Excellent, Cheap Tablet Computer...

I know a number of Forumites like to keep a tab on things like speed, where they are, and generally keep up to speed with events (like on here) when they are on the water.

Some of you, like me use a Laptop to do this, others a phone but perhaps a tablet might be the best choice.

Now I am loathed to pay out for an iPad of any type because of the cost – having owned two iPads before and since Shiela has a new iPad it just feels too much like a larger iPhone – which I guess it is really, but the cost no I am getting older now and see the sense past the style.

However, I like the idea of the larger screen, the apps one can use for navigation and mapping which tend to be a little easier to use on a larger screen. I have therefore been looking for a good priced Android tablet for some time.

Such a tablet has to have GPS, a good IPS high resolution screen and not be too slow in its use with little lag between Apps. 

I have found just such a tablet, and having taken the plunge in getting it – oh and one for my dad too, it has passed the ‘Rascal Test’ so time I shared the good news here.  It is the Lenovoa Tab 2 A8 – an 8” Android tablet that for the spec conscious of you has a 1280 x 800 pixel screen, Andorid 5.0 Lollipop (which is raw not skinned by Lenova and without a bunch of App Bloatware) has GPS, Bluetooth, 5MP rear camera and a 2MP front camera and about a 9 hour battery life. It weighs in at under 300grams and has a nippy quad core processer running at 1.3 GHz. 

In real life it’s bleeding good.  Only shows any sign of lag if you have two or more high memory usage Apps running, but even then it is negligible. It has a bright, rich vivid screen with great contrast, excellent touch capabilities too along with two front facing speakers and Dolby sound means surprising good, well spaced stereo sound.

The best part? It costs – delivered £59.99!

These are from Argos’s Ebay Store – are fully factory refurbished units – having got two, I can vouch for them being as new – no marks on screen or case and have a full Argos 12 Month guarantee. 

Link to Buy

So, maybe for father’s day – maybe for the boat – you name it I don’t think you can go wrong, so of speed apps, maps, etc playing music watching a film these little tablets will do it all for a cheap price. I say get yourself one before they are gone!   

Tab_1.jpgTab_3.jpgTab 2.jpgTab_4.jpg

• Like 2

I bought a Lenovo A10 around 6 months ago and rate the capability and build quality of this tablet highly. I also have an iPad, but prefer the Android operating system. We use the Lenovo on the boat for checking weather forecasts, e-mail and justabout everything else that we use the laptop for at home.

cheers

Steve

3 hours ago, andy said:

And the Lenovo A10 10.1 Inch 16GB is only £67.99 

I noticed that one in Argos's ebay shop too Andy, but it wasn't too clear if it has a built in GPS. It's mentioned once in the ebay listing, but not the detailed spec..

I tried researching it elsewhere on the web but I couldn't find anything conclusive.

Does it have GPS Steve ?

It would be a real show stopper for me if it didn't.

Also, I've had 7" and 10" android tablets, and I'm thinking that 8" might be the ideal size for me, as the 10" was no longer "pocketable"....  :)

I'm awkward as I've got 2 tablets for the boat. Motorola media edition 10" tab for navigation apps  and quick photos and the Lenovo yoga tab 2 13" (with built in projector) for movies music etc.

The Lenovo tab is the best I've ever had. Great screen quality and battery life is amazing when watching movies.

8 hours ago, SteveO said:

Yes, my A10 does have GPS. I can't speak for the 8 inch model though. I echo Brandenjg's comments about screen/display quality and battery life.

cheers

Steve

It was mentioned more positively on the 8" in the Argos listing spec and in Robin's review.

My offspring always thinks he knows better than anyone else when it comes to this sort of technology and he is telling me that this is a much better bargain! I could do with some advice! I was initially convinced by Robin!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Iconia-Inch-16GB-Tablet/dp/B01DFR3VVY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466087024&sr=8-2&keywords=Acer+Iconia+One+7+Inch+16GB+Tablet

cheers

16 hours ago, VetChugger said:

My offspring always thinks he knows better than anyone else when it comes to this sort of technology and he is telling me that this is a much better bargain! I could do with some advice! I was initially convinced by Robin!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Iconia-Inch-16GB-Tablet/dp/B01DFR3VVY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466087024&sr=8-2&keywords=Acer+Iconia+One+7+Inch+16GB+Tablet

cheers

From what I can see on the listing that one doesn't have GPS which means if you get out of range of the phone signals the maps won't work.

This site does list if any of the tablets does or does not have any of the sensors.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/lenovo-tab-2-a10-70-2446?site=classic

my lubuntu laptop has gps (when I plug the aerial in) the GPS software displays a map, speed etc, and records my track, the maps are downloaded when online for offline use from Openstreetmap. if I find a radical error in the map, I can upload my track to assist them in correcting the map I can even use 2 gps programs simultaneously so can have the marine heading compass and speed open at the same time as the map, which gives me my speed to 0.01 mph (the map only giving speed to 0.1mph)

Open streetmap even shows the marker posts on Breydon (how accurately I am not 100% sure yet) whether it is accurate enough to navigate at night or in fog I dont know yet, in the car it usually shows a position a few seconds behind where I am, which at 60mph could be an issue, but I guess at 6mph is less critical.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you're right about that tablet Robin, I have one on order now to use as a repeater for my garmin plotter and as backup via marine navigator in case of garmin issues (already had a few so confidence is dented in the garmin).

I tried the garmin helm app on my phone last weekend and it worked well, sat on a table outside the ferryhouse viewing and controlling the plotter on the boat via it's own wifi, don't you just love technology (when it works...).

£62 seems better than a couple of hundred for something with limited configurability and get a bigger screen too.

We have an iPad and my Samsung on the boat, the Samsung is definately better than the iPad but baterry life on both is dire, usualy a couple of hours, what I'd like is a small laptop that can be charged from 12v

any laptop can be charged from 12v, either get a universal charger of the correct wattage( they will come with a variety of tips to plug in) or google the proper car charger for your laptop (particularly if its a dell with an awkward type of plug.

I have 3 car chargers for laptops, yet had to buy a dedicated dell one for this reason, these convert 12v input to  a higher voltage output to plug into the laptop, I think my three are variable up to about 22v.

Have you considered a Chromebook?

My mum has one and much prefers it to her old 'windows' Laptop.  Almost instant on, long battery life and light wight.  She is able to get online to any website, and use Google Drive's Apps to open and edit Word created do0cuments, Excel spreadsheets etc.

This is what she has and I have to say it is very good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NWHV4E4 

I bought one of these refurbished tablets and it seems pretty comprehensive. The only disappointment, which is my own fault for not checking, is that it does not have a slot for a sim card. I also noticed that I could have bought a brand spanking one for £20 more.

No need for a SIM so far as I can see, I can use my phone as a hotspot and share its data link over WiFi or, use my MiFi dongle (which is more likely) when out and about or on the boat. Had it come with a SIM that is another plan, either monthly payments or pay as you go and that would only cover the tablet. 

I know new ones are not that much more, but seriously can you tell the difference between new and refurbished on these? Same 12 month warranty and as far as mine goes, not a mark on the case or screen and everything is working as should.  I just need a screen mount now and find a decent GPS speed app on Android