Dilham Staithe

Essexgirl

Hi everyone - well we have bitten the bullet and have now purchased Kestrel, a 42ft Alphacraft which needs a little TLC but nothing major (thanks to all the good work done by Maffetts previously). We will be picking her up from Wroxham next week and would like to explore the Northern Broads a little as we normally stay down south. A quick question - we have been to Dilham in a 35ft boat. What the chances of being able to turn Kestrel in the basin at Dilham? Has anyone taken a 42ft+ boat that far? I know that if boats are moored there it will be tricky.

Thank you,

Andrea

Hi Andrea, we took Thunder  up there last Sept hoping to get a mooring and with some trepidation as she is 43ft. There were none available and to make it worse  some one was also moored over the Basin. We managed to turn her with some assistance  but had to move another boat a little  to fit  Thunders bow in between. So.. in answer to your  question if you are 42 ft it can be done even with other Boats there     

46 minutes ago, Mark said:

Hi Andrea, we took Thunder  up there last Sept hoping to get a mooring and with some trepidation as she is 43ft. There were none available and to make it worse  some one was also moored over the Basin. We managed to turn her with some assistance  but had to move another boat a little  to fit  Thunders bow in between. So.. in answer to your  question if you are 42 ft it can be done even with other Boats there     

Did you not fancy the 400 yard reverse?!

Janet was tempted but we  wanted to protect your asset too. Might have to give it  a go  at Upton Dyke in May though, just hope any damage does,nt spoil the next users week.. Oh,  that would be  you :facepalm:  

Dilham is def worth a try, but maybe better in May then your Summer one,  and you surprise  me with Upton as I thought it was narrower,  so will certainly give that a go as have never ventured up there    

• Like 1

Upton is well worth the effort IMHO - the White Horse is an excellent pub cheersbar

Dilham also well worth a visit too. Agree fully with advice so far. The mooring basin is a bit tight but can be turned with care. I believe Hathor has even been up there. The final approach to the Staithe is quite narrow with a few private boats moored on the port side. One trick with Dilham is to use the Horning approach and try to moor mid to late morning. As others have said I would tend to avoid peak times to be on the safe side. Like Potter Heigham the Bridge at Wayford does limit the boats that can get there too. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mark said:

Dilham is def worth a try, but maybe better in May then your Summer one,  and you surprise  me with Upton as I thought it was narrower,  so will certainly give that a go as have never ventured up there    

I'm not saying it was easy!

like you say you need to get your bow I between the boats.

• Like 1

Definitely use the ropes... We watched a group trying to turn a big cruiser at Stalham one year, for every attempt they made to turn under motor, they simply blew back with the wind... They wouldn't listen, but when I expressed my concern they were about to park the beast on my tiny little sailing boat and offered to take a line, they were round in moments...  So simple to just walk the boat round...

• Like 2

Its just struck me that we don't have any pictures if anyone is not familiar with the moorings at Dilham. Here are a few if these are of any help. As can be seen the moorings are on a dogleg but there is room in the basin to turn with care as others have said.

dilham 1.JPG

dilham 2.JPG

dilham 3.JPG

dilham 4.JPG

• Like 9

Absolutely love Dilham, and a nice quiet place to stay. We`ll be on Lightning from late June, and intend going up there for a night. One bit of advice, if you are going to use Kestrel in September, go to Dilham, and pick some fresh blackberries, as they line the river bank for quite a way. We picked loads and made a couple of blackberry and apple pies that evening. Yummy.

• Like 2

I like Dilham too and the river between Wayford and there is as lovely as the rest of the Ant. The biggest boat I've turned there is 37 foot but there was a fair bit of room to spare. For turning in tight spots I favour the bow rope tight round a post, rudder hard over, gentle throttle approach.

Kestrel - Maffetts didn't keep it long. Wasn't it formerly Citation at Sabena Marine? I can remember seeing it in the Sabena days and thinking the engine sounded like it had a few hours on the clock!

Dilham has always been one of my favourite places as it is quiet, apart from the road traffic although that disappears at night. A lovely cruise up that part of the Ant, ever so slightly spoilt now by the tragic eco-friendly ( I presume) alterations to Hunsett Mill.

Lovely pictures from NorfolkNog by the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liberty said:

What's happened to Hunsett Mill?

It was chocolate box, its now IMHO a tin box!:hardhat: I look to port as we head towards Wayford and blink lots on the return trip Sorry, but I just don't like the alterations.:norty:

cheersIain

• Like 2