Advice

SarahTshirt

Welcome Sarah. I'll try to post you a bit more info later (got to go out)

Probably best child friendly pub is arguably the Bridge Inn at Acle. How old are the children?

Most places are easily accessible from the river. 

If it's your first time you might be better to stick to the 'Northern' rivers. 

• Like 1

Hi Sarah, a very warm welcome aboard the Forum :wave

Couldn't agree more with regards to the Bridge Inn, also try the New Inn at Horning, a lovely river front garden and games room for the children, it is stern on mooring there but a very helpful fella by the name of Gus will help you in, always a good idea to phone ahead and book a mooring as can get very busy, also at Horning, The Ferry, did used to have a games room I believe but not sure now, haven't been in there for a couple of years.

Have a lovely time

Grace

Hello, Sarah,

Welcome to the NBN Forum.

I agree if this is your first visit, stick to the Northern Broads, at Stokesby there is a small green with swings ect and the ferry inn just down from the green. The Ferry Inn at Horning no longer has its games room but I am not to sure about the amusements that were outside.

Regards

Alan & Tan

• Like 1

Hi Sarah

Looks like you have 4 days to play with and with younger children I would suggest giving Great Yarmouth a miss.

I would tend to give Coltishall a miss too, I think the boat you have will probably not go under Wroxham Bridge anyway and although it’s a pretty place there is not a lot for younger children. I would be inclined to head down river to Salhouse Broad. This is a good place for kids as there is a stretch of sandy beach ideal for paddling and woodland paths to explore. Carrying on down river you will come to Horning. Very popular and as the others have said, a good place to moor is the New Inn. There you will find Gus, who is a lovely character, who will help you moor. The protocol is that if you have a meal there you can moor overnight free of charge. Otherwise Gus will usually let you moor during the day if space permits but again use of the pub is preferred. There is an arcade and a very good riverside terrace with plenty of room for the kids. There are also public moorings at Horning which are very popular. Best chance of mooring here is mid morning or mid afternoon.

There is a children’s theme park called Bewilderwood between Hoveton and Horning. Unfortunately it is not readily accessible from the river but might be worth a look if you can arrange transport.

Carrying on further down river, Ranworth is a very popular stop. It can get very busy though and again best time to arrive would be mid morning or mid afternoon.

Downriver from Ranworth is the turn off to the left for the River Ant. A short way up you will find Ludham Bridge. There is a shop and about 400m up the road is the Dog Inn. An excellent pub with plenty of room for the kids but could be a longish walk for very little ones.

Further up the Ant is How Hill with loads of moorings and space for kids to run around. You can go further up to Stalham but mooring is quite difficult and may be best avoided for your first trip. There is a good pub at Neatishead but it is quite a ‘grown up’ place and mooring is tight. Sutton may be worth a look with a nice pub and I think from memory they have pool table and kids play area at the back.

If you go back down the Ant and return to the Bure there are plenty of moorings at St Bennets abbey. Carry on down the Bure and to the left is the River Thurne. Here you can carry on to Womack Water (Ludham) which is a pretty mooring with shops and a pub in the village. Carry on up the river and you will come to Potter Heigham. The boat you have will definitely not go through the bridge here I’m afraid but there are plenty of public moorings and additional space in Herbert Woods boatyard. Potter Heigham is the home of Lathams – ideal for cut priced bargain shopping!

Back down the Thurne and on to the Bure again you will come to Acle. In my humble opinion the Bridge Inn is probably the best on the Broads. Good food and plenty for the kids with a big riverside garden, rides and an amusement arcade. Again it is popular so best to arrive reasonably early if you can although there are other moorings above the bridge.

Finally you could continue to Stokesby where there is the Ferry Inn, again with a garden and some children’s play equipment. As others have said there is a village green again with space for the kids.

I probably wouldn’t bother going any further as there isn’t much beyond this point as you would be heading for Yarmouth which is a couple of hours away.

Its worth investing in a bag of corn if the kids might like to feed the ducks and swans and its a lot better for them than bread!

Hope this gives some ideas but please ask any questions and I’m sure we’ll do our best to help. Many people say just chill and go with the flow and this is probably the best advice. Above all, have a great time and please let us know how you get on!

• Like 5

Hi Sarah,

A very warm welcome to the NBN Forum:wave

Remember you can moor at all the hire yards, bar busy change over times. Have a wonderful time and be prepared like the rest of us, to be smitten by the Broads!:party:

cheersIain

8 hours ago, Gracie said:

Hi Sarah, a very warm welcome aboard the Forum :wave

Couldn't agree more with regards to the Bridge Inn, also try the New Inn at Horning, a lovely river front garden and games room for the children, it is stern on mooring there but a very helpful fella by the name of Gus will help you in, always a good idea to phone ahead and book a mooring as can get very busy, also at Horning, The Ferry, did used to have a games room I believe but not sure now, haven't been in there for a couple of years.

Have a lovely time

Grace

Hi Sarah and welcome from me.

Gracie The Ferry at Horning has had a change. What was the games room is now a restaurant area I believe. Last time I was there they had a kid's play area outside including a double decker play bus.

It's time you paid them a visit Grace, my wife says the carvery was one of the best she has ever had.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Sarah, welcome.

Ranworth has a nice big green for ball games etc, right next to the mooring; there is a floating wildlife centre well worth going to and the climb up the church tower gives you spectacular views.

Salhouse is good for children too with plenty of play space from a sloping beach, there is canoe hire there too.

Likewise there is a lot of run about area at Sutton Staithe, a great traditional pub with games room and very good food, the Sutton Staithe Hotel is right by the mooring.

Easter will be fairly busy so aim to be moored up by about 4pm would be my suggestion as spaces may be in demand. A don't worry too much about mooring go slowly using short bursts of power rather than lots of it. People will help.

LIFEJACKETS  for everyone when out of the cockpit on deck or on shore near the water will be a very good family policy.

• Like 5

A couple of members have recommended the New Inn at Horning. I agree that it is very good, but if you want a mooring or a meal, it is well worth booking ahead, especially at busy periods such as Easter. Their phone number is 01692 631223.

Enjoy!

cheers

Steve

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like you have a severe case dose of the Broads Bug Sarah. Unfortunately this condition is incurable but can be kept at bay by regular visits to Norfolk. you will however have to deal with the withdrawal symptoms when you return home which can be eased by booking another trip.

Seriously have a great time and take it all slowly

:wave

• Like 3

Hope you and the family all enjoy your time afloat Sarah. It does indeed become quite obsessive! I find myself looking at the webcams and studying all the boats for hire even though I've already got the next trip booked. :)

• Like 1