will get some first hand write-ups.

20220627_045458.thumb.jpg.67055fff83f10284134e045be8f679cf.jpg

Depth can be more of a problem than height if the mast is easily dropable. I carry 30' of mast, but it can be down in less than 5 minutes if not carrying sail. The depth is about the same as you propose with the modification, and there are places I've touched bottom on low tides so certainly worth doing

Heating - I have an 'all in one' diesel heater that when I need it sits in the cockpit and is ducted through a hole in the washboard. On remotes so I can operate it from inside. Works great and was only around £100

Last time I sailed over the top of Scotland we ended up in Blyth, as we ran out of time, We had been planning to reach Grimsby. We got stuck in Stonehaven as a storm went over ..

Round the top is rough waters even in calm weather it says on the charts..

On the Broads

Broads tax for your boat will be just under £400 a year (they don't do monthly) You Would also require a 4 year Broads safety test. you are looking maybe £300, but it's variable and I can't find a current list price.

Mooring's even at 3ft 9 inches you are pushing it, At Horning sailing club I'm not sure we have any moorings that could guarantee that. Especially this weekend where we had very low water.. though all that would happen is your keel would sink into the mud..

3ft 9in would be OK on the Northern Rivers but not on all Broads... this link takes You to the Broads Hydrographic Survey. https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/water-depths

A quick look at a general map of the broads online should place the individual sections of the survey.

Moorings Live aboard Marina moorings are like hens teeth, very few and far between, the public moorings are free but are 24 hour only, Though I believe they are generous and allow 48 hours in the winter.

None of the Bridges I know of, would help you lower a mast, due to traffic over / under the bridge and tidal flow.. Most of the Broadland rivers are tidal ranging from maybe 6mph in Great Yarmouth down two 2mph incoming at Horning which is 19 miles inland by river..

There are a few laundrettes scattered around , Wroxham has one and Stalham, there will be others.

A diesel heater would probably be best, for some reason small gas bottles seem to be in short supply at the moment, and you already have diesel onboard. there are plenty of boatyards that supply diesel.

This Link to the Norfolk Broads Sailing Association site will give you much more information.

http://www.thegreenbook.org.uk/

click on the words Green book on the left, then you see the index, then click on the page you are interested in and it will take you there.

A fridge or freezer would require some running the engine regularly to charge batteries, you don't have enough available area on a sailing Yacht for sufficient solar panels alone.

• Like 1

Oulton Broad Yacht Station May tick all of your boxes, very close to Mutford Lock for easy access to and from the sea.

they also have electrical hook up, showers, Laundry and plenty of water depth.

this would give you access to the southern rivers with only 1 bridge to lower your mast between the outskirts of Norwich, Lowestoft & Gt Yarmouth.

If you contact Paul Rice (Harbour Master) he could provide you with all the costs involved.

• Like 2

Hi Philip Solar water heating on a 28ft boat is a no especially in winter battery charging for lights yes, as said earlier Oulton Broad Yacht station is your best bet, Cabin heating is cheapest with wood then diesel with water heating as a add on,Oulton has electric points but cost. There is  moorings at Beccles bridge for high boats but no services. John