Dilham Staithe

Essexgirl

Drifting off topic somewhat (no change there then) :naughty: on the way to Dilham you would pass Hunsett Mill. The fisrt picture was taken in the very early 80's and would be in the twighlight of its glory (chocolate box) days. The second was taken in 2010 probably very shortly after the extension was done. It caused a lot of controvosy at the time I recall but was all above board with planning approval obtained I believe. Make up your own mind!

Hunsett Mill early 80s.jpg

Hunsett Mill 2010.JPG

• Like 2

I'm sorry but how can anyone think that the second photo Howard posted of Hunsett is as beautiful as the first, how on earth it won best design in 2010 is beyond me.

I remember many years ago cruising past with my Dad and thinking when I grow up I'm going to buy that little cottage, even if my numbers eventually come up, I wouldn't now, no change there for the better in my opinion :facepalm:

Grace

• Like 7

2 hours ago, riyadhcrew said:

Personally, I do not like it, but it won the best design in the UK in 2010.

Were the judges sick, or just blind. 

It`s pig ugly, and if the BA want to get tough with people on Thorpe island, why on earth have they let this blatant act of public indecency go through?. Our illustrious mr Packman does`nt live there, does he?.

• Like 6

Architects, town planners and council highways departments et al...all used to meet in Yates Wine Lodges. Business has now been moved to Wetherspoons so they can use the kids crayons to complete their designs before unleashing them on the public! Well known fact that is! :naughty:

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Architects, town planners and council highways departments et al...all used to meet in Yates Wine Lodges. Business has now been moved to Wetherspoons so they can use the kids crayons to complete their designs before unleashing them on the public! Well known fact that is! :naughty:

Not sure you are right Tim,:norty: ideas, sorry professional planning, I believe, though not substaniated, was carried out at the Public Conveniences next to Norwich Market !:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Not sure you are right Tim,:norty: ideas, sorry professional planning, I believe, though not substaniated, was carried out at the Public Conveniences next to Norwich Market !:naughty:

cheersIain

Not so much a 'blinkered' approach as 'stalled' in every sense of the word?

• Like 2

I have an idea - instead of starting all over again on Hunsett Mill, lets just resurrect the innumerable pages that were generated at the time!! Save everyone a lot of typing!!!

Architecture is a matter of view - quality architecture will last the test of time but suffice it to say there are some who like the new addition.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marshman said:

I have an idea - instead of starting all over again on Hunsett Mill, lets just resurrect the innumerable pages that were generated at the time!! Save everyone a lot of typing!!!

Architecture is a matter of view - quality architecture will last the test of time but suffice it to say there are some who like the new addition.

I am sure that there are some who like the new creation, but for me it reminds me of the "kings new suit of clothes" and these people, in the fullness of time, will be remembered as those who were manipulated by a misguided authority.

Andrew

• Like 3

You are exactly right Timbo - the two traditional wherries left, Maud and Albion, are not necessarily representative of the vast majority of wherries built. Both are quite large but many smaller ones worked the upper reaches of the northern Rivers especially and if you look back at the lists of old wherries in e.g. Black Sailed Traders, you will see many smaller ones.

Some of the smaller ones which used to work the marl pits at Little Switzerland were i believe under 30,' a different kettle of fish to the larger ones. Sadly none exist afloat although you can get an idea of the size by looking at the "modern" Maid of the Mist alongside the tin roofed house at Wayford.

I suppose if ever a new wherry were to be built (never!! ) you would look at building a 40'/45' one - that in itself would be a challenge but might be of historical interest in that one of that size would have been able to reach most places.  It would also be easier to maintain!!!

52 minutes ago, marshman said:

suppose if ever a new wherry were to be built (never!! ) you would look at building a 40'/45' one - that in itself would be a challenge but might be of historical interest in that one of that size would have been able to reach most places.  It would also be easier to maintain!!!

Sounds like a nice project for you and Doug, once you complete RT! :naughty: Get building !!! :party:

cheersIain

• 2 months later...
On 24 March 2016 at 9:25 AM, Essexgirl said:

Hi everyone - well we have bitten the bullet and have now purchased Kestrel, a 42ft Alphacraft which needs a little TLC but nothing major (thanks to all the good work done by Maffetts previously). We will be picking her up from Wroxham next week and would like to explore the Northern Broads a little as we normally stay down south. A quick question - we have been to Dilham in a 35ft boat. What the chances of being able to turn Kestrel in the basin at Dilham? Has anyone taken a 42ft+ boat that far? I know that if boats are moored there it will be tricky.

Thank you,

Andrea

We managed with King of light ,tight though

Andy

On 24 March 2016 at 10:26 PM, NorfolkNog said:

Its just struck me that we don't have any pictures if anyone is not familiar with the moorings at Dilham. Here are a few if these are of any help. As can be seen the moorings are on a dogleg but there is room in the basin to turn with care as others have said.

dilham 1.JPG

dilham 2.JPG

dilham 3.JPG

dilham 4.JPG

Dilham is one of our favourite places, we will be visiting quite a bit in our Calypso,

at 28 ft we shouldn't have much problem turning if the basin is full

• Like 3

I took a trip up to Dilham a week ago, I followers a boat past the bungalows and when we came to the mooring basin there was already 3 boats moored up. The boat in front tried to turn round in the basin so wasn't room to pass so I turned Nipper by the bungalows in about 30ft of river. Took it slow and had no problems just wouldn't want to meet someone coming the other way.

Doug.

• Like 2