Accident Last August At Acle

addicted

Last August we moored at Acle to take down our canopy, radar

arch etc. in preparation for going through Yarmouth and were waiting for

the tide  when a hire boat came in in front of us. As one of the "crew" jumped

off  with the ropes she fell foul of the uneven surface and the crack we heard

was her breaking her leg.  We did what we could to help and very fortunately,

the next two ladies on the scene were nurses. One of them took charge in la really proficient way

and stayed  with the patient until the arrival of the ambulance. 

Does anyone out there know anything about this incident?

We have often wondered  what the outcome of this was as it looked to be a pretty 

serious break. I don't remember the name of the hire boat but I think it was hired from

the company adjacent to the Acle road bridge.

Regards

Carole

Edited by addicted
typing error

I'll never waste an opportunity to point out that the way to look cool, is to look like you moor up like you do it every day.

Never jump, alway step off a boat. Walk nonchalantly to the mooring post and tie the craft whilst appearing to be wondering what wine might go best with the Foie gras you were planning on having for lunch.

• Like 11

Thoroughly agree.  I find that I am not agile enough to 'jump' so have to wait until Martin is right against the side before even attempting it.  If the wind is blowing us off then it takes a while!

I know that we should be able to find moorings that are blowing us on, but I don't particularly like overgrown/wild moorings and we need somewhere where we can get Rosie off safely.  One of the problems with dogs with little legs, she mostly needs carrying!

SueH

Yes you're right about never jumping off to moor. I learnt that the hard way. or maybe  I should say the wet way!  On a previous occasion on the Ouse I jumped onto a section of the bank that unbeknown to me had been undercut by the river and a  whole chunk of the bank collapsed into the river taking me with it!  My husband hauled me out muttering something about a diet being required! . Regarding my original post, I was  hoping that maybe someone had been hiring a  boat at the same time from the same yard and maybe would know how the injured lady fared. Because it was obviously a bad break probably involving both bones in the lower leg, we've remained rather concerned as to the outcome. There were two families on board and fortunately they were at the end of their holiday rather than the beginning so not all was lost.

Yep we try to do it the MM way, I never jump, I could, but I won't .  It was an early lesson in boating when 'the bank' turned out to be an overhang complete with brambles. I ended up to my ankles in mud and up to my bum in brambles. 

• Like 2

The worst jump off mooring I have seen was the son in law, jumped off too far from the mooring but landed perfectly, no nettles, hurt ankles or even slipping in the wet.

Only thing that went wrong was he hadn't picked the mooring rope up before jumping and the daughter over ran the spot leaving him on the bank!

Jumping to moor, would you jump off to tie up that jumbo jet?

Jill won't get off to tie up unless we are alongside after landing in nettles.

paul

• Like 1

My wife did a delicate step off to moor us up at the bottom of the ant. 

The steel piling and wooden heading were fine. Unfortunately no ground on the land side and went down to here knee in mud and nasty water. 

Lukily no major injuries, but of course it was my fault!

this was the first time we found a use for the shower on the swim platform as I wasnt letting her onboard all stinky and wet. 

The accident mentioned sounded pretty nasty and a reminder to look before you leap. Hope the lady recovered as well as can be expected. 

On 05/03/2016 at 11:30 AM, sueh said:

Thoroughly agree.  I find that I am not agile enough to 'jump' so have to wait until Martin is right against the side before even attempting it.  If the wind is blowing us off then it takes a while!

I know that we should be able to find moorings that are blowing us on, but I don't particularly like overgrown/wild moorings and we need somewhere where we can get Rosie off safely.  One of the problems with dogs with little legs, she mostly needs carrying!

SueH

Being blown off should not be a problem with the right technique. My approach, which even works single handed is like this.

Take a mooring rope that is almost the legth of the boat and make both ends off to a midships cleat. You now have a huge loop. Keep this ready.

As you approach, from the safety of the cockpit, drop this loop over a post or cleat that will end up near the stern.

Keep going very gently forwards until this loop is under load.

Keep the engine running and in gear with as many revs as are needed and the helm turning you out from the bank. You will now lie comfortably alongside with no need for other ropes.

Step gently and carefully ashore to secure your mooring ropes. There's no rush.

Once everything is secure, turn off the engine and remove your inittial loop, or convert it to a spring if needed.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Speleologist said:

Being blown off should not be a problem with the right technique. My approach, which even works single handed is like this.

Take a mooring rope that is almost the legth of the boat and make both ends off to a midships cleat. You now have a huge loop. Keep this ready.

As you approach, from the safety of the cockpit, drop this loop over a post or cleat that will end up near the stern.

Keep going very gently forwards until this loop is under load.

Keep the engine running and in gear with as many revs as are needed and the helm turning you out from the bank. You will now lie comfortably alongside with no need for other ropes.

Step gently and carefully ashore to secure your mooring ropes. There's no rush.

Once everything is secure, turn off the engine and remove your inittial loop, or convert it to a spring if needed.

Sounds a smart idea but supposing you don't have midship cleats?.........

Stern footwear, are they flats? :naughty: You want to try stepping off a Boat in heels, no mean feat I can tell you. My friends and me moored at the Swan Inn for an afternoon of food and drink, heels, posh frocks the whole lot, can't think why people were staring, anyone would think we looked out of place :naughty: You should have seen what some of THEM were wearing, deck shoes, captains hats and all sorts, any one would think they were on Boats:facepalm:

Grace

• Like 5